Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#103623 by PKR
Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:14 pm
On several occasions during the past couple of weeks I've noticed that my internet speed drops ... pages load very slowly, for example. I'm concerned that with the Ooma positioned first after the cable modem it might interfere with distribution throughout the balance of my network. And by the way, I've restarted the Ooma on 3 of these occasions and found that page loads are soon back to their usual speed.
Ooma seems to be working just fine otherwise ...
#103627 by thunderbird
Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:30 pm
PKR wrote:On several occasions during the past couple of weeks I've noticed that my internet speed drops ... pages load very slowly, for example. I'm concerned that with the Ooma positioned first after the cable modem it might interfere with distribution throughout the balance of my network. And by the way, I've restarted the Ooma on 3 of these occasions and found that page loads are soon back to their usual speed.
Ooma seems to be working just fine otherwise ...

See topic: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14868
#103716 by PKR
Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:30 pm
Well, unfortunately that did not work. Leaving me to suspect that the problem is with the Ooma itself. I'm again on the verge of giving up on Ooma ... it has been one thing after another to the point where I have to wonder if its worth the hassle. Anyone care to talk me out of it ?
#103717 by lbmofo
Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:40 pm
After you done what thunderbird suggested, make sure you reboot everthing from modem, ooma, router. Even the computer that you setup your Ooma with.

If you still find issues with your internet slowing down, connect your Ooma to your router. Don't need to have it between the modem and the router; without doing anything to your Ooma, it should work fine and your internet should be as it worked before.

Also, if you are using one of the older 2.4 GHz or 5.8 GHz cordless phone, need to upgrade to newer DECT 6 phone system since DECT 6 would not interfere with your router.

"Optimal Setup" posts for your reference

If after Router - viewtopic.php?t=12403

If before Router - viewtopic.php?t=9536#p66155
#103719 by thunderbird
Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:11 pm
PKR wrote:Well, unfortunately that did not work. Leaving me to suspect that the problem is with the Ooma itself. I'm again on the verge of giving up on Ooma ... it has been one thing after another to the point where I have to wonder if its worth the hassle. Anyone care to talk me out of it ?

Connecting Modem-Router-Ooma should eliminate the Ooma Telo from pulling down your Home's LAN. In this case the Ooma Telo Internet port is connected with a network cable to one of the Router LAN ports. Nothing is connected to the Ooma Telo Home port, except to temporarily connect a computer to access Ooma Setup, if change/adjustments are required.
#103733 by PKR
Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:59 am
This is exactly how I connected my Ooma in the first place, but Ooma strongly advised me to set it up Modem - Ooma - Router. I'll give it a try and report back.
#103734 by WayneDsr
Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:29 am
PKR wrote:This is exactly how I connected my Ooma in the first place, but Ooma strongly advised me to set it up Modem - Ooma - Router. I'll give it a try and report back.

I have an ooma Hub and a Telo connected this way and it never slows the internet down, even when a call is placed.

Wayne