Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#9365 by bc3tech
Fri May 08, 2009 7:14 pm
Let me start off by saying that I was raised in a rural community, so I understand that technology takes a while to propagate :)

However, I now live in a suburb of Minneapolis, MN and when first calling up to Ooma to get a "temp" number while I waited for mine to be ported, I was very surprised to learn that the only "local" (same area code) number I could get was for a town over 20mi away - another suburb.
I am curious to know what dictates the scarcity in phone numbers?

After getting Ooma's latest newletter in my inbox "Save serious cash with ooma" and reading about using the multi-line feature to add numbers local to your friends so they don't have to call long distance to reach you, I decided to try it out by adding a number local to my dad who still lives in the home I was raised in (ie: rural farm in Iowa).
I punch in the area code and prefix: "nothing found"
try just the area code: "nothing"

That's right, the entire area code in Iowa (where they run nearly the entire N/S of the state and only 5 exist) which my father is located in has not a SINGLE number available to Ooma, and this area code runs right through the state capital!
So again I ask, why such a scarcity? Anybody know what drives this?
#9384 by niknak
Sat May 09, 2009 4:11 am
...So again I ask, why such a scarcity? Anybody know what drives this?...

There are only a finite amount of phone numbers available per exchange ( XXX-0000 to XXX-9999) and they are all owned by different telephone companies with a presence in a particular rate center. If ooma has no presence or business agreement with a telephone company in a particular rate center, you will not be able to get a local number in that location, thus the nearest "local" number available to you was 20 miles away
This could change if some numbers are freed up and ooma (or another telephone company) is able to acquire them
#9403 by buzzman
Sat May 09, 2009 10:21 am
I didn't realize there are quite a few Twin Cities resident here.

Well, in my case, Ooma gave me a 612 area code, which is "local" for all Twin Cities residents. Twin Cities have 4 area codes, and all of them are "local", meaning calling another area code is not considred a long distance call.

To me, this is not a problem, but a mere inconvenient. A few years back, the only cell phone number you can get around here is with 612 area code.

I'm porting my number (651 area code) to Ooma, so this "issue" will no longer be an issue. :)
#9409 by bc3tech
Sat May 09, 2009 5:02 pm
buzzman wrote:I didn't realize there are quite a few Twin Cities resident here.

Well, in my case, Ooma gave me a 612 area code, which is "local" for all Twin Cities residents. Twin Cities have 4 area codes, and all of them are "local", meaning calling another area code is not considred a long distance call.
my temp number is also 612 - i understand regarding the local area codes available in the TC...
I'm porting my number (651 area code) to Ooma, so this "issue" will no longer be an issue. :)
:) as am i - just was wanting to apply their way to save friends & family money by adding numbers local to them logic, and started hitting this brick wall - was curious what drove the availability
#9960 by rmdodge1
Tue May 19, 2009 6:45 pm
I did not have a home phone, so I could not port any number and live in the Twin Cities. That means my number is a 612 area code, which is unlike any number in my 763 area.

The other day, I came across a website called http://www.ephonenumbers.net where you can buy a phone number (from $10 to $100) in any area code, and then port that number. With Premier, this would be free. In other words, for as little as $10 more, I could have chosen an area code not listed on ooma's website. Just something for consideration.
#10038 by Wilsonium
Thu May 21, 2009 6:34 am
Here in Tracy I bailed on Vonage the second I heard about Ooma. Vonage was OK but the only option for a "Tracy" number was to pick a number in the 925 area code. For some reason Vonage has Tracy in 925, not 209 like it should be. Lame if you ask me and not sure why Vonage did this. No matter tho, I now have a local number that works for me plus I get the added advantage of better hardware, a local bay area company and better support!
#10107 by niknak
Thu May 21, 2009 8:37 pm
...but the only option for a "Tracy" number was to pick a number in the 925 area code. For some reason Vonage has Tracy in 925, not 209 like it should be. Lame if you ask me and not sure why Vonage did this...

There are only a finite amount of phone numbers available per exchange ( XXX-0000 to XXX-9999) and they are all owned by different telephone companies with a presence in a particular rate center. If ooma (or vonage) has no presence or business agreement with a telephone company in a particular rate center, you will not be able to get a local number in that location
Last edited by niknak on Sun May 24, 2009 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
#10172 by oomg
Sat May 23, 2009 5:45 am
rmdodge1 wrote:The other day, I came across a website called http://www.ephonenumbers.net where you can buy a phone number (from $10 to $100) in any area code, and then port that number. With Premier, this would be free. In other words, for as little as $10 more, I could have chosen an area code not listed on ooma's website. Just something for consideration.

Took a quick look at the ephonenumbers website. Very few, if any, in the $10 range, and numbers are still not available for some local exchanges. (They will accept a request and search for a $25 fee.) As an alternative, one can just order the basic line through their carrier (e.g. AT&T) and then request porting of that number. When my son (living in northeast) connected up a basic line (to enable DSL) AT&T even waived the installation charge.