Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#108271 by Eukaryon
Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:10 pm
We are trying Ooma. Previously, we received very few anonymous calls. After switching to Ooma we are receiving 4 to 8 per day. They all show as "Anonymous" number "1 - - - " There is no caller on the other end, no recorded message, not even static, just absolute silence.

I did set the controls to let through all calls. This lets me know if some of our friends are blocking their numbers as anon.
However, the previous VOIP service also let through all calls, and we never got a single one from "1 - - - "

Is this a known issue? Does Ooma occasionally send out a check signal that might be mistaken for anonymous?

Damn, there it goes again!

I am not going to pay for Premiere for their problem.
#108305 by lbmofo
Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:22 pm
Did you port your number into Ooma? Or are you still on the number you got from Ooma?

If you got a number from Ooma, maybe calling customer service can get you another number.
#108504 by Eukaryon
Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:15 am
I have not yet ported the number; I am first testing Ooma and waiting for the first bill to see the actual cost.

All those anoymous calls have vanished after posting this. Now I get only the ususal junk calls. It is probably a coincidence. I will enjoy it anyway. :D

BTW, another post had a sweet suggestion for re-directing to Ooma while waiting for your number to be ported from the current VOIP. This should be a sticky.
  1. Most VOIPs allow a fail-over phone number when their box cannot reach the Internet.
  2. On the current VOIP, set the fail-over number to your Ooma number.
  3. Disconnect the current box.
  4. The current VOIP will redirect all calls to Ooma.
  5. I tried this and it works perfectly for me. YMMV.
  6. Note: when you call out, people will see your temporary Ooma number until the original number is actually ported.
  7. When the port completes, you will immediately get all calls directly through Ooma without you having to change anything.
  8. Do not forget to stop the previous service! It is easy to forget with automatic billing!
#108510 by holmes4
Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:13 pm
I just told my old provider to forward all calls to the Ooma temp number. They do have the fallback feature, but I expect that would introduce some delays.