Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#10497 by scottlindner
Sat May 30, 2009 5:55 am
lohertz wrote:Ahh. its so nice to hear that everything is moving into "The Cloud" think of the conspiracy theories.

I guess it doesn't matter since the whole thing is over the Internet anyway. LOL

And no, there is no way to disable the Voice mail system. You can do as suggested earlier but there is no real solution

This should be moved to Feature Requests. It's trivial to implement, just takes time among other things they are working on.

Cheers,
Scott
#10850 by sokha
Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:07 am
Scott,

if your HUB is out of sight or if you're away from the HUB, there is solution to your problem.

have you tried using the EMAIL or SMS features?
you can have Ooma send you the VM to your email or notify you via SMS.

let say while you're on the road, u don't need to call or log-on to Ooma to check your VM.
Ooma will email u the VM.
and i would assume you use email and you check your email probably several times a day.

thus, Ooma system is perfect right now.

regarding the original poster question using 3rd party answering machine...
i can't get my G.E. digital answering to work with Ooma.
but no complain though.
i prefer Ooma VM system with the email feature anyway.
#10852 by scottlindner
Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:46 am
sokha wrote:Scott,

if your HUB is out of sight or if you're away from the HUB, there is solution to your problem.

have you tried using the EMAIL or SMS features?
you can have Ooma send you the VM to your email or notify you via SMS.

let say while you're on the road, u don't need to call or log-on to Ooma to check your VM.
Ooma will email u the VM.
and i would assume you use email and you check your email probably several times a day.

thus, Ooma system is perfect right now.

regarding the original poster question using 3rd party answering machine...
i can't get my G.E. digital answering to work with Ooma.
but no complain though.
i prefer Ooma VM system with the email feature anyway.

That's very hoaky, plus it won't fly with the wife. Email isn't how we want to use our phones.

Scott
#10897 by sokha
Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:03 pm
you can just use email as notification system.
you mentioned in previous post that with your landline provider you missed important VM.

and b/c you want to install your Ooma hub in the rack, you won't have the visual feedback of the RED blinking light when there's a VM.

my suggestion is that b/c you use email, Ooma has a nice system where it notifies you either via SMS or email.
you don't have to check the VM thru your email.
but, at least it solved the problem of missing your VM.
#10912 by sokha
Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:43 am
hi Scott,

i failed to understand your logic.
why so important to turn off Ooma VM when there's solution already?

OPTION 1:
as BM1 responded to the original post, if you want to use your own answering machine, you can set Ooma VM to 59 seconds but set your answering machine to pickup before 59 seconds.

OPTION 2:
if you decide to use your own answering machine, would you place the machine on the network rack like you want to do with Ooma Hub? if yes, you would have the exact same problem of not seeing the message like you cannot see the big red LED of Ooma Hub. if no, then, why wouldn't you want to place the Ooma Hub the same location as the answering machine?

OPTION 3:
i assume you use email.
what's the problem of getting VM email notification from Ooma?
there's no cost involved.
obviously, you don't want to miss important VM as you previously stated with Qwest VM service. i also used Qwest. they don't have an email notification like Ooma. although, Qwest have a distinct dial tone IF you have VM. thus, i failed to see how you can miss those VM.

now, with the landline phone service, the caller will hear the phone rings for about 30 seconds then they will get a voice that said, "THERE'S NO ONE TO ANSWER YOUR CALL." and then, it continues to ring.
i don't think the caller would want to hear the phone rings for 10 minutes. thus, the way Ooma VM system right now is perfect.

anyway, just trying to help but i failed to understand your logic about why so important to have Ooma VM off when there's solution already.
#10913 by scottlindner
Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:48 am
sokha wrote:hi Scott,

i failed to understand your logic.
why so important to turn off Ooma VM when there's solution already?

OPTION 1:
as BM1 responded to the original post, if you want to use your own answering machine, you can set Ooma VM to 59 seconds but set your answering machine to pickup before 59 seconds.

OPTION 2:
if you decide to use your own answering machine, would you place the machine on the network rack like you want to do with Ooma Hub? if yes, you would have the exact same problem of not seeing the message like you cannot see the big red LED of Ooma Hub. if no, then, why wouldn't you want to place the Ooma Hub the same location as the answering machine?

OPTION 3:
i assume you use email.
there's no cost involved.
obviously, you don't want to miss important VM as you previously stated with Qwest VM service. i also used Qwest. they don't have an email notification like Ooma. although, Qwest have a distinct dial tone IF you have VM. thus, i failed to see how you can miss those VM.

now, with the landline phone service, the caller will hear the phone rings for about 30 seconds then they will get a voice that said, "THERE'S NO ONE TO ANSWER YOUR CALL." and then, it continues to ring.
i don't think the caller would want to hear the phone rings for 10 minutes. thus, the way Ooma VM system right now is perfect.

anyway, just trying to help but i failed to understand your logic about why so important to have Ooma VM off when there's solution already.

You are not listening. Those are not options, they are not a solution. There is only one option that will work. Omma fixing the Lounge so we can disable VM. That is the only option. We need to end this discussion. You cannot solve problems by telling people to change their lifestyle preferences.

Scott
#10915 by pl1
Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:54 am
sokha wrote:hi Scott, i failed to understand your logic.
why so important to turn off Ooma VM when there's solution already? OPTION 3: i assume you use email.
He has explained this quite a few times now. But here is my beef with receiving email or text messages. I don't want to receive a message from every single telemarketing (or bill collecting) caller. Even with a black list, you must first receive the call to mark it black listed. To me, that is merely converting junk phone calls to email spam and/or ringing up text messaging fees.

That said, when I'm expecting a very important call, I do like to set this feature up, and I've liked it very much, in particular cases. But for me, most people will call my cell phone, not my home phone, and it is usually an unknown person calling my home phone. As usual, everybody has different needs.
#10961 by sokha
Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:36 am
@pl1:

I don't want to receive a message from every single telemarketing (or bill collecting) caller. Even with a black list, you must first receive the call to mark it black listed.

and how would having VM OFF option as Scott requested solve the telemarketing calls from ringing?
you can't.
the first call still has to come thru.

from my experience, telemarketer rarely leaves a message.
thus, either you use your own answering machine or Ooma VM, it's the same result. thus, having the Ooma VM OFF option solves no problem.

and to answer the question of the original poster, which BW1 alreadly intelligently answered, just set your Ooma VM to 59 seconds and set your own answering machine before 59 seconds.
so yes, you can use your own answering machine.