Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#104845 by lbmofo
Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:44 pm
Okay, I've done some testing with call screening turned on on the Google Voice side and with GVE auto-answer turned on on Ooma side. You are right, after the caller is done leaving a message, Google Voice wants you to take some action marking the message as read or new. Just press the stop button on the Telo to stop that.

If you have HD2 handset, turn on the "call screening" on the menu option and you'd be able to screen the GVE call using the HD2 as well. If you want to answer, just press the green answer button; if not, just hang up pressing the red button.

As for reviewing GV messages using the Telo, after a message is played and GV asks you to take action, just press the forward button again to hear the next message. If you want to take action on the messages, simply pick up a phone connected to your Telo or a Telo handset and take over the GV message review.
#104846 by jduffy
Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:43 am
Yes, I also found that out. I did indeed pick up the phone and give it commands that way. But the Telo should be doing that on its own.

I do not have an HD handset yet, but they are on their way.

The issue is that when I am not here to give it commands with a handset. Seems to me this should work correctly, in that when the caller hangs up after leaving a message, the Telo should be telling it to mark the message as unread and terminate the call. It does not.

Thanks,

Duffy
#104847 by jduffy
Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:46 am
lbmofo wrote:
jduffy wrote:What is not happening is that not all phones checked to ring on the GV side are ringing.

Is this because Ooma is still auto answering? When Ooma answers, it is no different than if you picked up the Ooma phone so I suppose no other forwarded phones would continue to ring.

OK, I am a little puzzled by the first question, but let me respond this way. The other phones do not even begin to ring on incoming calls. So they are not stopping because Ooma or GV answers, they do even being to ring from the start.

Duffy
#104850 by lbmofo
Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:45 am
jduffy wrote:
lbmofo wrote:
jduffy wrote:What is not happening is that not all phones checked to ring on the GV side are ringing.

Is this because Ooma is still auto answering? When Ooma answers, it is no different than if you picked up the Ooma phone so I suppose no other forwarded phones would continue to ring.

OK, I am a little puzzled by the first question, but let me respond this way. The other phones do not even begin to ring on incoming calls. So they are not stopping because Ooma or GV answers, they do even being to ring from the start.

Duffy

I have a cell phone that GV forwards to as well and when I call my GV number using a phone not in the GV account, the cell phone rings for a while before the Telo auto answers.
#104852 by jduffy
Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:54 am
Well here is what I learned from my constant experimentation with settings.

First, when I disable call screening on the GV side of things, then GV seems to work correctly. Not really sure completely since I can no longer hear anything after the caller leaves a message and hangs up. At least I do not hear anything, so I am only assuming that the Telo is terminating call. In fact, calling myself from another number, then leaving a message, then hanging up, then immediately picking up the line the voicemail came in on, gives me an immediate dial tone so Telo must be disconnected from GV at that point. So while it would be nice to have call screening, at least it now works like a traditional phone system. Would be nice to hear who is calling though. Oh, well.

Second, having call screening enabled on the Telo side of things has absolutely no effect on calls coming in on the GV virtual number or the regular Ooma number. That kind of makes sense from a GV standpoint, but seems to me it should not impact the regular Ooma number....meaning it should work. But it appears to me, that once you check for GV integration, call screening in terms of the Telo is disabled.

Finally, since enabling GV integration, it will only ring the Ooma and my cell phone when there is an incoming call. It will not ring the other VOIP line. Though after the fact, I will get a VM from the other VOIP phone that only says "press 2" and then ends.

Duffy
#104855 by jduffy
Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:04 am
Well fixed another issue. It is now ringing all phones checked in GV as it should. Frankly, this one was a user error that had nothing to do with Ooma.

So it is kind of working as expected, except I no longer have a working call screening. Wish it were 100%, but I guess this is better than nothing.

Best Regards,

Duffy
#104856 by lbmofo
Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:43 am
jduffy wrote:So it is kind of working as expected, except I no longer have a working call screening. Wish it were 100%, but I guess this is better than nothing.

I suppose this is purely a personal preference type of a thing but I wouldn't want Ooma to auto-answer so that if I am away from home, I'd have a better chance to answer my GV calls using my cell before Ooma picks up.

For me, even if I had Ooma GVE auto-answer turned on, if I wanted to screen my calls, I wouldn't mind the extra pushing of stop button or HD2 hangup once user leaves a message. This is because if I am by the Telo to listen, I'd be right there to push the stop button...if I am not there, I wouldn't be hearing all the "press this to mark read, press that to mark new etc by the Google lady."
#104863 by jduffy
Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:39 pm
I guess I cannot disagree. Actually the more I use it the more I actually like it this way. With call screening on, when picking up the call, I have to press 1 to answer. Did not like that. Now there is no call screening, but when I pick up the phone, I get connected right away. So I guess this will work out fine.

To everyone - thanks for all the help and suggestions as I experimented and worked through this!

Best Regards,

Duffy