Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#107979 by mbclemen
Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:28 am
Hello,
Port request went in March 1 and was completed this morning, no problems. I also just ported my cell phone from Rogers to Virgin and they were able to have the number changed over before I got home half an hour later. I wonder why home phone porting takes so long. No complaints at all, just curious.
#107981 by lbmofo
Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:59 am
Likely the same in Canada....

Wireless to wireless ports are automated, hence take less than 5 minutes in most cases.
Ports involving landline & voip are not.
#116668 by Let's Try Ooma
Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:58 pm
turbo9 wrote:I ported my number in a couple of weeks from Bell here in Ottawa with no problems other than they tend to do it at 4:00 on a Friday.

I'm in Ottawa too, but no Ooma for me. I bought one (and a UPS) thinking it wouldn't be a problem--in addition to fellow Ottawa folk posting their positive experiences online, I have an Ottawa friend who has made the switch too and couldn't be more pleased. So I assumed I could have it too.

But Ooma says NO. I'm livid. Don't believe the hype folks.
#116679 by turbo9
Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:47 am
The web page says no, or the call centre says no?

Who is your current carrier and where (more precisely) do you live? I've convinced many in Ottawa to make the move.

If the actual issue is porting, the problem likely lies with your current carrier and their ability / desire to not allow porting.

If you just want Ooma and don't mind a new phone number, I don't see any technical reasons you could not go this route. I only ported my number because Ooma offered it to me for free if I signed up someone else.
#116683 by Let's Try Ooma
Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:28 am
Hi turbo9, thanks for your interest in my situation and posting. I'm with Bell Canada (with whom I've my overpriced landline and excellent internet service) and I live in Orleans near just on the west side of Trim Road.

The web page said no, and I contacted the 'chat' customer service (I haven't called). The response was (this is copied and pasted from someone else's post since I didn't save mine, but I believe it is the same word for word) " it does appear that your number remains not portable at this time due to lack of coverage. By lack of coverage we mean that our carriers do not have any Inter Connect Agreements with the rate centers/carriers in your area. In the vast majority of cases, porting a phone number is not a problem. However, there are circumstances (like yours) where we don't have a connection to the rate center. In those rare instances we cannot port a number to us. These agreements are typically harder to obtain in smaller, more rural areas. You may navigate to the following page if you'd like more information on inter connect agreements. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interconnect_agreement. "

You are quite right that I could just accept the new phone number (from Smith's Falls, I believe, there was nothing from Ottawa). But I much, much rather port, and I may yet return my device & cancel (this is deal-breaker territory for me). Certainly if I'd known about this, I wouldn't have signed up.

Plenty of rural numbers available when I signed up. It's the big city that seems to be the problem... :|
To be honest, I'm kind of livid. I have a fried in Ottawa (closer to downtown) who has ported no problem, as have many posters on this board.
If you have any suggestions, I'd be pleased to read them... Thanks!
#116685 by turbo9
Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:19 pm
I was with bell as well. I'm in the city and had no issues. The problem likely is how bell serves up your number. It might be on some ancient switch.

One option is to strip your bell down to the minimum and use Ooma for outgoing calls if you actually make long distance calls since they are free with Ooma while bell gets up to date. But, a Smith falls number would be trouble for those that still pay for long distance and call your Ooma number since Smith falls is about 100 km away.

However, it sounds like Ooma needs more Ottawa numbers. Ask them when they are getting more numbers which are"local" to Orleans. It's crap that they are out of numbers and Ooma is not crap from my experience.
#117069 by Larry Lix
Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:54 am
Vonage uses the "We can't support 911 service in your area" for their excuse. I couldn't port my Meaford number either. I took out a pay-as-you-go number with Virgin Mobile for minimum money and transferred that number to Ooma. After 8 months of discovering it isn't very reliable I wonder if it was worth the few bucks saved after the first year of service. For now I will stick with it but once Bell smartens up to better rates I'll be gone to something more on a professional quality. Expect the usual trolls. HCI.