Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#107134 by peabody
Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:35 am
In the last few months there has been a lot of discussion in geeky circles about bufferbloat. The idea is that with respect to upstream traffic, a larger buffer is not better, and may have a bad effect on performance. Overall speed and reliability may be improved if buffer size is reduced, or if packets are simply dropped after being in the buffer too long.

I don't know if there's any information about upstream buffering in the Telo, but perhaps the Telo guys could take a look at this issue in their spare time :-) if they haven't already done so. This would apply when the Telo is placed immediately behind the modem, and all internet traffic from the LAN is going through it. So this issue would affect all traffic, not just phone calls.

If all my traffic is going through the Telo, it would be nice if the Telo behaved well in this regard, including using the buffer management algorithms that have been developed for optimal performance, totally aside from the QoS issues involved with phone calls.

The Wikipedia entry on bufferbloat gives some general information.
#107151 by lbmofo
Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:40 pm
I believe in the Modem/Ooma/Router config, Ooma sets reserved bandwidth for Ooma traffic and set those with highest priority. Then the rest of the traffic after. After that, as far as Ooma device is concerned, it is out of the picture as far as how all the traffic is handled by the ISP and router.
#107170 by peabody
Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:02 pm
So the Telo has no upstream buffer? That would be surprising for a device acting as a router.