Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#10020 by ggilman
Wed May 20, 2009 7:54 pm
For the purposes of having a dedicated fax, I separated, or "assigned" one device separately. Since it is for a fax, I have no plans any time in the near future to make a single call on that device without hitting *99 first. Still, every time I send, I have to hit *99. I assume *99 is not optimal for anything but faxes & other data devices, but in cases like mine, it would be nice to be able to have an "assigned" component default automatically to *99 mode rather than having to enter it every time.
#10028 by murphy
Thu May 21, 2009 2:07 am
Doesn't your fax machine provide the ability to automatically dial a prefix?
Check your fax machine manual for selecting an outside line or disabling call waiting.

Also that should be *99,

The comma provides a 2 second delay to allow dial tone to return before the rest of the number is dialed.
#10275 by Daghis
Mon May 25, 2009 6:13 pm
I have a device that I may be getting that is preprogrammed to dial a certain number and doesn't support any prefixes. I'd also like to see a way to set a particular dedicated line to have the *99 always enabled.
#10349 by ggilman
Wed May 27, 2009 9:03 am
murphy wrote:Doesn't your fax machine provide the ability to automatically dial a prefix?
Check your fax machine manual for selecting an outside line or disabling call waiting.

Also that should be *99,

The comma provides a 2 second delay to allow dial tone to return before the rest of the number is dialed.

I have a Brother MFC-9420cn, which isn't a low end fax, but it still does not have the option of a prefix that I can find. Also, aside from the fax, like Daghis, I actually have a pre-programmed box of which I have little control. It actually does let me input the primary phone number but after debugging with the ooma, it appears to dial 3 numbers. First, the one I input, then two 800 numbers.

Anyway, the details of the box are beyond the point of this but suffice to say, I don't have any control over putting *99 into the other 2 numbers. Until debugging, I didn't even know it dialed two others. I was planning on hooking this box along with the fax onto my dedicated hub but I had to give up when I realized I'd never be able to put the *99 into the other 2 #s & doesn't work without it.

Yes, I'm aware of the pause. When typing it into a box like this though, it doesn't really show up anyway, just looks like a regular comma, so I omitted it.
#18574 by MrGreg
Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:05 am
I am also interested in this as an available feature. I use some devices with pre-programmed numbers, so I cannot change it to dial *99 as a prefix. Any chance this type of option will be offered to customers?
#20322 by MrGreg
Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:32 am
Can anyone think of a possible way to map *70 to *99? So when you dial *70 to disable call waiting, Ooma interprets it as *99 and changes the audio codec? Some type of speed dial or something?
#20357 by MWPollard
Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:53 pm
Any auto-dialing device should be able to accept a prefix. Without that, if you had to dial 9 to get an outside line, you'd be stuck.

Even my Dish Network DVR lets me specify a prefix before dialing (and it works fine).

Now, when you dial a number manually (like a fax), that's a different matter. You may be able to program an automatic prefix, but you may just have to add that to your outgoing number, whether manually entered or in a speed-dial entry. Though you might be able to set up the prefix as one speed-dial entry and just hit that before typing the main number.
#20360 by ggilman
Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:20 pm
MWPollard wrote:Any auto-dialing device should be able to accept a prefix. Without that, if you had to dial 9 to get an outside line, you'd be stuck.

You'd think so, wouldn't you? In the "box" I mentioned in an earlier post, you do have the ability to modify the primary number. However, you have 12 digits total. So putting *99, followed by the 10-digit # is not possible. If that one fails, it calls a secondary backup 800 number. From best I can tell, there is no way to modify this without sending it back to the manufacturer. If by chance that fails, it goes to a 3rd 800 number, again non-modifiable.
#20377 by MWPollard
Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:36 pm
So, if you needed to dial "*70,9," to disable call waiting and get an outside line, you'd really be stuck. It should have some place, maybe one that requires a call to Tech Support to find, to enter a dialing prefix, not just by modifying the number dialed.

If not, call them and strongly complain. Such a device would be useless in most business situations; even "9,1800xxxxxxx" is too long for your device to accept.
ggilman wrote:
MWPollard wrote:Any auto-dialing device should be able to accept a prefix. Without that, if you had to dial 9 to get an outside line, you'd be stuck.

You'd think so, wouldn't you? In the "box" I mentioned in an earlier post, you do have the ability to modify the primary number. However, you have 12 digits total. So putting *99, followed by the 10-digit # is not possible. If that one fails, it calls a secondary backup 800 number. From best I can tell, there is no way to modify this without sending it back to the manufacturer. If by chance that fails, it goes to a 3rd 800 number, again non-modifiable.