Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#9772 by krbrian
Sat May 16, 2009 12:23 pm
I am curious to know why Ooma requires a payment for phone calls to Canada. I recognize that this is another country but the phone protocol appears to be the same as making a US phone call (area code and phone number--no extra country codes, city codes, etc).

It seems strange that MagicJack offers calls to Canada for free yet Ooma charges for them?
#9775 by Pandora
Sat May 16, 2009 1:46 pm
I think the folks at Ooma tried to work out the best offer they could make. For the vast majority, free calling within the U.S. is a very good deal.

If it is necessary to call Canada, I don't mind paying for it. I could be atypical, but my last call to Canada was over 10 years ago.
#9802 by niknak
Sun May 17, 2009 7:19 am
...If it is necessary to call Canada, I don't mind paying for it. I could be atypical, but my last call to Canada was over 10 years ago.

I agree, the free calling throughout the US is what attracted me to OOMA. It works great for my needs!
#9940 by voipdabbler
Tue May 19, 2009 10:31 am
I agree, it's a cost issue and I'm glad Ooma's being more realistic. I can tell you that my last primary VOIP provider covered calls to Canada and their fees upon renewal are going ever upward. (They purposely didn't raise their fees for new sign ups, but boy have they raised them for those renewing and part of the reason the fees keep going up is the cost of covering calls to Canada--it's not cheap.)