Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#9865 by coumar
Mon May 18, 2009 9:56 am
Hello,

Looks like some of the incoming telemarketing and robo calls leave only a 3 or 4 digit telephone #. So I am unable to blacklist them because the blacklist prompts for a telephone number in the xxx-xxx-xxxx format and will reject 3 or 4 digit numbers. Is there a way to fix this? Very soon ALL telemarketers will catch on to this trick and have 3 or 4 digit caller ID's so the blacklist will not work. Thanks. Anil.
#9885 by bw1
Mon May 18, 2009 12:06 pm
It's being worked on for a new release coming "soon".

What's worse is when telemarketers figure out how to display your own phone number as the caller id. How are you going to block yourself?

I read about someone who was forwarding telemarketing calls instead of blocking them. It was forwarded to the FCC.
#9894 by number9
Mon May 18, 2009 12:46 pm
I have been getting calls from 999-999-9999. Do they really think some one would answer that? Any way, I can't block this number and would like the ability to do so.
#9917 by scottlindner
Tue May 19, 2009 3:27 am
bw1 wrote:It's being worked on for a new release coming "soon".

What's worse is when telemarketers figure out how to display your own phone number as the caller id. How are you going to block yourself?

I read about someone who was forwarding telemarketing calls instead of blocking them. It was forwarded to the FCC.

That's disturbing. Do you happen to know if the FCC or telephone companies are working to correct this loophole so that Caller ID cannot be spoofed? Without valid Caller ID information, it is not possible to enforce the Do Not Call registry. As soon as telemarketers know they cannot be caught, the purpose of the registry becomes pointless.

Scott
#9918 by bw1
Tue May 19, 2009 4:55 am
No, I don't. I do remember seeing a video (16x9 program in Canada) about Canada's do not call registry being used by foreign companies to get valid numbers to call.

I'm sure it's only a matter of time before we have the same problem in the US.

Seems obvious, but shouldn't the do not call registry be an opt-in list - "Telemarketers, Please call me"!

Where is the "Do not rob me" list?
#9919 by murphy
Tue May 19, 2009 5:29 am
There are some valid uses for caller ID spoofing. For example a doctor calling a patient from his home phone would want the caller ID to show his office phone number so he doesn't start getting calls from the patient at his home number.
#9920 by scottlindner
Tue May 19, 2009 5:46 am
murphy wrote:There are some valid uses for caller ID spoofing. For example a doctor calling a patient from his home phone would want the caller ID to show his office phone number so he doesn't start getting calls from the patient at his home number.

Even most small office phone systems allow you to call in and call from there. This would solve that problem, and maintain strict adherence to Caller ID information.

Telemarketers are out of control. They blatantly disregard the Do Not Call Registry, laugh at you when you mention it, and repeatedly harass you. I have read the arguments in favor of spoofing. People won't answer the phone unless you lie about who you are. Ugh.. isn't that the point? If it becomes worthless, it is one less feature people will pay for. Heck, I'd probably dump my phone if telemarketers start spoofing as the norm. Even with our number being on the Do Not Call Registry we get 2-10 telemarketers calls a night. I just ignore them when I see the ID and I am thrilled with the Ooma blacklist feature so I can start building my personal blacklist of repeat offenders. So.. if spoofing becomes the norm, there will be fewer people paying for Ooma premier.

Cheers,
Scott
#9961 by jtykal
Tue May 19, 2009 6:46 pm
I currently have about a dozen unique phone numbers in my blacklist for the SAME telemarketer (Charity Clothing). Seems they just keep rolling the numbers...
#9971 by jmassimilla
Wed May 20, 2009 2:28 am
I've run into that quite often as well. The numbers are always close in sequence so I just assumed they have multiple lines.
#9996 by doug
Wed May 20, 2009 3:32 pm
scottlindner wrote:That's disturbing. Do you happen to know if the FCC or telephone companies are working to correct this loophole so that Caller ID cannot be spoofed?

Actually, I think it is VoIP systems which gave the first reasonable way to spoof caller ID. With Ooma, you can't directly spoof the outbound caller ID. But consider multiring. I don't know for sure how that works, but I am guessing the Ooma servers are generating a second call to the multiring number, and "spoofing" the caller ID received on the original call. Then if you answer and press "1", it conferences those calls on the server.

At least that is my guess of how it may work.

I know VoIP systems exist which let you enter virtually any number you want to be sent as the caller ID. The normal associated name then appears as well, by virtue of the caller ID databases.

I'd actually like Ooma to offer more spoofing options. I am still using Ooma with a landline, and haven't decided for sure if I will port my number. But I'd love for calls placed via my Ooma to spoof my landline number instead of showing my Ooma number. I don't need / want the ability to set it to an arbitrary value. I'd just like it to spoof my landline.