Will we see SIP URI dialing?

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
voipdabbler

Will we see SIP URI dialing?

Post by voipdabbler » Mon May 04, 2009 11:24 am

I would like to see Ooma allow SIP URI dialing. Are there any thoughts to allowing this? Bobby, can you say?

bw1

Re: Will we see SIP URI dialing?

Post by bw1 » Mon May 04, 2009 2:32 pm

Do a search. I seem to remember Bobby B or Dennis P saying that it might be considered in the future. Unfortunately, I couldn't find it.

voipdabbler

Post by voipdabbler » Mon May 04, 2009 6:25 pm

bw1 wrote:Do a search. I seem to remember Bobby B or Dennis P saying that it might be considered in the future. Unfortunately, I couldn't find it.
I didn't find any discussion except my first post on this. Hence my question. I'm hoping Bobby responds. I'd like to be able to forward my IPKALL number to my Ooma number. Plus, SIP URI dialing is convenient.

Dennis P
Ooma Moderator

Post by Dennis P » Thu May 07, 2009 11:35 pm

Not a "mainstream" feature, but we might get it "for free" with a couple of things we have in the pipeline. Can you describe how you'd like it to function? You can't dial a SIP URI from your phone, so are you thinking like typing in a SIP URI in the Lounge and having it initiate a call? Or is this on the receiving side - you want to be able to dial your ooma via a SIP URI?

voipdabbler

Post by voipdabbler » Tue May 12, 2009 4:20 pm

Dennis,

Thanks for responding. I've got family spread out across the country and have a free IPKALL Washington state number for cousins living there to use to contact me (it's nice not to have to pay for a virtual number everywhere family is located). I'd like to be able to route my IPKALL number to my Ooma number, given how great Ooma's call quality is. (I've got an IP phone and a SPA 3102 on my network so right now I'm routing the IPKALL number to the IP phone; however, call quality isn't on the same level as my Ooma hub.) IPKALL numbers are routed via SIP dialing--you input your SIP userid and server address and IPKALL routes to calls to that SIP URI address. I occasionally call other VOIP users via SIP URI, however, the first use I'd love to see is the ability to route SIP calls to my Ooma number.

scoutconnor

Post by scoutconnor » Wed May 13, 2009 1:34 pm

Dennis P wrote:Not a "mainstream" feature, but we might get it "for free" with a couple of things we have in the pipeline. Can you describe how you'd like it to function? You can't dial a SIP URI from your phone, so are you thinking like typing in a SIP URI in the Lounge and having it initiate a call? Or is this on the receiving side - you want to be able to dial your ooma via a SIP URI?

I'd also like to see it where the ooma customer gets an SIP number assigned to them if requested and is able to insert it into Gizmo5 (or another SIP client) to be able to make free outgoing calls when we are away from home but have access to an internet connection (http://gizmo5.com/pc/)

ooma-fan

Post by ooma-fan » Wed May 13, 2009 4:08 pm

can't wait to see the "not a mainstream" feature, it should be considered as a big plus and will eventually make OOMA outperform those "mainstream" voip service providers
Lifetime Premier Member

aphotoguy

Post by aphotoguy » Fri May 15, 2009 10:44 am

Dennis P wrote:Not a "mainstream" feature, but we might get it "for free" with a couple of things we have in the pipeline. Can you describe how you'd like it to function? You can't dial a SIP URI from your phone, so are you thinking like typing in a SIP URI in the Lounge and having it initiate a call? Or is this on the receiving side - you want to be able to dial your ooma via a SIP URI?

I think that from the lounge to enter the address and select the line you would like to call from. Then that line will ring when answered a prompt would could be something like press 1 to connect to the SIP address .... or hang up ignore this request.