Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#9630 by bc3tech
Wed May 13, 2009 6:41 pm
port complete today on the ooma side. I plugged in my hub and got all the wiring done and voila, i can send/receive calls on my ported number w/ my ooma.

now just have to wait and see what kind of a wrench Qwest's disconnect throws in to the works!
#9634 by deVries
Wed May 13, 2009 8:21 pm
My port request was done online on April 28. Port was scheduled today on May 13th.

I was NOT AWARE the port could take several hours to complete. It took 6+ hours to fully port local, long distance, 800/888 numbers, so I was concerned that everything would fully switch over.

Customer Service should email that the porting process on the day of change over can take several hours to complete. I have an elderly person in the home, 95yo, so I was a bit concerned not having phone service during transition. I'm getting a cell phone for back-up.

Besides that one complaint everything did complete today on the 13th, and the Ooma service has worked well.

My father complains that it takes 30-45 more seconds to complete calls than our other Time Warner VOIP service took.

Does anyone else have this 30-45 sec delay? Maybe Ooma can tweak it to work w/o this delay???
#9637 by murphy
Thu May 14, 2009 2:51 am
Are you dialing 10 digits or 7 digits?
If 7 digits, end with a # sign to abort the timeout waiting for the other 3 digits or get used to dialing 10 digits.
#9640 by bc3tech
Thu May 14, 2009 4:53 am
murphy wrote:Are you dialing 10 digits or 7 digits?
If 7 digits, end with a # sign to abort the timeout waiting for the other 3 digits or get used to dialing 10 digits.

good info - i noticed this last night when i attempted a 7-digit dial using the new ooma service. wasn't aware there was a way around this. i lived in the DC metro for over a year and got used to dialing 10digits out there, so wasn't too big of a deal for me to have to do that, but nonetheless nice to know there's a way around it!
#9641 by jmassimilla
Thu May 14, 2009 5:04 am
You can also check your Lounge settings under Preference-System. If you have "Enable 10 Digit Dialing" checked, that will give you a delay when dialing seven digit local numbers. By unchecking the box, you will have to dial 11 digits (1 before the area code) on long distance calls but the delay on 7 digit dialing usually disappears.
#9647 by bc3tech
Thu May 14, 2009 6:10 am
jmassimilla wrote:You can also check your Lounge settings under Preference-System. If you have "Enable 10 Digit Dialing" checked, that will give you a delay when dialing seven digit local numbers. By unchecking the box, you will have to dial 11 digits (1 before the area code) on long distance calls but the delay on 7 digit dialing usually disappears.

probably not a bad idea since i'm sure most of us are used to having to do that.

what about if you're in a metro area where 7 = assumed current area code, but you can use 10 to get to other local numbers in diff area codes? does ooma require 11 in those cases, anybody know?
#9651 by murphy
Thu May 14, 2009 6:34 am
bc3tech wrote:what about if you're in a metro area where 7 = assumed current area code, but you can use 10 to get to other local numbers in diff area codes? does ooma require 11 in those cases, anybody know?

What metro area still has 7 digit dialing? They abolished 7 digit dialing in Philadelphia at least 15 years ago. My house has three different area codes assigned to it. We do not dial a 1 to dial the other area codes.
#9652 by jmassimilla
Thu May 14, 2009 6:44 am
My home area code is 856 and our cell phones use 609. With the box unchecked in the Lounge, I have to dial 1 first to reach one of the cells. If not, I get a fast busy signal.
#9654 by bc3tech
Thu May 14, 2009 6:50 am
jmassimilla wrote:My home area code is 856 and our cell phones use 609. With the box unchecked in the Lounge, I have to dial 1 first to reach one of the cells. If not, I get a fast busy signal.

and those two area codes are "local" to each other?