Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#103899 by gbcox
Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:21 pm
I just got off the phone with customer service, and had my call escalated to a manager named Aaron.

Here is the bottom line:

If you were one of the original Ooma customers who purchased a base unit in 2007 you're T&Cs are associated only with that unit. If it breaks or you decide to switch to the new Telo unit, you lose your grandfathered status.

When Ooma first released the Telo, I was going to upgrade and was confused about their T&Cs so I wrote a note and was told don't worry, we'll transfer your grandfathered plan to the new unit. I didn't switch at that time because I found out that the handsets didn't have a jack for a headset, and that was a show stopper for me. The HD2 handsets corrected that issue so I thought now I can finally get the new unit.

WRONG...
I was told today that the ability to transfer the grandfathered plans was a limited time offer which has since expired. If you decide to get Telo, you might as well be a new customer.

So now I'm shipping back my three HD2 handsets to Palo Alto, and returning my Telo base unit to Costco. Why would I start paying $120 / year for premier plus the taxes and fees?

I think Ooma couldn't have done a worse job in handling this. They should have been more up front in their initial advertising and subsequent releasing of their T&Cs. At a minimum they should have sent an email to their original customers saying enjoy the original base unit while you can, because once it breaks or needs to be replaced, you lose your lifetime premier.

BTW, "Lifetime Premier" is apparently "Lifetime OF THE EQUIPMENT" Premier, not your Lifetime. I obviously mis-understood when I thought it meant my lifetime.
Last edited by gbcox on Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#103900 by lbmofo
Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:26 pm
Whatever status you have, it is tied to the device & not you; similar thread: /viewtopic.php?t=14503

gbcox wrote:Why would I start paying $120 / year for premier plus the taxes and fees?

This depends on where you are coming from, for a service loaded with useful features, the deal would be awesome. Keep in mind, there are folks out there paying $400 a year for bare bones home phone service.
#103901 by gbcox
Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:37 pm
lbmofo wrote:Whatever status you have, it is tied to the device & not you; similar thread: /viewtopic.php?t=14503

gbcox wrote:Why would I start paying $120 / year for premier plus the taxes and fees?

This depends on where you are coming from, for a service loaded with useful features, the deal would be awesome. Keep in mind, there are folks out there paying $400 a year for bare bones home phone service.

These threads are talking about the standalone Ooma Premier service. I am one of the first customers who purchased the unit in 2007 before the service was even available. There was no concept of Ooma Premier at that time. It was only Ooma... and I purchased lifetime free phone service. Ooma Premier was created when the company changed and lowered the price of their base units and even for a time offered the ability to purchase a separate "lifetime" subscription.

A company should honor their commitments to their customers. Customers who purchased after the introduction of Ooma Premier joined under different circumstances.
#103903 by lbmofo
Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:02 pm
gbcox wrote:These threads are talking about the standalone Ooma Premier service.

The thread is talking about "Lifetime Premier." Standalone or not, came with hardware purchase or not, we are still talking about "Lifetime Premier" based on life of hardware and not life of owner.

gbcox wrote:A company should honor their commitments to their customers.

Ooma is. Unless your hardware breaks, whatever service you get now will continue.
#103904 by gbcox
Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:16 pm
The thread is talking about Lifetime Premier. What you are missing is the fact that when I signed up, Lifetime Premier did not exist. The original T&Cs in 2007 did not cover it. It was a construct invented by Ooma when they changed their business model. When I purchased Ooma, their business model was not to charge subscription fees. I have an email from Ooma saying their would honor my status and transfer it to the Telo equipment. They are now saying that was limited offer, but their response doesn't say that, nor does it even imply that.
#103907 by lbmofo
Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:06 pm
gbcox, don't get me wrong, I'd like it just as much as the next guy if Core and Lifetime Premier (and whatever status you have) can be transferred to newer model Ooma equipment indefinitely. However, that's not the case.

Dennis P wrote:Let me clarify (hopefully) a few things regarding the Lifetime plan:

* It extends your warranty to three years. This way you get at least 3 years of service on your investment (if you bought the plan at the same time as the hardware). The warranty only covers the original hardware that the plan was bought under.

* It is tied to the hardware. If your hardware fails after 3 years, we'll be happy to transfer it to another device of the same model. You cannot, however, transfer the plan to a different model of hardware UNLESS explicitly allowed by an upgrade plan (like what we did for Hub owners when we introduced Telo).

* It will be available for purchase at least through the end of the year. We don't plan to keep it around indefinitely.

* Users who are currently in a Premier subscription cannot purchase additional years or upgrade to Lifetime today, but will be able to do so in the near future. We will post in the forums when this function is available.

If anyone has bought the lifetime plan in the past few days based on any mis-information here or from our customer service agents, we'll gladly refund your money. Just PM me and I'll take care of you.

Bobby B wrote:As a promotion, we used to allow Hub to Telo upgrades without the additional taxes or fees (as the original blog post mentioned in October 2009). Unfortunately, this Telo upgrade program expired earlier this year. Any Hub to Telo upgrades going forward will include the monthly taxes and fees.

Not sure what your Ooma device box says but my box says: "The one-time purchase of an ooma system includes unlimited US calling, caller-ID, call-waiting, and voicemail for the life of the ooma Hub device."
#103919 by gbcox
Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:48 pm
I purchased my equipment in September 2007 - all the posts shown reflect the new Premier service which was offered afterword. Regardless of all of this when Ooma started tweaking with their T&Cs back in 2009 I sent them an email for clarification. I was told not to worry, I would be grandfathered when I switched equipment since I was a charter customer. Now they are saying that was a time-limited offer - although the email doesn't say anything about any limitations.

The purpose of my post was just to let all charter customers know Ooma isn't honoring their agreement to those customers. I'll use my equipment until it dies, then decide whether or not to stay with Ooma or switch to a bundled plan with cable, uverse, etc.
#103925 by lbmofo
Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:45 pm
If your hardware fails, from the 2 postings I referenced, seems you can transfer your account to another Hub as long as it is new.

BTW,
gbcox wrote:or switch to a bundled plan with cable, uverse, etc.

This wouldn't be cost effective even if one has to pay monthly RRF and Premier.
#103973 by gbcox
Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:01 pm
lbmofo wrote:If your hardware fails, from the 2 postings I referenced, seems you can transfer your account to another Hub as long as it is new.

BTW,
gbcox wrote:or switch to a bundled plan with cable, uverse, etc.

This wouldn't be cost effective even if one has to pay monthly RRF and Premier.

Based upon my communication with them I wouldn't count on that at all. I'm one of those who received this email on April 24, 2008: ...As an early ooma customer, we’ve automatically enrolled you in ooma Premier for Life. This means you’ll get all the following enhanced features free of charge:...

Apparently ooma got too cute with their marketing semantics... nothing in the literature I received when I purchased in 2007 nor the email quoted above had an asterisk which said "Life of the equipment".

Extremely lame and intentionally misleading.
#121593 by TechExplorer
Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:53 am
I have the telo system with lifetime and after chat session with Ooma rep. because my base telo unit has failed on phone jack out, i asked if i replace unit with new will my lifetime subscription transfer as it is now ( no monthly taxes, etc ) and the ooma rep said no i would have to update my account and in doing so taxes would be required. I'm very surprised and disappointed in Ooma at this point because not living up to original terms of service with account ,supposed to be lifetime on account not hardware / unit.
Date : 07/26/2014