Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#109319 by murphy
Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:30 am
oomg wrote:Two reasons: (1) some people do not have email accounts, and (2) California law currently provides for service of certain legal documents by fax so long as the faxing device provides a proof of a completed transmission. Once the OneSuite fax has completed the transmission, it will send a complete copy indicating a successful transmission to one of the designated email address. Likewise, if the transmission fails, it will send an email indicated such failure.

So the proof of transmission can go by email but the fax itself can't?
That makes no sense at all.
Since law makers are involved I guess it doesn't have to make sense.
#109320 by EX Bell
Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:42 am
Aubuchon wrote:Might look at getting a different fax machine. I wish there was a list of which one's have the ability to change baud rate and disable error correction mode.

Honestly I think this is the best decision you could make and the most risk free because if the Fax machine you try doesn't work, you can just take it back and try another one. Whereas you probably will have a great amount of hassle trying other VoIP solutions, just to find out they don't work any better with your fax machine.

I have an Epson Workforce 845 and you can disable ECM. I think you can also slow it down, but I can remember. I have good success sending and receiving. VoIP is difficult for faxing because of the noise on a VoIP connection. I'm sure you've read that many times by now as you've obviously been researching this. If your internet connection is not just right, you'll probably have a lower success rate, no matter what VoIP provider you use. A separate POTS line is the best solution if Faxing is a critical part of your everyday. In case you didn't see it before, see this thread for more info and a sensible response from Ooma on the matter. Faxing over IP is not simple and Ooma is clearly not ignoring the issue.

I've read that people have had good success faxing with NetTalk VoIP. However, I have also read that people have had very bad customer service, mediocre voice quality, sudden disconnection of service for no reason, etc. I have to say that if faxing was really important for me, I would personally find an alternative for the faxing. Whether it was one of the free to very low cost fax to email solutions or similar.

Ooma is really quite good. If you set it up right, it's a true replacement for POTS where quality is concerned. In fact I think (and so do all my clients) that it sounds as good as and better than POTS when you have a good quality handset (especially one that supports HD voice). You are going to find that they really do stand out where voice quality is concerned. Their customer service is not always 100%, but you can argue that about ANY company. It's pretty good acutally, compared to others. They keep trying, and that's the most important part. You will find people on this forum and others that say Ooma doesn't care and the product is not good, but they have either inadequate internet service to support VoIP, or they have not setup their Telo correctly, or both. It's also possible that maybe a few of them just have a defective Telo, but they're too hot headed to listen to advice and do some troubleshooting. Much easier for them to throw stones. There's no way anyone can convince me otherwise because I know the truth. I've setup too may Telos to have any other opinion than, it's a superb product, when it's setup properly (including proper QoS setup) and the internet connection is fast and stable. This has to include low latency and extremely low to zero packet loss.

I know you're just looking for some honest advice and that's what I'm offering. I really strongly suggest that trying a different fax machine is going to be your best bet.

Here's a user that responded to you about his fax machine as well.

Keep in mind, you must have at least 340Kbps UPLOAD bandwidth to use level 3 redundancy according to Ooma online documentation. Your download speed being fast has nothing to do with sending a fax. More info about Premier Fax
#109364 by sslc
Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:05 am
Aubuchon wrote:I think I'm going to have to go with the Obi202 and here's why.
Found an interesting comparison article between it, ooma and a couple of lesser voip devices. (see link below)
Pricing for ten years of ooma Premiere comes out to $1879.89 while the Obihai device is just $71.99 with more features and options for the same ten years. It's a long read but worth the effort. The comparison chart is most revealing and tells a story all by itself for those with time constraints. Even if faxing on Google Voice doesn't work,(hoping it will though) then I have several other SIP options available at little to no cost. (The pricing comparisons on the chart are a little outdated so it lists the obi202 at $75.00 which is incorrect)

http://blog.tmcnet.com/blog/tom-keating ... s-ooma.asp

I tried to post the chart on this thread but the jpeg was too large for ooma to handle. How ironic...

I have no dog in this fight, I just hope that the 10 year cost is not the reason you switch. Anybody in these days tries to do 10 years projection is wasting everybody's time.

Offhand, 10 years ago, almost nobody has a LCD terminal, let alone TV or LED, dialup ruled the world (I had ISDN at home and and people didn't believe me, DSL and ADSL and HDSL were things only discusses in labs and trials), the whole financial world would think you are mad if you say both Lehman and Bear Stern will just disappear (no buy out or merger) in less than 10 years, Dell going out of business?? The list goes on and on..
#109926 by oomg
Thu May 16, 2013 7:15 am
murphy wrote:
oomg wrote:Two reasons: (1) some people do not have email accounts, and (2) California law currently provides for service of certain legal documents by fax so long as the faxing device provides a proof of a completed transmission. Once the OneSuite fax has completed the transmission, it will send a complete copy indicating a successful transmission to one of the designated email address. Likewise, if the transmission fails, it will send an email indicated such failure.

So the proof of transmission can go by email but the fax itself can't?
That makes no sense at all.
Since law makers are involved I guess it doesn't have to make sense.

The key is the recipient's ability to receive. Obviously, if the recipient does not have an email account, but has a fax, my "efax" will be transmitted to his fax machine. Likewise, if a document is served by fax, it makes no difference whether the recipient has an actual fax machine or an efax; the document is sent to a specific fax number. Upon completion of the fax transmission, a complete copy showing a successful transmission will be sent to my designated email account. If there ever should be an issue regarding what was sent, I can provide a complete copy. Since my incoming fax number directs the incoming faxes to my email account(s), they are deemed to have been received upon completion of the transmission.
#109996 by Darkbob
Fri May 17, 2013 9:09 pm
Google Voice is not available in Canada but I have it and love it when I'm down south (I live 50/50 in Canada/US). It IS free at the moment. Every year in November or December they say they will give us another free year. But there's no guarantee it will be free forever. Google has said from day 1 that it will be a paid service at some point.

And of course there's no guarantee Ooma will keep Premier at $10 for the next 10 years either. It's hard to just graph out a reliable chart of costs for the next decade.

As for faxing it's too bad it's not working for some people. I know VOIP is unreliable and almost incompatible with faxing. I decided to give the Ooma a shot and was a bit shocked when it faxed no problem at all. I only tried it once and I have the Premier service so I guess that's not much of a test.

For my faxing solution, I have long since gone to an online faxing service. I wrote a little VB program that pulls up a customer database, scans a file and then emails the scan to my on-line fax service.

If you are sending a fax don't use any type of VOIP service. 70 - 80% just isn't good enough and that's all you will ever get. If you have to send a fax get a POTS line or use an online service with email confirmation of delivery.
#110482 by Darkbob
Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:56 am
Bottom line: Faxing with VOIP is hit and miss. That's just the underlying technology. I've had some luck with Ooma faxing but I sure wouldn't depend on it for legal or work faxes. You won't have any better luck with Google Voice - it just doesn't work.

If you need faxing just call your local Telco and get a POTS line.