Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#106960 by peabody
Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:30 am
Ooma only accepts credit and debit cards. I learned from the recent experience of a relative's death that the banks have a habit of shutting down such cards automatically when someone dies. But direct ACH charges to a checking account continue to work.

So if I kick the bucket, there would soon be no phone service at the house because Ooma's charges would be kicked back. Not a good situation.

My understanding is that ACH charges are substantially lower than credit card fees. So Ooma itself would benefit from using ACH. Don't know about debit cards. Paypal's default payment method is ACH - probably a good reason for that.

I have had all my utilities, newspapers and other regular monthly services charged to my bank account for years, and never had a problem. And when I have to get a new credit card because the old number has been compromised, I don't have to give the new number to a whole list of people.

Well, just something to consider.
#107118 by lbmofo
Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:03 pm
With anything, there are pros and cons. If Ooma thought about ACH and didn't opt to inlclude, it is probably due to reasons such as "unlike the credit card network, the ACH network is unable to provide real time authorization of funds." Also, ACH network only works during banking days.
#107120 by peabody
Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:01 pm
Well, for Telo and other device purchases, I can how immediate confirmation would be important. But for periodic regular payments, ACH seems like a natural. If Ooma could save a percent or two on all those billings, that might overcome any disadvantages. It does seem instructive that Paypal strongly prefers ACH for all payments, despite any shortcomings it might have. And I currently pay both AT&T and my long distance provider by ACH every month. If it works for them, it might work for Ooma.

I apologize for not knowing this, but are the monthly fees and taxes ($3.71 per month for my ZIP code) charged each month, or are they paid annually? My understanding is that the Premier service is paid annually, but I don't know about the taxes.
#107123 by lbmofo
Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:38 pm
Taxes are monthly. Premier can be yearly or monthly.