Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#107612 by MLXXXp
Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:05 am
Some voicemail systems accept the star (*) key to skip the greeting and go straight to recording a message (Ooma voicemail uses the pound (#) key for this feature). With Ooma voicemail, if a caller accidentally presses *, or presses it hoping to bypass the greeting, they're locked into the PIN entry sequence. They have to hang up and call again in order to leave a message.

I'd like to see it changed so that, when prompted for a PIN, pressing only a *, before entering any digits, would return to playing the greeting from the start, followed by allowing a message to be recorded. If PIN digits are entered before pressing * then it would still mean "start again", as it does now.
#107622 by lbmofo
Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:24 pm
MLXXXp wrote:Some voicemail systems accept the star (*) key to skip the greeting and go straight to recording a message (Ooma voicemail uses the pound (#) key for this feature). With Ooma voicemail, if a caller accidentally presses *, or presses it hoping to bypass the greeting, they're locked into the PIN entry sequence. They have to hang up and call again in order to leave a message.

I am not against or for your feature request. Just making some related comments.

Looking at Verizon, T Mobile, and AT&T......Verizon is the only one that uses * to skip greeting, the other 2 use # (my work voicemail uses # as well; so I am thinking # is more common than *). Hence more common to use * to get to own voicemail box entering PIN like Ooma.

As for pin entry abort, here are the behaviors for different carriers:

Ooma - pin entry loop
Verizon - pin entry loop
AT&T - lets you escape with * but asks for mailbox (phone number); once you get to the same mailbox, asks for pin again
T Mobile - lets you escape and lets you leave a message
#107642 by MLXXXp
Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:31 am
lbmofo wrote:Looking at Verizon, T Mobile, and AT&T......Verizon is the only one that uses * to skip greeting, the other 2 use # (my work voicemail uses # as well; so I am thinking # is more common than *).

I'm switching to Ooma voicemail from my Panasonic cordless phone system's built in answering machine. Panasonic uses * to bypass the greeting. (You just start entering your PIN to access voicemail). This will cause some irritation to people calling me who have been using this feature, until they get used to using #. They'll have to hang up and call again.

Due to the popularity of Panasonic phone systems with answering machines, the use of * to skip the greeting may be more common than you think.
#107663 by lbmofo
Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:08 pm
MLXXXp wrote:Due to the popularity of Panasonic phone systems with answering machines, the use of * to skip the greeting may be more common than you think.

That may very well be. However, you are talking to the wrong guy when it comes to Panasonic phones. I think they are way over priced and over rated. Just like Verizon wireless is overrated.

I recently advised against a friend wanting to switch from T-Mobile to Verizon and get iPhone 5. I suggested that she go with iPhone 5 from AT&T because AT&T LTE is faster and in spots without LTE, at least AT&T non LTE (3G & regular 4G) is much much much faster than Verizon 3G. She went against my advice and got Verizon because she witnessed so many of her co-workers having excellent signal at work with Verzion vs other carriers. Well, with Verizon, she does have good service at work but she doesn't have a usable signal at her home and my other friend's house I last saw her at. All wireless companies have holes in their coverage. Choose the one based on your needs vs believing the hype. Same thing with Panasonic. All hype. Other DECT 6 phones are just as good (maybe exception of Vtech and Uniden? :) Anyway, it is Saturday afternoon and I digress.

You know what I also found out? Vonage uses # to skip greetings just like Ooma and Comcast uses * just like Verizon (the evil guys). If given the choice, and with Ooma not being a choice, I prefer Vonage over Comcast and Verizon. And of course any phone system over Panasonic.

This guy talks about "One, Star, Pound" system solving the problem Skipping Voicemail Greetings: One – Star / Pound but I prefer #, *, 1 just like the person in comments section says :)
#107677 by MLXXXp
Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:44 am
Well, regardless of how other voicemail systems work, and possible workarounds, are there any downsides to Ooma implementing the recommendation in my post that started this thread?
#107720 by Telo_BK
Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:29 am
I think it's an excellent suggestion. I'm also glad that I'm not the only one who thinks Verizon is evil. I've never had them, but I've heard too many complaints from friends (mostly nickle and diming - increased by magnitude 2 or 3, and very poor customer service) . AT&T is said not to be the least expensive, but after comparing the other three majors, they always save us the most money. I don't work for them, but they've always treated me fairly (though I've read stories where that didn't happen). None of my friends have ever complained about them, and the LTE in Phoenix Metro area is FAAAST!