Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#103448 by EX Bell
Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:25 pm
Anyone have any real-world test results with faxing using the new Linx adapter?
Did it solve your issues with both sending and receiving facsimiles? If no one has tested this, could you please test sending multiple pages to either a friend's fax machine or faxtoy.net ? If possible, please ask someone to send you a multi-page fax and let us know if it was received successfully.

Ideally, I would like to hear from someone with a Linx adapter who previously could not reliably send or receive multi-page facsimiles, regardless of which dialing prefix was used.
#103452 by thunderbird
Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:24 pm
I have faxed using the Ooma Linx Phone Port Extender.

I was able to fax without any prefix and after some Ooma adjustments, it worked every time.

Ooma has lately improved the fax capability, so faxing with or without the Linx device works without a prefix for most people.

Disclaimer: If the Internet connection is poor with a lot of "noise", faxing will be difficult.

The HP fax test number is 1-888-473-2963. All that has to be done is send a blank sheet of paper to this number. Usually within five minutes, a return fax is received.
#103506 by Jerald
Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:16 pm
EX Bell wrote:Anyone have any real-world test results with faxing using the new Linx adapter?
Did it solve your issues with both sending and receiving facsimiles? If no one has tested this, could you please test sending multiple pages to either a friend's fax machine or faxtoy.net ? If possible, please ask someone to send you a multi-page fax and let us know if it was received successfully.

Ideally, I would like to hear from someone with a Linx adapter who previously could not reliably send or receive multi-page facsimiles, regardless of which dialing prefix was used.

I purchased a Linx and have used my Brother Fax MFC-J835DW twice now with no errors. I dialed direct and no *99 or *88 what ever worked before. I have not checked hooking my Fax direct to the Telo as I have in the past. There may have been a update to the Telo that went un-noticed.
#104020 by EX Bell
Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:56 am
Thanks for the feedback. Just got around to testing this myself with my fax connected to the Telo. I can confirm that Ooma seems to have figured it out, although I'm not 100% sure yet.

I faxed a five page document to faxtoy.net twice and both times all five pages sent without error. This was previously not possible with either my current or previous multi-function fax. However, in the past I have been able to send two pages to faxtoy.net and they both appeared. When I try it now, I only get the last page in my fax transmission, not the others. This happens whether two pages or five pages are sent, but there is no error, so my assumption is the pages are being transmitted properly and the issue is with faxtoy. Oddly, if I set the Telo mode to "Fax Machine" in the Phone Number Preferences of my.ooma.com, then every fax will fail at the second page with a communication error. As soon as I set the mode back to "Phone", the faxes send again, but I still don't see multiple pages coming through on faxtoy.net

I also tested using the HP fax back service and that worked as well. I have never been able to receive faxes with Ooma before, so this is a very good result. All these tests were done with direct connection to the Telo. I have just ordered a Linx Adapter and expect it to arrive in the next few days. I'll post an update once I've tested.

For the record:

No dialing prefix was used or is required any longer. In fact, even a single page now fails if I try to use the dialing prefix. This makes faxing much simpler.

When faxing, Ooma automatically disabled call waiting, so an incoming call I received during my test did not interrupt my fax transmission, but instead went right to voicemail.

My previous fax machine was Samsung SCX-4521F multi-function. My current fax machine is an Epson Workforce 845 multi-function. Both units appear to send facsimiles without error and receive them without error.
#104101 by thunderbird
Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:54 pm
Quote: "As soon as I set the mode back to "Phone", the faxes send again, but I still don't see multiple pages coming through on faxtoy.net ". I haven't tried this yet but will later.

Later in the evening: I tried the HP fax number using the Ooma Telo Phone port, then the Linx adpater, both with the My Ooma phone setting and with the My Ooma Fax setting, and nothing worked. Right now everything seems to be really messed up. I either got busy signals, or I could hear the ring on the line, then get the Ooma dial tone, or just dial tone, then maybe a busy signal again, while still hearing the beep, beep sounds. Before, up until this point, everything concerning the Fax had worked so well for me.

I will try again tomorrow.

After you receive and install your Ooma Linx, be sure to go to https://my.ooma.com/phone_numbers and Click on Setup Device for the Linx.

There is now a Fax setting included in the pull down menu for the Linx.

Several ways to set this up, the following is one way:
If you have Ooma premier with the second number, you can click on Add private account, move one of the phone numbers into that account, move the Linx device into that account, and then when your receive or send faxes, only the phone number will be used.
#104109 by Tom
Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:19 am
Oddly, if I set the Telo mode to "Fax Machine" in the Phone Number Preferences of my.ooma.com, then every fax will fail. As soon as I set the mode back to "Phone", the faxes send again.

even a single page now fails if I try to use the dialing prefix

These two results seem to be in conflict because in either mode (setting Fax mode or using *99)
G.711 is negotiated at the start of the call without requiring a codec renegotiation once a faxtone
is detected. Please try to duplicate. After making a config change on MyOoma dial *#*#298 on the
phone port to push the update quickly so you know you're testing with the latest config.
#104115 by EX Bell
Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:57 pm
Tested Telo again in "Fax machine" mode and used *#*#298 as suggested to push the update quickly. Gives a busy signal so I don't know if that's working or not, but the fax did send successfully this time with the Telo in "Fax machine" mode. Same result as before, no error on my fax machine, but only last page shows up on faxtoy.net. Set the telo back to "Phone" mode and tested again. Same result, all sent OK, only last page on faxtoy.net

Also tried *99 and *98 prefixes with the Telo in "Phone" mode, but facsimiles still fail when these are used. I'm fine with that, because it seems to send just fine through the Telo without the prefix.

Received the Linx adapter today. I like it a lot as an adapter to access instant second line and it works great with private accounts and distinctive ring, but unfortunately it's not a solution for faxing with my Epson Workforce 845. Maybe another fax machine would work better, but in multiple tests, facsimiles failed with the Linx adapter only 15ft and one wall thickness (lathe and plaster) away. Fails in "Fax machine" mode, fails in "Phone" mode, fails in "Phone" mode with a *99 prefix and *98 doesn't seem to work at all with the Linx adapter (gives a busy signal before the fax number is finished dialing). Just too much noise on a Linx connection for my nit-picky fax machine I guess. Disappointing since I was hoping my clients would have a trouble-free solution for their fax machines, but it looks like direct connection to the Telo may be required, depending on the fax machine. I'll have to run tests and decide on a case by case bases what will work.

Would be good to have this resolved if possible, but I'm pleased that at least direct Fax to Telo connection without a dialing prefix is finally working well.

Telo firmware is 63430
#104117 by Tom
Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:27 pm
Getting fastbusy after dialing *#*#298 is normal. After dialing this code (or doing 'Sync Config' from an
Ooma handset) wait like 20 sec before resuming testing because the telo needs time to contact the
data center and download the updated config.

The code *98 should not be used for fax.

We're trying to duplicate reports of some customers having trouble faxing with Linx.
#104118 by thunderbird
Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:29 pm
EX Bell:
I just tested again with my fax setup.

I don't use any prefix when dialing.

I could fax and receive the fax using a direct phone line to the Ooma Telo phone port or through the Linx device.

I could fax either way, with the My Ooma fax setting selected for the Linx device, set to phone, and the My Ooma, Linx device, set to Fax.

I could fax either way, with the My Ooma Fax setting selected for the Ooma Telo, set to phone, and the My Ooma, Ooma Telo Setting set to Fax.

The way you can tell if the Ooma Telo or the Linx device is in the Fax mode is to connect a phone to the line that is going to the fix. I have an extra port on the fax for this purpose. When you just hear a regular dial tone, and not the Ooma dial tone, you are in the fax mode. Even with the *#*#298 it took a long time to change over. Yes you only hear a busy signal. At one time Tom said that this would be changed so you'd know if *#*#298 took effect, but it never happened.

I had no failures using the Ooma Linx with any combination of settings.

I had one failure each, going directly to the Ooma phone port, with the setting of Phone, and the setting of Fax in My Ooma.
#104122 by EX Bell
Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:22 pm
Tom B wrote:Getting fastbusy after dialing *#*#298 is normal. After dialing this code (or doing 'Sync Config' from an
Ooma handset) wait like 20 sec before resuming testing because the telo needs time to contact the
data center and download the updated config.

The code *98 should not be used for fax.

We're trying to duplicate reports of some customers having trouble faxing with Linx.

I tried several times over a 30 minute period. Nothing worked with my fax machine and the Linx adapter.
Epson Workforce 845 is a current model. Maybe someone at Ooma could accuire one to test or maybe another user with the same model and a Linx adapter could test.

When my Telo was on v52474 and I had a Samsung SCX-4521F, *98 was the only thing that gave me any level of consistency in sending faxes. *99 has always been either very unstable and inconsistent for me or just hasn't worked at all. If "G.711 is negotiated at the start of the call without requiring a codec renegotiation once a faxtone is detected", then what's the difference between that and forcing G.711 with the *98 prefix?