Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#52589 by bamasteve
Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:09 pm
Thanks Bobby,

Your support here was so much better than what I got from your ooma call center. It works! The instructions about getting a virtual phone number weren't exactly clear until you sent me the e-mail. Greatly appreciate the help. I just paid for Ooma premiere.
#52590 by bamasteve
Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:39 pm
PHXHoward wrote:I have activated GVE Beta for Ooma. The outgoing caller ID works wonderfully.

When people call me, the phone connected to my Telo rings one time and then the Telo picks up the call and I can hear the the GV recording from the Telo speaker telling me to press 1 to pick up the call.

Very excited to have GVE functionality.

EDIT: I think I got it now. I changed the Auto answer delay in Ooma and it is ringing more than once.


So now that I got it to work, I'm wondering what your optimal auto answer delay is? How many seconds?
#52609 by dsinternet
Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:52 pm
bw1 wrote:If you make the 2nd number a GVVN, you won't be able to receive calls on that number and you'll need an additional number, which is $4.99 per month.

looks like I will not be able to test it out. If Ooma wants to help me out with a 3rd phone number I would willing to test it again.
#52669 by bamasteve
Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:24 pm
I am very pleased that this is working. Now to finetune the setup. I have one OOMA - GV interface tweak that I was hoping to setup. I've got it set up for voicemails transcribed in google voice to send text messages to our cell phones and e-mail addresses.

It sure would be nice if Google Voice would somehow turn on the message waiting light on my phone. It seems that OOMA voicemail did that, but now I am using GV as my primary message service.

Any idea how I might set this up? Does it work on the Telo? I've got the free Telo coming in the mail soon.

Thanks in advance. These forums are great for solving problems.


Steve
#52677 by Bobby B
Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:27 pm
Hi Steve,

There's no way to turn on the message waiting indicator if there is new Google Voice voicemail. This sounds like it may be a useful feature to add in the future.

Thanks,
Bobby

bamasteve wrote:It sure would be nice if Google Voice would somehow turn on the message waiting light on my phone. It seems that OOMA voicemail did that, but now I am using GV as my primary message service.

Any idea how I might set this up? Does it work on the Telo? I've got the free Telo coming in the mail soon.
#52683 by amarryat
Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:26 pm
Can someone explain why this isn't available for Hub users yet? Seems to me that the implementation would be 100% server side which would mean that Hub/Telo makes no difference.
#52718 by bw1
Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:29 pm
amarryat wrote:Can someone explain why this isn't available for Hub users yet? Seems to me that the implementation would be 100% server side which would mean that Hub/Telo makes no difference.


It's not 100% server side, it requires a firmware update to the Telo. Also, the Telo uses different open source software than the Hub. The Telo uses Freeswitch http://www.freeswitch.org/, whereas the Hub uses Asterisk http://www.asterisk.org/.
#52719 by amarryat
Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:35 pm
bw1 wrote:
It's not 100% server side, it requires a firmware update to the Telo. Also, the Telo uses different open source software than the Hub. The Telo uses Freeswitch http://www.freeswitch.org/, whereas the Hub uses Asterisk http://www.asterisk.org/.


I realize that the Telo has received a firmware update recently, but are you sure that has anything to do with Google Voice? Also, I am not really sure what the open source software has to do with Google Voice either.
#52754 by bw1
Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:32 am
amarryat wrote:
bw1 wrote:
It's not 100% server side, it requires a firmware update to the Telo. Also, the Telo uses different open source software than the Hub. The Telo uses Freeswitch http://www.freeswitch.org/, whereas the Hub uses Asterisk http://www.asterisk.org/.


I realize that the Telo has received a firmware update recently, but are you sure that has anything to do with Google Voice? Also, I am not really sure what the open source software has to do with Google Voice either.


I don't know for sure and I don't see any notes about GVE in the Telo firmware version release notes. But I figured that may be the case, since pressing the fast forward key on the Telo or dialing #483 on the handset connects to GV voicemail. And if it does require a firmware update then the open source software that the device runs would likely affect the programming effort needed to incorporate GVE on the Telo and Hub.

If it doesn't require a firmware update on the Hub, then what's stopping someone with a Hub from setting up Google Voice at https://my.ooma.com/google_voice?

I don't see any other reason that they wouldn't include GVE for the Hub. It would likely increase the number of Premier subscribers who have the Hub.
#52755 by amarryat
Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:45 am
bw1 wrote:I don't know for sure and I don't see any notes about GVE in the Telo firmware version release notes. But I figured that may be the case, since pressing the fast forward key on the Telo or dialing #483 on the handset connects to GV voicemail.

If it doesn't require a firmware update on the Hub, then what's stopping someone with a Hub from setting up Google Voice at https://my.ooma.com/google_voice?

I don't see any other reason that they wouldn't include GVE for the Hub. It would likely increase the number of Premier subscribers who have the Hub.


I wasn't aware of the GV vm access via a key on the Telo, so now I understand why a firmware update on the Telo may have been required.

But even if Ooma supplied a more rudimentary implementation for Hub users, that would probably suffice for most customers. Have the Ooma servers prepend outgoing phone calls with the GV access number, press all the right keys, and then send your dialed number to GV.

Is that much different than how the Telo implementation is? Or is there a more advanced implementation that has happened with the cooperation of Google?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 7 guests