Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#105848 by yukit
Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:00 pm
I really meant to say is the upgrade a significant call quality improvement, especially to international calls such as to Japan?

I have been a relatively satisfied user of Hub & Scout (though Scout is not being used currently) with the Basic service.

I have been offered to upgrade to Telo & Linx since the Hub is basically being End-Of-Lifed in terms of active maintenance.

I only care about 1-2 calls per month to/from Japan with the Ooma phone at this point so people there can still reach me at the same number. (we all have cell phones for day-to-day stuff)

My search in the forum for the quality comparison was inconclusive. Most people (including threads on Amazon) said that Hub is good enough, no need to upgrade to Telo for basic usage. Is this still true?

The upgrade cost is not a big deal, but if there isn't a significant call quality improvement, I will just avoid the hassle of changing hardware.

TIA.
#105850 by lbmofo
Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:22 pm
As I said before /viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7981&start=40#p64811, if your internet quality is good, Hub voice quality should be as good as Telo. Telo is supposed to handle/make up for bad internet quality better. Since my post, I've had Telo on my network as well. Since my internet quality is good, I perceive no difference between Hub and Telo in voice quality using normal phones connected to the "phone" port. However, Ooma handset to Ooma handset calls (and Ooma mobile app calls to Ooma handsets) sound a lot better because of Ooma HD (but this requires good internet quality as well). Take a look at this for your reference: viewtopic.php?t=10023
#105853 by yukit
Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:49 pm
Your posts have been mos helpful to reach my current conclusion; I don't need to upgrade.

I have pretty good internet connectivity at home: 20mb down, 5-10 mb up, 15-20ms latency.

Since I don't have anything I can compare with at home, I wasn't sure if I was missing much in terms of call quality.

I will worry about my options when my Hub dies.

Thanks,
#105854 by lbmofo
Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:15 pm
Keep in mind though VoIP is not all about ISP speed.
Do VoIP quality tests and check.
With good Internet quality, you should experience quality no different than regular landline.
With overseas calls though, different story. Depends on connection of call carrier. Same experience as if using landline to call overseas with calling card. My experience with Ooma international calling has been far better than calling cards with a couple of countries that I usually call.