Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#101806 by Raptor
Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:29 pm
It would be great if we could turn off the DHCP server in the Ooma Telo, and have it function as a simple bridge, such that an ISP's gateway (modem/router combo) can issue IPs to computers connected behind the Home port. This would prevent a double NAT situation, and allow UPNP/NAT-PMP to function as it should, yet still allow the Telo to control QOS during a call.
#109070 by DaveGadgeteer
Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:34 pm
Exactly what I need.
I have a Comcast modem (the Arris TG862G/CT router they provided won't work reliably when it is put in Bridge Mode (which can only be done by Comcast techs, remotely), and locks up solid after an hour or two, a known bug, so I bought my own telecom / internet modem, Arris 722 to avoid that problem).
My router is an Airport Extreme, in a complicated setup with lots of port forwarding and reserved DHCP addresses, and with two other Apple access points downstream.
I can't use my setup with the Airport Extreme set to bridge mode.

I'd love to put my Telo between the modem and my router, but since the Telo doesn't have a Bridge mode, I don't dare do it. I don't know if the trick of making the DHCP have only 1 IP address is really a good enough solution, for example--won't that prevent the Airport Extreme from finding out its true Internet IP address, since it always sees that Telo DHCP IP address?
I use a dynamic DNS service to allow accessing my setup from remote locations, and my Mac has to update dyndns when my IP address changes...
#109082 by thunderbird
Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:27 am
DaveGadgeteer wrote:Exactly what I need.
I have a Comcast modem (the Arris TG862G/CT router they provided won't work reliably when it is put in Bridge Mode (which can only be done by Comcast techs, remotely), and locks up solid after an hour or two, a known bug, so I bought my own telecom / internet modem, Arris 722 to avoid that problem).
My router is an Airport Extreme, in a complicated setup with lots of port forwarding and reserved DHCP addresses, and with two other Apple access points downstream.
I can't use my setup with the Airport Extreme set to bridge mode.

I'd love to put my Telo between the modem and my router, but since the Telo doesn't have a Bridge mode, I don't dare do it. I don't know if the trick of making the DHCP have only 1 IP address is really a good enough solution, for example--won't that prevent the Airport Extreme from finding out its true Internet IP address, since it always sees that Telo DHCP IP address?
I use a dynamic DNS service to allow accessing my setup from remote locations, and my Mac has to update dyndns when my IP address changes...

It sounds like you may be mixing "apples and oranges" confusing the Ooma Telo Internet Port and Network port functions.

If you want the Ooma Telo Home Network to Issue just one IP address, access Ooma Setup and click on the Home Network tab. Under DHCP Configuration: set the Start Address: and the End Address:, both to the same IP address. Example: 172.27.35.20 for Start Address and 172.27.35.20 for End Address. Then only 172.27.35.20 will be issued for the Home port.

If you want the Ooma Telo to Receive only one IP address, access Ooma Setup and click on the Internet tab. Following the words Connection type: click on the Down arrow and select Static IP address. The go down to Static IP Address Options: and fill in the blanks.

IP Address: is obtained from the router is positioned just ahead of the Ooma Telo. (When the Ooma Telo is up and running connected in the way you want it connected (probably Modem/Router-Ooma-Router), you can click on the Ooma Setup>Status tab and use the IP address shown to the right of TO INTERNET port:.

Netmask: is usually 255.255.255.0

DNS Server 1: & Router Address: is the same IP number as the IP number used for IP Address: above, except the number in the last block of number is .1 Example xxx.xxx.xxx.1

DNS Server 2: Isn't used.

Using Ooma Static IP address Connection, only the configured IP address will load, so you will always have the same IP address from the Router, for the Ooma Telo Internet port.

Note: most routers can be set to Issue a permanent IP address to the Ooma Telo also, but some Modem/Router don't have the capability.

Also go to thread viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13634 and see what EX Bell has to say about 2 wire rigs.