Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#9324 by blueheelercd
Fri May 08, 2009 6:35 am
Is this the one and only suggestion box?

Even the most basic answering machine lets you hear and screen your calls. I need this. I guess I did not read that premiere package list well enough. So if I want a basic answering machine I have to go out and buy one, or pay $99.99 year.

The instruction guide that tells you how to use ooma's should tell you what will and will not work if you don't pay the extra, money.

Basically you pay or you do not have anything.

So $99.99 plus the machine is about $24 + for 12 months.

The second year breaks down to $14 +, a month.

You should at least be able to hear your calls.

I'm not so sure I'd recommend this to anyone without telling them it will cost about 10 bucks a month, after the machine.

Looks like i'll be putting the answering machine on in my
Fax.

blueheelercd

I bought it to save money.

Come on guys, a basic answering machine???????
#9325 by murphy
Fri May 08, 2009 6:51 am
blueheelercd wrote:The second year breaks down to $14 +, a month.

99.99 / 12 = 8.33 per month
#9326 by buzzman
Fri May 08, 2009 7:00 am
I know it's obvious, but can't you just use your phone's answering machine?

In my case, I decided to use my phone's answering machine because Ooma's inability to screen calls (for non-Premium). I'd also like to have access to my voicemail even when Ooma is down.

However, when I travel, I use Ooma's voicemail system since I'd like to have the ability to check my voicemail offsite.
#9331 by blueheelercd
Fri May 08, 2009 7:20 am
I suppose the original equipment should depreciate.

But I am really disappointed in the no call screening.

The economical disaster has hit me hard, and I really do not want to pay more for a service I think should be basic, as in most answering machines you buy.
#9333 by WayneDsr
Fri May 08, 2009 7:33 am
But you're getting a FREE basic answering machine, along with FREE phone service!
ooma has to make money to exist or we won't get either of the above! I don't think they're asking too much considering any other telco these days.

AND
I'm sorry about the economic disaster. I feel for you, it hit me hard to.
Unemployed for the first time in 25 years. I feel your pain.

Wayne
#9345 by Pandora
Fri May 08, 2009 9:57 am
I think the Ooma answering machine is free. I prefer to use my own answering machine, and haven't had any problem using it.

You seem to want a premium feature for free. I don't think that is how Ooma advertises or markets.

If you are dissatisfied with Ooma and within the 30 day trial period, it may be possible to return your Ooma core system. I know when a product doesn't live up to my expectations, it gets returned. I'd hate to read posts from someone very unhappy with a product who feels trapped or tricked into keeping it.

Whatever you do, good luck!
#9383 by jmassimilla
Sat May 09, 2009 4:08 am
I don't know of another telco that even offers the ability to monitor incoming calls. Plus, even though it is referred to as an answering machine, it is actually voicemail, with an innovative way of retrieving it at home.
#9429 by Neubiee
Sun May 10, 2009 11:46 am
OP-Understand your frustration. But like everyone else pointed out.. lets have some reasonable expectations from a sub $250 device!

Couple options:
1- You could probably buy a used answering machine off craigslist for 10 bucks.
2- Use Google Voice -- should be coming out this summer.
#9438 by doug
Sun May 10, 2009 6:11 pm
[quote="blueheelercd"]Come on guys, a basic answering machine???????/quote]

I'm still a Ooma noobie, but I think the crux of the issue comes down to the difference between voicemail and an answering machine. What Ooma really seems to provide in the core service (non-premiere) is free voicemail, but with the added dedicated buttons / lights of an answering machine for ease of use when by the hub or a scout.

Do you complain to your cell provider that their voicemail does not let you screen calls while people leave messages? Or voicemail from a local phone company?

At the free core level, Ooma takes voicemail one step farther from an ease of use standpoint by providing the buttons on the hub or scout. Then they designed in the technical ability to perform call screening, which is highly unusual for a voicemail system. (Or at least I've never met another one which could do it.) The fact they chose to enable that feature only as part of the premiere package in no way detracts from the fact they already provide free voicemail with the buttons and flashing light more typically associated with an answering machine.

I think the only "problem" here is one of semantics -- Ooma called it a "Broadband Answering Machine" and under premiere referred to the call screening as part of the "enhanced voicemail". In my opinion, the terminology is backwards. I view the core service as enhanced voicemail (enhanced due to the buttons and lights typical of an answering machine) and the premiere call screening the answering machine. In addition, premiere also adds other enhancements to the voicemail as well. I'd have just called the core service voicemail.

If you feel the other premiere features do not justify its nominal expense, then like others, I'd suggest you just use a traditional answering machine or analog phone with integrated answering machine. They are dirt cheap.