Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#111470 by jtroth
Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:06 pm
It would be great to have a user option to have a number removed from one's Personal blacklist if & when that same number is added to the Community blacklist. That would keep one's personal lists pruned down to just potentially active numbers that aren't yet being caught.
#112936 by murphy
Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:17 am
It is believed that the community blacklist is computer generated by a given phone number appearing on an unknown number of personal blacklists. If numbers were removed from personal blacklists they would also be removed from the community blacklist when they no longer met the inclusion criteria.
#112951 by jtroth
Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:35 pm
"It is believed...." :?: By whom is it believed and for what reason?

I would hope that OOMA is more careful than that about how they create the community blacklist !?! And even if that is true as to how numbers get there, it doesn't necessarily follow that that is how they get removed.

I'd love it if someone who actually knows how this works from OOMA could comment whether my request is at all in the running for something they might do ! It's a minor thing in the grand scheme of things, but would be useful.
#112958 by holmes4
Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:25 pm
How community and personal blacklists work together

When you add a phone number to your personal blacklist, you're asked to give a reason for blocking the caller. If you list the reason as "personal", nothing further will happen. Otherwise, as you and other Ooma users add numbers to your personal blacklists and mark them as sources of various "phone spam," Ooma aggregates that information to keep the community blacklist as up-to-date as possible. After confirming that widely-blocked numbers are legitimate sources of spam, Ooma adds those numbers to the community blacklist, saving other people the trouble of ever receiving an unwanted call from those numbers.
#113042 by jtroth
Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:49 pm
@holmes4 Thanks! That is what I had pretty much understood.

Anyway, I hope that next time they are messing with that part of the system they take the opportunity, if it's possible, to put in code that would remove numbers from personal lists after adding them to the community list. We have no way to know that a number has been added to the community list, so no way to know that it's no longer necessary to have it in our personal list. Just a nice-to-have - kind of puts a nice little ribbon on the whole blacklist service :D