Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#105071 by pbnash
Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:31 am
Excuse the very basic questions, but I'm researching Ooma for a family member who is moving (temporarily) out of the country and want to make sure I understand the costs and fees associated with using Ooma this way.

The goal is for them to have a US number they can continue to use as contact info for people/businesses they need to stay in touch with in the States. For some of the people (elderly relatives) they want to remain in contact with, the relative only has a landline (no internet, so no other options but phone for staying in touch).

This is my understanding on how it would work, but please correct any misinformation:

- They purchase the Ooma Telo and select a domestic number and/or port their existing number. They pay the monthly fees/taxes associated with the area code (?), plus any additional account features they subscribe to.

- Incoming calls made to their number from any US-based callers are billed to the caller based on their own domestic phone service plan rates

- Outgoing calls made from their Ooma to US-based numbers are free (included in the montlhy services and fees)

- Calls made to other countries from their Ooma would be covered by any international plan options they purchase for their Ooma account (unless the number they are calling is another Ooma, then it's covered by "free Ooma-to-Ooma calling anywhere in the world"?)

The FAQ mentions that:
Also, if you choose to install and use the Ooma system outside the US, you'll be solely responsible for compliance with international laws and subject to all associated fees, taxes, tariffs, and legal penalties.

Is it just a matter of confirming with their ISP in Australia that there are no restrictions or associated fees with using a VoIP device/service with their particular internet service plan?

Thanks!
#105084 by lbmofo
Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:23 pm
pbnash wrote:Excuse the very basic questions, but I'm researching Ooma for a family member who is moving (temporarily) out of the country and want to make sure I understand the costs and fees associated with using Ooma this way.

Welcome.

pbnash wrote:- They purchase the Ooma Telo and select a domestic number and/or port their existing number. They pay the monthly fees/taxes associated with the area code (?), plus any additional account features they subscribe to.

Monthly taxes (Regulatory Recovery Fee) is based on service address.

pbnash wrote:- Incoming calls made to their number from any US-based callers are billed to the caller based on their own domestic phone service plan rates

Yes.

pbnash wrote:- Outgoing calls made from their Ooma to US-based numbers are free (included in the montlhy services and fees)

As long as they are calling US domestic numbers.

pbnash wrote:- Calls made to other countries from their Ooma would be covered by any international plan options they purchase for their Ooma account (unless the number they are calling is another Ooma, then it's covered by "free Ooma-to-Ooma calling anywhere in the world"?)

Yes. Or pay out of their prepaid account. Ooma to Ooma is free.

pbnash wrote:The FAQ mentions that:
Also, if you choose to install and use the Ooma system outside the US, you'll be solely responsible for compliance with international laws and subject to all associated fees, taxes, tariffs, and legal penalties.

Is it just a matter of confirming with their ISP in Australia that there are no restrictions or associated fees with using a VoIP device/service with their particular internet service plan?

Just warning you in certain countries, VoIP is not legal; may have to pay taxes, fines, or other legal penalties. As for the ISP, if your Ooma works, they have nothing to do with it; don't think you need to let them know.