Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#110074 by tbeltz
Mon May 20, 2013 7:17 am
You are referring to a "last seen" date of 6 months? Exactly what will trigger a "seen" date? Example: If the unit is off line but is accepting calls and placing the incoming call into voice mail as programmed, and the voice mail is read through the Ooma on-line account then is this considered to still be active or does it have to be physically plugged into the router and used from there? How many times must it be used in order for Ooma to recognize the Unit and not consider it abandoned?

Please explain exactly what and for what period of time I need to do to keep my Units activated and not considered abandoned? All I want is to keep the service working even though the internet is not hooked up at the locations. These are locations used exclusively for winter months (snowbirds).

Thank You
#110078 by Tom
Mon May 20, 2013 8:01 am
I corrected my post so paying RRF will currently keep an account from being canceled, but that policy is subject to change.

The device needs to have had a VPN connection for at least one day in the past 6 months.
#110084 by Tuan
Mon May 20, 2013 9:02 am
Please clarify this senario: If you're not paying anthing (no RRF or Premier), you must plug in your device to achieve a vpn? So placing outgoing call using ooma mobile or receiving incoming calls where caller leaves voicemail is NOT considered "active?"
#110085 by Hollywood
Mon May 20, 2013 9:26 am
My Ooma device rarely gets used anymore. It is ALWAYS online and my credit card gets charged monthly (and my card is always up to date). I mostly keep it around for 911 and as a 2nd number (if I need it).

in my case described, if I don't place a call within 6 months, would I risk getting canceled?
#110086 by Tom
Mon May 20, 2013 10:33 am
Your unit has a VPN connection when it has a blue logo or a blinking red logo with the top 3 lights off (volume, brightness, antenna icons). And so yes you need to plug in your unit to establish a VPN connection. Calls exclusively handled by our servers (i.e. not physically reaching the unit) don't count towards activity. An on-line unit with no call activity is considered active.
#110087 by murphy
Mon May 20, 2013 10:35 am
Hollywood wrote:My Ooma device rarely gets used anymore. It is ALWAYS online and my credit card gets charged monthly (and my card is always up to date). I mostly keep it around for 911 and as a 2nd number (if I need it).

in my case described, if I don't place a call within 6 months, would I risk getting canceled?

No. Your Ooma is connected to the Ooma servers all of the time. That is all that is required.
#110089 by lbmofo
Mon May 20, 2013 11:39 am
Tuan wrote:Please clarify this senario: If you're not paying anthing (no RRF or Premier), you must plug in your device to achieve a vpn? So placing outgoing call using ooma mobile or receiving incoming calls where caller leaves voicemail is NOT considered "active?"

No

Tom B wrote:This policy is subject to change, but the current rule is:

If you pay no RRF AND have neither Premier, an international plan, or some other paid service, AND your “last seen” date is six months, then you go on a list to receive an email telling you that you have 30 days to plug in and be recognized. If you are on the 7 month list with the same criteria, then we presume that you have been notified and your account is terminated. For your unit to be "seen" it needs to have a VPN connection with our servers, so it needs to be plugged in and have either a blue logo or a blinking red logo with the top 3 lights off (volume, brightness, antenna icons).

Tom B wrote:The device needs to have had a VPN connection for at least one day in the past 6 months.
#110299 by Darkbob
Sun May 26, 2013 8:22 pm
tbeltz wrote:
lbmofo wrote:Okay, so the online every 6 months is a must unless you have Premier or International bundle.

Still do not understand their logic on this. If the account is being charged and paid without complaints then why would they want to consider it abandoned.

I can understand this one. Imagine people who stop using the Ooma and forget they left a credit card on file. Months or years later they find they have been charged every month for a service they aren't using. At least Ooma sends out an email and puts the brakes on after 6 months. Unlike some gym memberships. :)

So bit of an update. My porting went perfectly. My call-forwarding worked fine. Way better than either Magic Jack or NetTalk by far. Way less lag and echo and no dropped calls or times when a person can't understand me or hear me. Super happy about that.

The only problem was that if I didn't answer a call on my cell, my Ooma would answer the call and send it to Ooma voicemail. Grrr. The call was call-forwarded. I wanted the calls to go to my cell phone's answering service not Ooma.

I set Ooma to answer after 59 seconds but it still kept picking up on the 3rd ring. Just couldn't get it to stop! I eventually got to chat with Tier 3 tech support. The guy couldn't figure it out either but since I didn't need the answering service at all I had him switch it off entirely. Problem solved. Calls go to my cell and if I don't answer my cell phone takes the message.

Anyway thanks for the head's up on the 6 month thing. I'll make sure to plug the Ooma in every now and again. I've been finding it useful for making calls to the US. My cell phone doesn't have unlimited calling outside Canada.

So far I'm a happy camper.
#110308 by Tom
Mon May 27, 2013 9:55 am
Imagine people who stop using the Ooma and forget they left a credit card on file.

I'll make sure to plug the Ooma in every now and again.

See policy as repeated by lbmofo in the Mon May 20, 2013 12:39 pm post above. Your account will not be cancelled if you pay monthly or annual fees.

If you want calls to go to your cell's voicemail you need to make sure the ring-no-answer timeout (RNA) of your cell account is shorter than the Ooma RNA. You currently have the Ooma set up correctly with RNA at 99 sec, and both local ring and forwarding prompt disabled.