Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#48226 by nilesf
Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:59 am
Okay, my Ooma Telo and Sonicwall TZ170 are not playing nice. Outbound calls with one way voice traffic. I am not clear on what needs to be done to get my Ooma Telo and Sonicwall TZ170 to work. Should the Ooma Telo be on the inside of the TZ170 with the mentioned ports open or should I have the modem>ooma telo>tz170?

Ooma has provide the follwong KB,m but with no actual instruction as to what needs to be done. A step-by-step would be helpful.

This article contains additional advanced configuration information regarding the network connections associated with the ooma system. A small minority of users will find this information useful for a special network setup.

Service Ports

ooma uses the following application ports for outbound data and voice traffic:
UDP 53, UDP 123, UDP 514, UDP 1194,UDP 3386, UDP 3480, UDP 10000-20000, TCP 53 and TCP 443.

This port information can be useful if you have a special network configuration with a firewall device upstream of the ooma Hub that restricts application ports on the inside or "private side" of your network for outbound traffic. Firewalls are typically on by default for inbound traffic and no special modifications are required to allow that traffic through.

If you are installing the ooma Hub for the first time and find the line 1 and line 2 buttons are illuminated, you may have a firewall on your router or modem preventing certain ooma traffic from going through as shown in the example diagram below:

To verify you are running into this problem, connect a computer to the "HOME" port of the ooma Hub. Using this computer, verify you can reach http://setup.ooma.com in a web browser. Next, try browsing to a public website (such as http://www.google.com or http://www.yahoo.com). If the web connection to the public website is successful, you may have a firewall blocking ooma's service ports and will need to configure firewall policies to allow ooma's data and voice ports. For more information on configuring firewall policies, please refer to your modem/router user manual.

Encryption

All service traffic (including voice traffic) to and from ooma's central servers is securely encrypted. Note for ooma systems used with landlines: local calls are typically forwarded through your existing landline connection.

Please advise,
Niles
#48651 by sfhub
Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:45 am
nilesf wrote:Okay, my Ooma Telo and Sonicwall TZ170 are not playing nice. Outbound calls with one way voice traffic. I am not clear on what needs to be done to get my Ooma Telo and Sonicwall TZ170 to work. Should the Ooma Telo be on the inside of the TZ170 with the mentioned ports open or should I have the modem>ooma telo>tz170?

I don't have a TZ170 so can't give you direct instructions, but Ooma voice channels are over SRTP.

Your Ooma device will send UDP from src port 49000-50000 -> dst port 3480 of xc[1-28]-eqix-sv4.ooma.com
Also return UDP data from src port 3480 of xc[1-28]-eqix-sv4.ooma.com to dst 49000-50000 of Ooma device
Also there is UDP traffic from Ooma srd port 49000-50000 -> dst port 10000-20000 xc[1-28]-eqix-sv4.ooma.com

If any of these are blocked you can get behavior like you described.
#48672 by nilesf
Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:01 am
Hi sfhub,

Thank you for your reply. So this would prevent audio returning to the Ooma? If I call out from Ooma to me cell I can hear myself on my cell, but not on the Ooma. If I call from my cell to my Ooma it rings and I can answer the call. Again, I can hear myself on my cell, but not on the Ooma. Does this make any sense? I have tested the Ooma Telo at another location and it works fine, so I know that it is not defective. I know that Verizon FiOS is not blocking anything becuase my co-worker has the same Ooma Telo and Verizon FiOS and his worked right out of the box.

Please advise,
Niles
#48679 by sfhub
Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:00 am
Yes it can result in one way, as well as termination of your call.

The quick way to test is just stick Ooma in front of your firewall temporarily and make a call. If it works, then your firewall is blocking something and based on your symptoms, I'm suggesting you pay special attention to the UDP data listed above.