Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#107776 by Aubuchon
Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:56 am
Please provide a dropdown setting in the Control Panel that will allow ooma users to opt out of automatic firmware updates or provide a choice that allows users to choose a particular time to update which would include "never" as an option. We're all aware that any disruption (power outage, accidently unlugging unit, internet goes down etc.) during the automatic update will cause the ooma unit to permanently stop working. There are times when electronics should be unplugged such as during a storm to avoid destruction of equipment due to lightning. If the unit is going through an automatic update during the storm then unplugging it will cause irreparable damage to it with no further recourse other than the user to buy a new unit at full retail price since it's out of warranty. The whole idea of getting ooma is to save money so having to buy another unit to fix something that was avoidable in the first place seems unfathomable to me. Power surge units do not work. I know from experience. Lightning hit the transformer outside of my mothers house and travelled down the line destoying $3000 worth of electronics which all had power surge protectors. Or you could change your policy to allow for the replacement of a new unit whenever an update is disrupted for any reason, even if the unit is out of warranty. The choice seems like an easy one. Thank you in advance for you prompt attention to this issue.
Last edited by Aubuchon on Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
#107777 by Tom
Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:13 am
Powering off a unit during a software upgrade does not damage the unit. The upgrade simply resumes when the unit comes back online. The only exception is when the boot manager is updated which is very rare and is written in a matter of seconds, so the window for corruption to occur is very small.
#107778 by Aubuchon
Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:17 am
The "window" for the corruption and total descrution of ooma might be small but it exist none the less. Please provide option for opting out of updates as requested. Thanks again.
Last edited by Aubuchon on Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
#107781 by Aubuchon
Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:21 am
If anyone needs proof that this could actually happen then look no further than this thread: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12061
For those who don't want to read the whole thread,numerous people have reported having to buy a new unit with their own money an no reimbursement from the company. The best response they could muster is as follows :
There is nothing more that I can think of except:

If your Ooma Telo is within the one year warranty period, contact Ooma Customer Support and they, after some more testing and so on, will send you shipping prepaid, a replacement Ooma Telo, with a return shipping label for you to return your defective unit.

So if your unit is out of warranty when this happens then you're screwed.

It has happened and will continue to happen until the problem is addressed.
#107784 by Aubuchon
Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:04 am
Tom B wrote:Powering off a unit during a software upgrade does not damage the unit. The upgrade simply resumes when the unit comes back online. The only exception is when the boot manager is updated which is very rare and is written in a matter of seconds, so the window for corruption to occur is very small.

Thanks for the fast response but I'm afraid your answer contradicts itself. In essence you're saying that
the unit can't be damaged during a software upgrade but oh wait, yes it can if the software that it's upgrading happens to include new boot manager software.
Nice try. But we really need a fix to this problem.
#107788 by lbmofo
Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:48 am
Ooma employs Edge (vs. Central Softswitch) deployment; lots of logic executed on the device vs Ooma central so you are probably asking for the impossible. Don't think Ooma can live with out of date devices online in the field.

Listen to Dennis talk about Edge = Telo: Linux, Dual Core, 1GB Flash, 256MB RAM...I think Hub is Edge too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOimXatR3aI
#107790 by Aubuchon
Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:30 pm
What you and Dennis say makes perfect sense. Thanks for the link. I just wonder though if ooma could continue to operate if all devices weren't uniformly updated to the same software version. Can someone confirm that? The Telo and Hub are two different devices on the same network and I assume they have different software so I'm just curious since they both seem to work ok. Thanks.
#107791 by lbmofo
Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:17 pm
Yes, you could have devices that are out of date for a window of time (firmware rolls out in phases for example covering different population per phase) but with Ooma's operating model, it is unlikely Ooma can allow out of date devices indefinitely. For example, routing algorithm or route processing is happening at the device vs Ooma central; if Ooma changes how this is done, they'd need to push firmware out.
#107792 by Tom
Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:46 pm
Thanks lbmofo. Hub and telo internals are different but their interface to the outside world must be virtually identical, which explains why there's still sporadic hub updates. These are needed to track any changes made on the outside that require a client change.
#108288 by Waltr
Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:23 pm
I agree that there should be some user control over Telo updates unless Ooma intends to start replacing Telos bricked by failed updates for free or provide a method for reinitializing a firmware update. I had spent two days verifying that my Telo had been bricked by a failed update to be told, all we can do is sell you an new or refurbished unit. That means time with no service and the additional insult of paying for new hardware. Luckily I bought it with my Amex and it was still under the extended warranty from Amex, so I only had to deal with a week of no service.

I could actually get into the Telo's OS, it just wouldn't work with Ooma. I could change all user configurable settings. There is no excuse for having to replace the unit If I can get into the web interface. I should be able to access a maintenance mode where I can initiate a firmware download.