Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#8900 by levelbest
Sat May 02, 2009 11:00 am
Curious as a new Ooma user and a current vonage subscriber as well for my business line here at home.

If I port my business line to ooma, will the second line ring on line 2? Or will calls come in on the first line? Trying to figure out whether it would be best to just get a second Ooma unit to keep the lines seperate or whether the current setup can handle it.

Also, I have an 888 number thru vonage - and am trying to figure the best way to handle that since ooma doesn't offer the service. That is one nice thing vonage has for only an additional $5 a month.

Looking forward to your suggestions.
#8912 by murphy
Sat May 02, 2009 12:44 pm
The first call to ooma comes in on the first line. A call only comes in on the second line when the first line is busy.
#8914 by levelbest
Sat May 02, 2009 12:57 pm
murphy wrote:The first call to ooma comes in on the first line. A call only comes in on the second line when the first line is busy.

So, that would make it extremely difficult to answer a business line properly then.
#8915 by WayneDsr
Sat May 02, 2009 1:00 pm
Or you could assign one number to the Scout only. It still would ring on line 1, but only ring in on the scout.

Wayne
#9106 by oomg
Tue May 05, 2009 6:45 am
WayneDsr wrote:Or you could assign one number to the Scout only. It still would ring on line 1, but only ring in on the scout.

Wayne

Once again, Wayne nails the right answer (Who is Wayne DSR -- see the thread).

With ooma, you need to remember to distinguish between two lines and two numbers (or more numbers if you elect). You can assign a number to a Scout... you cannot assign a line (but this is actually a good thing, at least for my purposes).

Here is an abbreviated description of my current home/home office set up: Hub at my desk (wired directly from modem to "Modem" port on the Hub); Family number ported to the primary ooma number with a cordless base station connected to the Hub; Wall port from the back of the HUb to a Scout which is also at my desk; Second ooma number is assigned to the Scout (I use an ooma number here, but this could be your ported business number). Not to confuse you, but I also have another Scout in another room to which a second cordless system is connected, (and I also have other lines available to make outgoing calls if needed, but this may not be necessary for you).

Now with the two segregated cordless systems, other family members can make separate calls over the same ooma number... hard to believe but it works. However, if this happens, both lines (1 and 2) are in use. Thus, I would not be able to call out through my ooma Scout at that time. At the same time, even if both ooma lines are being used by others (a relatively rare circimstance that usually occurs only after business hours), my Scout to which my business calls are routed will still pick up any message that comes in.

Now, to make it simpler, you could do something similar, by assigning your business number to the Scout. If the family number is connected to a single cordless system, they would only be able to use one ooma line at any given time, and thus, your business number would always have an ooma line available. If your other family members are away during your business hours (and thus, little chance they will be using either line), you can be on your business number (assigned to the Scout) and still receive a second business call on ooma line 2. It takes a little while to get used to it, but it does work.

As for 888 number, there are a number of providers that offer relatively inexpensive service; some are flat rate while others charge a minumum rate pluse a small usage fee. I just picked up a number from toktumi (toktumi.com) at a flat rate of $15 per month. It has a number of neat features that make it worth the extra few dollars. I don't know if you could port your current 888 number from Vonage, but worth investigating.
#9110 by jtykal
Tue May 05, 2009 7:19 am
I have a similar situation. I currently have separate phone lines for home/business. I'm porting both numbers to ooma. I'd like to set up the hub to ring BOTH numbers (so I can answer home calls from my office) and set up a scout to ring just the home number (so the family isn't bothered with my business calls). Is this possible?
#9115 by Pandora
Tue May 05, 2009 9:44 am
Ooma is a residential, not a business service. If you make a lot of calls for your business, it may not be appropriate for Ooma.

That said, it may be easier to just get a 2nd Ooma hub.

I have 2 Ooma hubs in my home, and both have active Ooma phone numbers. They are installed behind my router, and work just fine.

Currently I have ported one phone number to Ooma, and it is on line 2 of my home network. In a few month, I intend to port my current landline to Ooma and it will be on line 1.

Another issue to consider for business use, is stability. It is possible that Ooma may go out of business. If it does, can your business survive being without a working phone number for 3-8 weeks? If it can, fine, if it can't, Ooma may not be for you.
#9150 by oomg
Tue May 05, 2009 5:05 pm
jtykal wrote:I have a similar situation. I currently have separate phone lines for home/business. I'm porting both numbers to ooma. I'd like to set up the hub to ring BOTH numbers (so I can answer home calls from my office) and set up a scout to ring just the home number (so the family isn't bothered with my business calls). Is this possible?

If you assign either number to a Scout (whether home or office) it will only ring on the Scout. If I understand the system correctly, if you do not assign a number to a Scout, both numbers will ring on any phone unit (assuming that the unit ringer is not turned off). However, you should be able to set a distinctive ring for your office number.

Like Wayne DSR, I have the Hub at my home office desk connected to a cordless phone base unit, and also have a Scout which is assigned to the second number. I can answer both from my desk. It may be easier to port the business number to the Scout, thereby allowing your home number to be distributed to other areas of the home if you want. This also allows you to segregate your voicemail into separate home and business storage and allows for separate outgoing messages for incoming callers.
#9162 by jtykal
Tue May 05, 2009 9:46 pm
Assigning one of my two numbers to a private device effectively makes the remaining number private on the other device. So, one number rings on the hub and the other number rings on the scout. Not my ideal situation, but OK. Similar to the other contributors to this thread, I found a workable solution.

I have both the hub and scout sitting in my office. I made my hub a "private" device and assigned my home phone number to it. I use a splitter to connect LINE1 of my 2-line office phone and my base unit for the family's wireless handsets to the "PHONE" port of the hub. The scout is a "shared device", but effectively becomes private for my business number. I have the "PHONE" port of the scout plugged into LINE2 of my 2-line phone.

So, from my office I can tell whether an incoming call is on the home number or the business number by checking the lights on the hub/scout and/or looking to see which line of my 2-line phone is ringing. Business calls ring only on LINE2 of my office phone, while calls to the home number ring LINE1 of my office phone and the house wireless handsets.

I'm a happy camper.