Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#109841 by lbmofo
Mon May 13, 2013 5:41 pm
Porting is expensive even at wholesale unless you are talking about wireless to wireless ports. The reason others don't charge you is because they can absorb the cost from the monthly charges they will rake in after you port your number. Ooma would do the same (not charge for porting) if you sign up for 1 year of Premier.

PS, one questionable outfit charges $10 recurring per year once you port your number in; this is on top of 1 time porting fee.
#109842 by EX Bell
Mon May 13, 2013 8:08 pm
Google charges $20 to port your number in.
#109890 by Darkbob
Wed May 15, 2013 9:43 am
I started the number porting a couple days ago. No charge so far. But I did sign up for premier service so I hear you get one number port for free. I agree the charge is high.

One thing I don't like is the number porting process. Ooma knows you can have 2 numbers - the encourage it. So what if you want to port in 2 numbers? That's what I'm doing but it's very tricky.

When you port, Ooma asks you what you want your set-up to be after the port is finished (usually your ported number will be the primary and your Ooma assigned will be secondary). Which works fine for the first port.

The problem comes with the 2nd port. When you get to the final stage it asks what you want the setup to be after the port is finished. No where does it give you the option to set your first port to be primary and your second port to be secondary. You are stuck with the same porting options as your first port.

I finally gave up. I figure I'll just wait for the first port to finish up and then start the 2nd port.
#109910 by EX Bell
Wed May 15, 2013 10:09 pm
Correct. They ask during the porting process how you want the numbers arrange (eg. In what position should the number being ported go and therefor the temporary number will automatically moved to the other position and this is shown). I always tell my clients that are moving two numbers to port what they intend to be the primary first. Once the primary has ported, the temporary number will moved to the secondary position.

Once complete they port the secondary number. The porting department knows that you have already ported the primary number and that you now wish to replace the secondary number, however I always recommend to use the space provided for notes in the online porting form to state exactly which number you want to be replace by the secondary number you are porting. This has worked fine and minimizes any possible confusion with the porting department.

One of my clients did request that both were ported at the same time and did not have any issues, but I still don't recommend this. The potential for error is just too high.
#109997 by Darkbob
Fri May 17, 2013 9:21 pm
EX Bell wrote:The potential for error is just too high.

Exactly. I can see them porting my first number in then when the 2nd number comes in they could toss my first number to the curb. I'm not in that much of a rush. I can wait an extra month and do it in two steps.

Still, you would think they could improve the process a bit. When you start porting they could ask you "port another number?' on the same form. They know you can have two numbers on the device and they know most people have a couple of numbers. They are charging $40. Just makes sense to make sure the process works well.
#110000 by murphy
Sat May 18, 2013 2:56 am
The safest procedure is to port your second number first.
It becomes the primary number and the temporary number moves to second place.
When that is done then port in your first number.
It becomes the primary number and your second number moves to second place.
The temporary number is discarded.
#110015 by EX Bell
Sat May 18, 2013 8:30 am
murphy wrote:The safest procedure is to port your second number first.
It becomes the primary number and the temporary number moves to second place.
When that is done then port in your first number.
It becomes the primary number and your second number moves to second place.
The temporary number is discarded.

Good suggestion.