Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#10831 by pl1
Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:01 pm
I use a Person-to-Person Caller-ID blacklist system. The idea is that all good calls with Caller-ID go to my phone/answering machine and all non-caller-id calls, or those that I've blacklisted, go to a port that "can" have another answering machine or just simply ring forever.

Unfortunately, the second option is not available with Ooma since all calls that are not picked up are answered by the system's VM. It would be helpful if we could turn off VM entirely as an option. But, it's not a big deal. It would just be nice to let these bill collectors suffer.

(These bill collectors I'm speaking of have been calling me for over four years now, trying to reach the former owner of my phone number. I've threatened legal action, and then it stops for a few months, and then it starts again.)
#10846 by von
Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:06 pm
I think if you blacklist the caller, and select "Blocked" from the drop down menu, that should do the trick...
#10857 by pl1
Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:08 am
von wrote:I think if you blacklist the caller, and select "Blocked" from the drop down menu, that should do the trick...
True enough if I was using the premium service. What I did instead was to pay a one time fee of $100 for a device that blacklists calls. I really do not use my home phone for anything other than screening incoming calls, so the only thing I really need is CID.
#10862 by daet
Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:11 am
pl1 wrote:
von wrote:I think if you blacklist the caller, and select "Blocked" from the drop down menu, that should do the trick...
True enough if I was using the premium service. What I did instead was to pay a one time fee of $100 for a device that blacklists calls. I really do not use my home phone for anything other than screening incoming calls, so the only thing I really need is CID.

If I understand you correctly, then I think you need to log in to the lounge, go to Preferences -> Voicemail, and set the ooma voicemail to pick up the call after something like 59 seconds (or 10 rings).

Then set your home answering machine to pick up calls after 4 rings (24 seconds).

That way, your home answering machine will pick up your calls before ooma's voicemail has a chance to.
#10863 by scottlindner
Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:28 am
daet wrote:
pl1 wrote:

If I understand you correctly, then I think you need to log in to the lounge, go to Preferences -> Voicemail, and set the ooma voicemail to pick up the call after something like 59 seconds (or 10 rings).

Then set your home answering machine to pick up calls after 4 rings (24 seconds).

That way, your home answering machine will pick up your calls before ooma's voicemail has a chance to.

Unless someone is already leaving a message, your phone service is out, or you are talking and don't notice call waiting , which will result in Ooma's VM taking the message.
#10865 by pl1
Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:52 am
daet wrote:If I understand you correctly, then I think you need to log in to the lounge, go to Preferences -> Voicemail, and set the ooma voicemail to pick up the call after something like 59 seconds (or 10 rings).

Look at it this way. There is an incoming call that can be distributed two ways. One port to a phone and the other port to junk. I want the junk calls to ring until the caller hangs up. Unfortunately, Ooma VM picks up.
#10866 by scottlindner
Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:02 am
pl1 wrote:
daet wrote:If I understand you correctly, then I think you need to log in to the lounge, go to Preferences -> Voicemail, and set the ooma voicemail to pick up the call after something like 59 seconds (or 10 rings).

Look at it this way. There is an incoming call that can be distributed two ways. One port to a phone and the other port to junk. I want the junk calls to ring until the caller hangs up. Unfortunately, Ooma VM picks up.

That's because there is no way to turn "off" the Ooma VM. I know you already know this. I'm just reiterating the simplicity of the need.

Scott
#10871 by pl1
Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:46 am
scottlindner wrote:That's because there is no way to turn "off" the Ooma VM. I know you already know this. I'm just reiterating the simplicity of the need.Scott
I think the same thing was true with Viatalk if I recall correctly. But, I'm pretty sure you can disable it in Vonage.
#10872 by scottlindner
Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:06 am
pl1 wrote:
scottlindner wrote:That's because there is no way to turn "off" the Ooma VM. I know you already know this. I'm just reiterating the simplicity of the need.Scott
I think the same thing was true with Viatalk if I recall correctly. But, I'm pretty sure you can disable it in Vonage.

I had a similar issue with Qwest with basic phone service. Without even knowing about it, they set me up with a voicemail box. Two and a half years later I learned about it and dialed in to check and found 100s of VMs dating back over that period. I was ticked. I had to spend 45 minutes on the phone to get them to "remove" it from my account. They said it can't be turned off, but they could somehow "remove" it from my account with tech support's assistance.

Maybe we should call Ooma support to see if this can be done by phone? It would be nice if it could be done in the lounge, but for my needs I just want the dial tone.

Scott
#10877 by Colanth
Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:30 am
pl1 wrote:(These bill collectors I'm speaking of have been calling me for over four years now, trying to reach the former owner of my phone number. I've threatened legal action, and then it stops for a few months, and then it starts again.)

Make a complaint in writing (send it signature requested) and keep the letter on the computer. Next call, include the complaint in your complaint to the FTC. They're violating federal law, and will be gigged big-time (including being put out of business in some cases).

Al