Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#105562 by MattB
Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:18 am
I"ve been using ooma for 7 years now and have been extremely happy (minus a few issues with their customer support), but the service overall is great. And the price - is (WAS) unbeatable -- FREE. I used it for basic home service. Now I just received an email from ooma support asking me to upgrade to a new device -- for which I will have to start paying new fees and taxes.

OOMA: Why?! Why do you now all of a sudden have to start charging these fees and taxes? Was there a change in laws somewhere? I don't get it. :?

Don't count on me upgrading any time soon!
#105719 by caseybea
Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:39 pm
The fees and taxes are not new. Ooma has had them for years, with the advent of their TELO device. HUB owners do not pay fees or taxes, because those (older) devices are still covered by the older TERMS OF SERVICE.

I, like you, received the notification. While I appreciate the telo's new features and such, there are some technological differences (as well as the costs) involved that I am not interested in moving to at this time.

If you are happy with the HUB, as I am, you can continue to use it until the day the hardware fails.
#105725 by snowcross
Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:35 am
The "requested" upgrade is disappointing.
Ooma is making an offer to spend additional money for a service that is in less demand due to increased use of mobile phones.
Its a purchase of $100 (or more if I opt to get a Linx) by Feb.15th, as insurance of continued good service.
I understand that the offer is at a special, lower price than the norm, but it is nonetheless an unexpected, not needed expense.
What's to stop Ooma from further, future equipment upgrades that will in turn require customers to purchase new equipment again, or, run the risk of service problems that will not be addressed by Ooma?
Why can't Ooma make a better offer--one which does not require purchase of new equipment?
I can't see making another purchase if the company is not willing to stand by a product and the customers that helped make it a success. :!:
#105727 by southsound
Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:59 am
Sounds like a conspiracy by the government. First they outlaw 100 watt bulbs. Now the hub is on the short list. Pretty soon they will make it illegal to have a hub with more than 10 handsets. Then Feinstein will create a bill to confiscate any hub that has military features.... wait I think I may be confusing issues.

Maybe ooma is just trying to give loyal customers a sweet price on their latest offering?? :P
#106260 by cindyd
Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:53 pm
I, too, am disappointed that this is how Ooma treats their longest customers. Our willingness to try a new company and loyalty for staying through the early snags is rewarded with a “special offer” to purchase the Telo for $100 and a Linx (which I would also need) for “just $30 more”? To ensure continued support, we have to make another purchase because Ooma is “limiting customer support activities” for the Ooma Hub that we bought. And, if we buy the new Telo device we transition to the new Terms and Conditions thereby incurring monthly taxes and fees? GREAT. Have you considered who your customer base is? We are not likely those who trade in their cars every 2 years. I had my concerns about the sustainability of your business model—now I get it.

And, in reading some of the earlier posts, I have learned that upgrading to the new equipment (if I were to take this bait), would cause me another problem. My Ooma Hub is in a remote area of my home and the Scout is in the kitchen, where counter real estate is at a premium. The new Telo won’t even replace my existing model’s functionality for voicemail.

I have told so many people about how great Ooma is. That is not likely to continue. I would hope you would reconsider this decision or modify the offer and grandfather your original customers in so at least we were excluded from your new Terms & Conditions. I do not feel like a valued customer. :!: When my Hub fails, I will shop around for another VoIP system, from a company that will stand by their products and appreciate their CURRENT customers.

[quote="snowcross"]The "requested" upgrade is disappointing.
Ooma is making an offer to spend additional money for a service that is in less demand due to increased use of mobile phones.
Its a purchase of $100 (or more if I opt to get a Linx) by Feb.15th, as insurance of continued good service.
I understand that the offer is at a special, lower price than the norm, but it is nonetheless an unexpected, not needed expense.
What's to stop Ooma from further, future equipment upgrades that will in turn require customers to purchase new equipment again, or, run the risk of service problems that will not be addressed by Ooma?
Why can't Ooma make a better offer--one which does not require purchase of new equipment?
I can't see making another purchase if the company is not willing to stand by a product and the customers that helped make it a success. :!:
#106301 by penang
Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:15 pm
I purchased two hubs for about $250 each and received the same "offer". It is not really an offer if I have to pay more with *downgraded* service. I believe by OOMA duping the user to switch from "hub core" to "telo basic", we will not only have to pay the up front cost for the TELO and monthly tax, we will also *lose* features such as caller id CNAME, voice mail, Anonymous block, etc. If OOMA wants to raise revenue by recouping more money from the old customers that supported them from the very beginning, they could have offered the TELO with bundled one or two-year premier service upgrade BUT allow us to keep the core subscription after the program expired. I will be happily paying more to support them in that case. However, with the current "pay more to get less" offer, I will just hang on to my two hubs until they die, then I will look for different options at that time.
#106409 by MSV_NC
Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:41 am
I get it - you've been receiving a great product for a number of years "for free". In reality, Ooma was and is absorbing the costs of maintaining the service for you - including directly incurring and paying the required Federal taxes on your behalf. If you (and the rest of us) want them to stay around and be a healthy, on-going concern, we can AT LEAST pay for our own direct expenses (like the mandatory taxes).

Would I prefer "free"? Sure. But it is still a great service at a reasonable cost - particularly when compared to "Ma Bell". I have 2 Telo's on Premier and think about the money I'm SAVING every time the bill comes, not the few dollars of cost.
#106419 by penang
Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:39 pm
No you don’t get it. The sob argument of how OOMA is losing money due to the early adopters is moot. The consumers didn’t force the company to make the strategic decision of giving away the OOMA service for free to gain market share. We took the risky bet of being able to recoup our money with free service by buying the device before the company has a viable business case or customer base. I made no apologies of reaping the reward because I made the right bet. In additions, I am mainly using OOMA for international calls (which I *pay* OOMA separately) as I use my cell phone for most of my domestic calls. Although I still like OOMA and the *free* service, I just purchased an obi202 as a backup due to the announcement of OOMA EOLing the HUB. As far as I am concern, OBI + GV is providing the premier features I need for free until at least end of 2013. Even if GV starts charging money in 2014, OOMA premier will have to price competitively for me to choose it over GV. Sorry this is a free market, the strong survive and the weak perish.