Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#105729 by jtykal
Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:33 am
I was about to start a thread like this one, but am happy to find it already here, and to find that other Ooma early adopters with the Hub/Scout (like me) find the upgrade offer less than compelling. I've been a Premier subscriber from Day 1, enjoying the dedicated second line that the Hub/Scout offer. With the Hub/Scout, I have two completely separate phone lines in the house -- each with their own visual voice mail indicators, answering machine capabilities, privacy (send to voicemail) buttons, and jacks that I can use to connect into my existing home phone wiring. Plus, all of the Premier features on BOTH lines. The only way I have seen to replicate this setup using the new hardware is to buy TWO Telos, but that would mean paying for Premier TWICE in order to maintain the features I already have with the Hub/Scout. So the "upgrade" would cost me at least $200 out of pocket, plus an extra $120/year -- just to keep the functionality that I already have.

Slightly off topic, but I was one of the beta testers when the Telo first came out, and as the beta period was wrapping up, I actually gave away the Telo and handset because it didn't come close to the functionality of the Hub/Scout that I still enjoy today. I can do without HD quality voice and pretty pictures on a handset -- I would much rather see Ooma focus some of their development efforts on improving features for ALL Premier customers, such as BETTER BLACKLIST MANAGEMENT -- unlimited numbers, sorting by # of calls/most recent/etc., multi-delete, Blacklist wildcards, you get the idea... C'mon Ooma, this would be SO EASY to do! After almost 4 years with Ooma, I have exhausted the 256 number limit in the Personal Blacklist, and find the feature less and less compelling as I try to juggle numbers in/out of the Blacklist to keep the number-cycling robo-callers at bay.
#105734 by Tom
Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:37 am
An Ooma handset is like holding a Scout in your hand and more. To compare:

Features the Scout and HD2 have in common:
1. second line
2. voicemail access - play/stop/rew/ff/save/delete
3. new voicemail alert - this will be improved on HD2
4. speaker with volume adjustment
5. do not disturb
6. send to voicemail
7. conferencing
8. brightness adjust

Features only available on HD2:
1. contact management
2. picture ID
3. call logs
4. recently dialed
5. speed dial favorites
6. HD audio
7. clock / date
8. information screen
9. device naming

Carrying around a cordless phone attached to a Scout is not the same as carrying an HD2 because not all
the Scout functionality is accessible from the phone. And the phone may not have a headset jack or color
display with callerid etc.
#105735 by jtykal
Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:36 am
OK, Tom B - but can I plug the HD2 into a wall jack and use it to drive all of the extension phones throughout my house? I can (and do) with a Scout. Yes, I can (probably) do that with the Linx, but then I still need a HD2 handset on this line to get the VM capability of the Scout.

So to keep the functionality I already have, it would require:
    a Telo (to replace my primary line Hub), $99.99 upgrade
    a Linx (to replace my Scout's ability to drive the extension phones in my house on a second line), $30.00 upgrade
    a HD2 handset (to give me the VM capabilities of the Scout on the second line), $59.99
There is some value in the upgrade because it allows me to get Bluetooth capabilities on my office phone, but that is the only meaningful feature I would gain. I can't justify spending $220 to get it (for the above equipment plus a $30 bluetooth adapter).

I'd be willing to pay for the Telo/Linx upgrade ($120) if you can convince the sales/marketing guys to throw in a HD2 and a bluetooth adapter. As a 4-year Premier subscriber, aren't I worth it? ;) Call me, maybe?
#105748 by Tom
Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:23 pm
Typically dialtone distribution is done from the Hub (makes it so phone jacks without Scouts have dialtone even though they lack the 2nd line functionality). Distributing dialtone from the Scout only makes sense if it's a private Scout and you have 2 separate loops in the house.

Accessing voicemail over Linx is maybe a little less user-friendly than using a Scout, but I would venture that many people with cordless phones attached to the Scout don't walk up to the Scout to check voicemail but use their phones.
#105763 by jtykal
Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:12 pm
I do have two separate loops, it is a private Scout, any my wife is old school when it comes to voice mail -- she thinks the Scout is an answering machine, and even though I've shown her how to do it, she HATES accessing VM from the phones...
I guess I'll just stick with the setup that I have until the hardware fails. Then I'll shop for a new provider with the best bang for the buck. If that's Ooma again, great! If not, then it was good while it lasted -- no regrets...
#105771 by funone46
Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:14 am
I have been with OOMA since the begining. I have no intention on paying for services that I don,t pay for now.
Really can not understand how fees can be charged when I already pay taxes and fees on my internet services. The FCC is double dipping IMHO
Last edited by funone46 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
#105773 by highq
Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:56 am
funone46 wrote:I have been with OOMA since the begging. I have no intention on paying for services that I don,t pay for now.
Really can not understand how fees can be charged when I already pay taxes and fees on my internet services. The FCC is double dipping IMHO

The FCC doesn't levy taxes, so what are you talking about?
#105774 by funone46
Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:03 am
highq wrote:
funone46 wrote:I have been with OOMA since the begging. I have no intention on paying for services that I don,t pay for now.

The FCC doesn't levy taxes, so what are you talking about?

The taxes and fees that are added on now. I was grandfathered in way back before the charges started.
Maybe it is state, local and federal fees. I have no idea at this point because I do not have any fees, or charges now.
The fees are very low. but my system works great. And would have to get a telo,linx, and additional handset to replace what I have now. Lifetime Premier can be transfered at any time I upgrade according to CS. So that is a non issue. If it goes down,there is almost always a sale some where on the equipment.
OOMA has never failed me and it is a great service.
#106401 by oomg
Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:40 am
jtykal wrote:I do have two separate loops, it is a private Scout, any my wife is old school when it comes to voice mail -- she thinks the Scout is an answering machine, and even though I've shown her how to do it, she HATES accessing VM from the phones...
I guess I'll just stick with the setup that I have until the hardware fails. Then I'll shop for a new provider with the best bang for the buck. If that's Ooma again, great! If not, then it was good while it lasted -- no regrets...

As an owner of multiple Ooma systems (I think it is 5 now -- 4 core and one Telo with 2 on Lifetime Premier), I tend to agree with jtykal regarding the added versatility of the Hub/Scout system. On our primary system, we do use the Scout as the answering machine on the first floor of our home since the Hub is located in my study (or command central if you prefer). I generally access messages from all my Ooma systems via email attached to my iPhone which I like since the message will remain active on my Ooma device for others to access as needed.

When Ooma started discussing the Linx, I was envisioning a wireless Scout, but alas, not quite. As far as equipment failure is concerned, I have purchased a couple of Hub/Scout systems as a back up. Hopefully, I will not not need to use them for a long time. As far as a new provider is concerned, I have yet to see anyone that comes close to Ooma when the price and all features are considered.