Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#10026 by DatOoma
Thu May 21, 2009 1:12 am
So here's the thing, I decided to drop my phone company like a bad habit and decided to go with Ooma. I have Dry-Loop Internet now (Verizon) with an ADSL router at 3Mbps DOWN / 768Kbps UP. After setting up Ooma to my ADSL router, my internet connection speeds are now 1Mbps DOWN/ 300Kbps UP (give or take). Anyway I can fix this issue?
#10027 by murphy
Thu May 21, 2009 1:59 am
Make sure that the incoming DSL signal goes ONLY to the DSL modem and no place else. Do not allow the DSL signal to get to the ports (phone or wall) of the hub as that will degrade the DSL connection.
#10031 by scottlindner
Thu May 21, 2009 4:48 am
I don't know anything about your ADSL modem, but if you know how to check the status pages you might want to see what the QoS readings are for the incoming signal. Then contact Verizon (or find a forum for the service) the determine what the QoS threshholds need to be for optimal performance.

I suspect what Murphy is getting at is your cause. Throw in a DSL filter between Ooma and the incoming phone line to ensure the DSL signal is only going to your ADSL modem.

Scott
#10045 by WayneDsr
Thu May 21, 2009 7:19 am
For a test to see if dsl is causing your issue, disconnect the WALL port of ooma (if you have a Scout connected it will disconnect it).
Make sure the PHONE port on the hub is going to a phone and not into the wall.

With ooma by itself, does the internet speeds still drop?

Wayne
#10052 by DatOoma
Thu May 21, 2009 8:51 am
Okay, so I previously had this setup:

Ooma Splitter > DSL & Ooma (wall port)

I only have DSL connected to the phone jack and disconnected the wall port on Ooma. Internet Connection seems to be back to normal and I can get the Ooma dial tone.

The User Guide made it seem that the wall port for Ooma was a must though, but everythings working now.
#10058 by WayneDsr
Thu May 21, 2009 9:24 am
The WALL port is used if you are using the Scout in another room OR if you are using ooma WITH a landline.
I put my scout next to the hub and connected them from WALL to WALL ports. That way I have access to both in one spot for second line.

If you need to add the scout in another room you need to utilize the second pair (second line) in your house phone wiring to separate the DSL from the HUB Scout connection. If you decide to do this there are posts discribing how to do it.

Wayne