Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#105602 by dannykhen
Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:49 pm
Ooma is aggressively promoting an upgrade to Telo+Linx to replace my Hub+Scout. There is no benefit for me in upgrading (current setup is fine and voice quality is already excellent). More importantly, an upgrade would mean a reduction in service for me. Today, I extensively use Scout's "answering machine" interface to voice mail. The Hub is in a remote part of the house where the Internet modem is, and the Scout is on the kitchen counter, where I can pay attention to voice mail and listen to messages.

The new Linx, however, has lost this feature - it only has the telephony hookup, but no answering machine h/w.

This Scout feature was one of Ooma's unique features, a real differentiator, and is very valuable. Why did Ooma drop this wonderful feature?
What is the workaround with the new h/w?

Danny
#105604 by lbmofo
Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:57 pm
No workaround. HD2 & Linx combo at max of 4 devices.

Via Telo wifi adapter, you could put the Telo in the kitchen but no other workaround (of course, HD2 and newer phone systems connected to Ooma would have VM indicator).
#105606 by Tom
Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:09 pm
You can interact with Ooma voicemail using either the keypad/touchpad on the Ooma hub/scout/telo or
using touch-tones pressed on any phone connected to these devices (wired or wireless). The Linx has no
keypad so to access voicemail you need to use the phone attached to the Linx.

The touch-tone interface mostly overlaps with the keypad interface, but not offered are:

1. toggling Do-Not-Disturb - this will be added in a future release
2. sending a call to voicemail
3. establishing a 3-way conference

These features can be accessed however on Ooma handsets.
#105626 by dannykhen
Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:02 pm
Thanks everyone. That's all very nice, but not as neat and efficient as the setup I have today with the old h/w. I don't want both Telo and the base of my cordless phone system on my kitchen counter, it's messy. Also, I don't want ooma to go thru wifi; I want the high service quality offered by the ooma router being up front, before my network router. And finally, none of this is unique to ooma; all VoIPs have voice mail interfaces thru the phone or the web. But ooma was unique in the simplicity and neat design of an answering-machine-like interface, on the small and elegant Scout. Bold, easy to use and very accessible. Now ooma only has this on the Telo, which does not fit my needs (and I'll bet, others' too).
For the life of me, I can't understand how ooma threw out this unique, differentiating feature. You had a good thing in your hands, and you gave it up. Why? What's the business reason behind this design decision?
#105653 by Tom
Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:52 am
If you put an Ooma handset in speaker mode it's like holding a scout in your hand. All voicemail functionality
is available using the handset keypad. Ooma handsets also remove the need for a cordless base station.
#105663 by dannykhen
Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:22 am
Thanks Tom. What you are saying is that I need to buy a Telo *and* an Ooma handset, then also start paying $5/month, just to get to similar functionality like I have today - already having bought a Hub, a Scout, and a 5-handset cordless system. That's not very compelling...
Can you give me one good reason to upgrade to this arrangement? (I know about better voice etc., but that's not compelling either, since I have good broadband and voice is excellent already.)

If Ooma wants to start rolling taxes and fees back to customers, that's fair enough, I want the service to keep existing and I am willing to pay the fees, but don't tie that to a forced upgrade to hardware that I don't need. That's not a popular move with customers. In fact, if that's my only option, it would be a good reason for me to shop around again for a different VoIP service with a smaller initial investment in hardware.

Instead, Ooma could keep fully supporting my hardware in exchange to a new agreement that makes me start paying the fees. You manage your costs, and you retain a happy customer. Win-Win. Can you do it?
(If you're not the right person to answer this, can you ping someone who could?)

Danny
#105664 by Tom
Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:35 am
The hub/scout are a supported product, but no new features are being adding to it except those required
to sustain operations, so enjoy your scout while it lasts.
#105698 by jt25741
Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:15 pm
dannykhen wrote:Thanks Tom. What you are saying is that I need to buy a Telo *and* an Ooma handset, then also start paying $5/month, just to get to similar functionality like I have today - already having bought a Hub, a Scout, and a 5-handset cordless system. That's not very compelling...
Can you give me one good reason to upgrade to this arrangement? (I know about better voice etc., but that's not compelling either, since I have good broadband and voice is excellent already.)

If Ooma wants to start rolling taxes and fees back to customers, that's fair enough, I want the service to keep existing and I am willing to pay the fees, but don't tie that to a forced upgrade to hardware that I don't need. That's not a popular move with customers. In fact, if that's my only option, it would be a good reason for me to shop around again for a different VoIP service with a smaller initial investment in hardware.

Instead, Ooma could keep fully supporting my hardware in exchange to a new agreement that makes me start paying the fees. You manage your costs, and you retain a happy customer. Win-Win. Can you do it?
(If you're not the right person to answer this, can you ping someone who could?)

Danny

Danny I am in the same exact situation as you. I have a hub away near my cable modem...and use the scout in the kitchen as a simple answering machine extension. Works great. Dont feel bad.....you and I were early adopters....got Ooma going with our purchases...lived through our share of bumps and hicups because of it......and reap the rewards that we have a good deal/service right now. We wanted phone service for "life" when we got into this.....and it has been a few years now....and we are enjoying that. The hub/scout wont last forever....but enjoy the simplicity of the setup today. I am. I wont be paying for more hardware to do less with more....at least not now. I still recommend Ooma to others because of my combined experience.......even though the Hub/Scout are long gone.
#105706 by roadshow
Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:21 pm
dannykhen wrote:Thanks everyone. That's all very nice, but not as neat and efficient as the setup I have today with the old h/w. I don't want both Telo and the base of my cordless phone system on my kitchen counter, it's messy. Also, I don't want ooma to go thru wifi; I want the high service quality offered by the ooma router being up front, before my network router. And finally, none of this is unique to ooma; all VoIPs have voice mail interfaces thru the phone or the web. But ooma was unique in the simplicity and neat design of an answering-machine-like interface, on the small and elegant Scout. Bold, easy to use and very accessible. Now ooma only has this on the Telo, which does not fit my needs (and I'll bet, others' too).
For the life of me, I can't understand how ooma threw out this unique, differentiating feature. You had a good thing in your hands, and you gave it up. Why? What's the business reason behind this design decision?

I totally agree! Ooma should have made these features available on the Linx. I really think Ooma dropped the ball here. maybe the Linx 2 will have the features that the current model should.
#105716 by caseybea
Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:19 pm
Same here. HUB is in my basement, SCOUT is in my kitchen and is SUPER handy as an answering machine control. Love the big buttons and lights. Nothing OOMA offers with their Telo setup is similar.

I have ZERO incentive to move to the Telo. The extra costs, taxes, fees, and the fact that I'd have to start paying for "premier" to get caller-id-with-text make it a completely sour deal to think about. I would end up from going from zero dollars a month to somewhere around 20 bucks a month.

NO THANK YOU.