Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#41228 by crpeck
Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:21 pm
Is this going to be available for Ooma Hub owners as well?
#41234 by Groundhound
Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:34 pm
According to Rich Buchanan: "The code base for GVE development was completed first on Telo, still looking at bringing it to the Hub, no final decision yet."
#41263 by BlueHeeler
Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:16 pm
Groundhound wrote:According to Rich Buchanan: "The code base for GVE development was completed first on Telo, still looking at bringing it to the Hub, no final decision yet."



If only for the Telo, this would be bad. I don't think there was ever an indication that this would only be for Telo, and I believe there was speculation this may have been released before Telo. Those of us who signed up with GVE interest may lose out if signed up with hub/scout only.
#41285 by amarryat
Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:18 am
BlueHeeler wrote:
Groundhound wrote:According to Rich Buchanan: "The code base for GVE development was completed first on Telo, still looking at bringing it to the Hub, no final decision yet."



If only for the Telo, this would be bad. I don't think there was ever an indication that this would only be for Telo, and I believe there was speculation this may have been released before Telo. Those of us who signed up with GVE interest may lose out if signed up with hub/scout only.



I think you are right. Wasn't GVE rumored far prior to the Telo?
#41289 by Mike-o-Matic
Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:56 am
I have the Hub and use Google Voice, so I would be disappointed also if it were just released for Telo.
#41296 by crpeck
Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:24 am
I would be extremely disappointed :( It was mentioned in the Ooma Blog quite awhile ago, with no indication that it would be for the Telo only, it's one of the reasons I went with Ooma to begin with.
#41301 by Groundhound
Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:17 am
Based upon Rich Buchanan's comments, GVE apparnetly is more than just a server-side app., and must involve additional code/functions on the Telo. The Telo does have more memory and processing power than the Hub, so bringing GVE to the Hub may be more than a marketing decision.
#41305 by crpeck
Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:41 am
Hmm.. I can understand that the Telo has more "power", howver, based on these postings in the Blog, I was led to believe that the Google Voice Extensions would ONLY require Premier. Seems that either Ooma should have been more specific in this. I wonder how many other people assumed that it would work with their Hub???

https://www.ooma.com/blog/2009/03/
March, 2009
"For one, we make it a whole lot more convenient to use. With ooma Premier’s Google Voice Extensions, we can automatically show your Google Voice caller-ID when you make a call, no need to use the web site or call into Google Voice just to do that. You can also check your Google Voice messages with a touch of a button, just like using an answering machine. And with ooma, you don’t need to pick up your phone to hear who is calling. We’ll play the announcement and message over the speaker for you – pick up the phone only if you really want to answer. Finally, if you don’t want to go through the hassle of switching to yet another new phone number, use your existing ooma number (or port your number to ooma) and we’ll forward it to Google Voice."

https://www.ooma.com/blog/2009/09/
September, 2009
1. The Ooma Telo – Ooma’s second generation product featuring DECT 6.0 connectivity (released today!)
4. # Ooma Google Voice Extensions – Extended Google Voice to your home phone too
6. iPhone and BlackBerry Clients – Offload your cell phone minutes and enjoy Ooma’s low international rates when calling from a Wi-Fi connected smartphone
#41308 by BlueHeeler
Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:48 am
Groundhound wrote:Based upon Rich Buchanan's comments, GVE apparnetly is more than just a server-side app., and must involve additional code/functions on the Telo. The Telo does have more memory and processing power than the Hub, so bringing GVE to the Hub may be more than a marketing decision.


The may be true, but this should have been mentioned in the press release. There was no indication this feature was tied to the future hardware (as of the press release or in any other statments) or that it would even come out after the new hardware for that matter. Even in all the mentions of GVE being included as part of Premier, there was no caveat that this would be a Telo only feature. I almost bought Lifetime Premier simply for the future Google Voice Extensions as I don't really need premier using Google Voice, without the extensions, but held off until I could see the functionality first. I'm sure there will be many users who did just this, purchasing Lifetime Premier and now will be quite disappointed that they will not have the functionality they were expecting.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests