Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#9794 by scottlindner
Sun May 17, 2009 5:16 am
I'd like to see a new Scout that works over network rather than the phone lines, and provides a network connection on it for a computer. I know this would be a hardware change, but I believe it would be appreciated by many people that use home networks. Many homes are being wired with just one network cable (Cat5, Cat5e or even Cat6) and this is used for the phone. For some home owners they'll switch this for home network since it's already installed. Leaving you with a choice, phone or network. Ooma can change that since it's VoIP in the home. We can have both phone and network on the same cable drop.

This will also help solve some of the Scout and DSL issues.

The bottom line benefits are reduced cabling within the home (combined network and phone over one cable) and solving DSL issues. This isn't much different than the motivations for VoIP for commercial companies.

Cheers,
Scott
#9806 by scottlindner
Sun May 17, 2009 7:37 am
WayneDsr wrote:I believe the new TELO "scout" is now wireless.

Wayne

That doesn't really address the problem at all. It just obsoletes existing Ooma's, obsoletes existing phones, you end up with a nonstandard phone, and requires you upgrade to an all new Ooma. Plus, many people like hard wired phones. Wireless has many problems. It sure is convenient, but I have given up entirely on wireless technologies.

Cheers,
Scott
#9815 by Pandora
Sun May 17, 2009 10:26 am
scottlindner wrote:It just obsoletes existing Ooma's, obsoletes existing phones, you end up with a nonstandard phone, and requires you upgrade to an all new Ooma.
I believe users upgrading to new Ooma technology over time is part of the Ooma business model.

My guess is users will also be buying more Ooma wireless handsets than they did Scouts. My guess is the Ooma Telo will only work with Ooma wireless handsets.
#9816 by scottlindner
Sun May 17, 2009 10:32 am
Pandora wrote:
scottlindner wrote:It just obsoletes existing Ooma's, obsoletes existing phones, you end up with a nonstandard phone, and requires you upgrade to an all new Ooma.
I believe users upgrading to new Ooma technology over time is part of the Ooma business model.

My guess is users will also be buying more Ooma wireless handsets than they did Scouts. My guess is the Ooma Telo will only work with Ooma wireless handsets.

As an Ooma owner with no more than 3 hours of ownership, this does not please me to hear.

The situation still exists, and my feature request shouldn't be discarded. The philosophy that everyone will simply throw away their existing Ooma's and phones isn't a good one.

Scott
#9827 by Pandora
Sun May 17, 2009 12:32 pm
I don't think anyone is required to upgrade to new Ooma hardware. Just that with new hardware will come new features and capability. My understanding is Ooma is hoping that new products will lure users to upgrade over time.

There is nothing wrong with the current Ooma hubs and scouts, they will continue to be viable for a very long time.

I don't think Ooma will ever have a scout which will connect to internet. Connection to internet is a function of the Ooma hub.

IMO most homes are currently wired for POTS landline service. Though I realize others have differing opinions.
#9830 by scottlindner
Sun May 17, 2009 1:10 pm
Pandora wrote:I don't think Ooma will ever have a scout which will connect to internet. Connection to internet is a function of the Ooma hub.

I didn't say Internet, I said network. It would simplify their hardware since they wouldn't need to deal with the HPNA. I suspect all of the inerts are already there in the current Scouts, just need a way to dump the HNPA and get the Ethernet over UTP connection.

Pandora wrote:IMO most homes are currently wired for POTS landline service. Though I realize others have differing opinions.

I would suspect nearly 100% of all homes are wired for POTS. If you look at modern construction (last decade) that POTS is using Cat5 or better, rather than Cat3 or whatever the name of the other Black, Red, Green and Yellow wire is. I don't know how many people, but mostly those that are tech enthusiasts (Ooma users?) are looking at their Cat5 phone wiring to use for network because it's already there. I know many people that have already stripped out the phone punch down block and added a patch panel and network switch. Some of them sacrificed phones to be able to do so. Are these personal friends Ooma users? No. Will there be tech enthusiasts that have done this also look at Ooma? Yes.

I won't have a problem because I'm running two Cat6 cables to each room of the house, but not everyone is game for tearing into walls and stringing cable. It isn't easy work.

If Ooma's future is to push wireless.. I bought into the wrong company. I hate wireless. It is too unreliable. I guess I need to get the read from the company if wireless is their future before my time to return the unit is up.

and I thought I was making a feature request...
#9831 by Pandora
Sun May 17, 2009 1:22 pm
I may have been unclear. I don't think Ooma will ever have a scout which will connect to ethernet. Connection to ethernet is a function of the Ooma hub.

If you want an ethernet connection to every phone in a room, it is a function for an ATA. The hub is the only ATA currently being sold by Ooma. The Ooma scout is not an ATA.

As to Ooma going wireless. The photos of the Telo that I've seen indicate it still has an RJ11 jack. If the production model has it, then the Ooma Telo will continue to support POTS lines in homes.

What a product doesn't meet my expectation, I usually return it. So far the Ooma has been a great product from my perspective. If you are doubting or feeling bad about your purchase, I hope you have the option to easily return your Ooma core system.
#9832 by scottlindner
Sun May 17, 2009 1:43 pm
Pandora wrote:If you want an ethernet connection to every phone in a room, it is a function for an ATA. The hub is the only ATA currently being sold by Ooma. The Ooma scout is not an ATA.

Understood. A Scout is also an ATA, just over HPNA, rather than UTP Ethernet. See first post for description of the feature request.

Pandora wrote:What a product doesn't meet my expectation, I usually return it. So far the Ooma has been a great product from my perspective. If you are doubting or feeling bad about your purchase, I hope you have the option to easily return your Ooma core system.

I realized after posting that I will have saved enough money to justify throwing away my Ooma when I want something Ooma doesn't offer. So even though I'm alarmed by Ooma's decision to go wireless as their future, it will not affect my decision to use Ooma today.

Cheers,
Scott
#9835 by bw1
Sun May 17, 2009 4:27 pm
I would think that the new Telo will be compatible with existing cordless and corded phones the same as the current hub. I also would think that you would be able to send dial tone throughout the house by plugging the phone port into a wall jack the same as now.

By coming out with a cordless handset to replace the scout, it gives more people the opportunity to easily use the premier features. For example, I have cordless handsets in several rooms of my house and I could run a scout to those rooms since I have wall jacks available. But I would have to have a corded phone connected to that scout in order use the instant second line.
With the Telo handset, I'll have the advantage of instant second line, voicemail, caller id, etc. at each handset.

Also, when Telo comes out, your current ooma hub/scouts will still be able to be used, the same as with your current phones. However, you won't be able to use the current scouts with the new Telo.

Here is more info on Telo from Dennis P (ooma rep):

http://forums.ooma.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=832&p=3849&hilit=telo#p3849

Dennis P wrote:No, the current Hub and Scout will continue to work together as they do today. We will continue to sell and support the current devices after Telo ships.

http://forums.ooma.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=832&p=3845&hilit=telo#p3845

Will current Scouts work with the new Telo hub?

Dennis P wrote:No, they will not. The current Hub/Scouts run HPNA over your home phone wiring. We decided to move to a wireless protocol, DECT 6.0, for Telo because of better cost, compatibility, and convenience.