Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#9669 by slr001
Thu May 14, 2009 9:17 am
I know there are currently no invites out there for Google Voice. Hoping to get an account there as soon as they are available.

Are there any GV users here? How does the Ooma device work with GV so far? Are you using GV for VM, Multiring, call blocking, etc... Or is it a combination of Ooma features and GV features?
#9753 by SoccerDad
Fri May 15, 2009 6:21 pm
I'm using GV with Ooma (as one of my numbers; I use it for multi-ring and VM) and it works well. I purchased Ooma under the impression that GV extensions were already available but was incorrect. Nevertheless, quality is good (people ring me on my GV number, so I get a lot of calls through GV) and I'm eager to try out the extensions.
#9824 by voipdabbler
Sun May 17, 2009 12:09 pm
I have to say that the call quality of Google Voice is varying a lot lately, which is to be expected in a beta product. In fact, in my opinion, the entire look, feel and functionality of Google Voice feels more beta than it did before the re-branding from the original Grand Central product. Google is clearly feeling it's way gingerly with this product and I get the impression they're trying to figure out how not to lose their shirt with it. I wouldn't be surprised if it's going to be a while before they launch it publicly. (I also wouldn't be surprised if this whole project gets shelved should management deem it totally unprofitable. It got a reprieve in the January axing of projects, but that reprieve may be limited in duration if the Google team cannot develop a profitable business plan.) Long and short of it, if there is a public launch, don't be surprised if many of the "free" aspects of Google Voice have totally disappeared.
#9873 by slr001
Mon May 18, 2009 11:14 am
voipdabbler wrote:Idon't be surprised if many of the "free" aspects of Google Voice have totally disappeared.

Well I expect that they might eventually pursue a strategy like Ooma and offer a combination of free and premier services.

With the correct combination of services it might be something someone pays 4-5/month for.

They need to separate the convenience features from the "free" outbound dialing features. I am interested in it for some of the convenience and anonymity services. I don't need free outbound dialing as I have that with my cell plan and with Ooma.