Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#101648 by tbeltz
Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:21 pm
I just found out that if a service is not hooked up and on-line for 6 months it is considered Abandoned by Ooma. This works against those who are using their Units at Seasonal Locations. My own unit is not a problem because I take it back and fourth which is fine. The problem exists in some of my rental units where I provide Ooma and those Units are only on line during a 3 or 4 month season. So I can expect that they will be determined abandoned even though I am willing to pay the monthly fees to keep them at an active status. (It is not possible for me to go get them and put them on-line, I am across the country from them) When my renters leave I will be turning off the internet as no need to continue paying for that when it is not being used for 8 or 9 months and to keep it active just for Ooma seems rediculous and certainly destroys the cost savings that Ooma provides. Big disappointment in this regard and makes MJ+ look a lot better in this regard. All I want to do is keep Ooma, pay the monthly fees for the 12 months and stop you from considering it abandoned. (Would be willing to sign up for the service yearly if this would stop it) Why consider it abandoned if someone is paying the monthly fees? I can certainly understand it if they are not paying.......but your existing policy seems as though you are considering everyone abandoned if the Unit is off line?? Can something be done to accomodiate the seasonal users?? Can the account simply be flagged somehow as a seasonal account to prevent it being cancelled?
#101667 by Leeway
Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:16 pm
What about calling those numbers a couple of times in the 'off' months. They'd go to answering the same as if internet service was down. Does the answering & recording of calls count for being active or does Ooma consider active only when the Telo is actually online and functioning?
#101673 by murphy
Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:37 am
If you don't visit your rental properties who maintains them?
Have them ship the units to you at the end of the season and ship them back at the beginning of the next season.
#101686 by lbmofo
Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:25 am
I think that 6 month offline deactivate policy was mainly for the Core. If monthly taxes are paid, may not have to worry about being deactivated. May want to verify with Ooma customer service.
#101705 by tbeltz
Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:39 am
Leeway wrote:What about calling those numbers a couple of times in the 'off' months. They'd go to answering the same as if internet service was down. Does the answering & recording of calls count for being active or does Ooma consider active only when the Telo is actually online and functioning?

Checked with Support. They say they have to be internet connected??
#101706 by tbeltz
Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:43 am
lbmofo wrote:I think that 6 month offline deactivate policy was mainly for the Core. If monthly taxes are paid, may not have to worry about being deactivated. May want to verify with Ooma customer service.

Apparently not. Suport says it is part of the service agreement. Don't understand what difference it would make if the bill is being paid. If the bill is being paid then obviously they are not abandoned??? I just don't want to have to pay for internet at these locations when noone is living there, but would just leave the Ooma's there and they should fire back up when the internet is fired back up.
#101707 by tbeltz
Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:49 am
murphy wrote:If you don't visit your rental properties who maintains them?
Have them ship the units to you at the end of the season and ship them back at the beginning of the next season.

The properties ar basically shut down when not in use. I have someone who makes a round to do a walk through but nothing else unless there is a issue.

Shipping could work but would be a pain to some people and some people would simply say they do not want to bother with it....I don't think I would want to mess with it. Normally abandoned would mean when the person is no longer paying for the service........usage or being on line should notreally be of concern. I would even be willing to pay for the service by the year. If the unit is paid for a year in advance then why would they even consider it abandoned and take the number??
#101760 by thunderbird
Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:37 pm
I wonder if there is a legal issue here?

If there is no defualt of payments for the Ooma services, then weather used or not for a period of time, the serivce still isn't abandoned???

This doesn't make good business sence.
#101762 by tbeltz
Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:21 am
thunderbird wrote:I wonder if there is a legal issue here?

If there is no defualt of payments for the Ooma services, then weather used or not for a period of time, the serivce still isn't abandoned???

This doesn't make good business sence.

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You. It does not make sense to me either. What they are saying is even if I have it paid for by the year in advance......if it is not on-line and connected to the internet for 6 months then it will be considered abandoned and the number can be reused???? Totally illogical thinking to me. If the bill is being paid then it should never be considered abandoned. Is anyone at Ooma reading or following this thread? Can someone there share your logic with us, or give us a simple way around this. I can't believe the agreement meant for the abandon to include those who are continuing to pay to keep the account active. If you take my money for a year then declare the service abandoned in 6 months, is there a refund coming?? Will you then buy back the equipment due to your unrealistic policy?? Think this one over, please.
#101765 by Leeway
Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:04 am
tbelts, Would Ooma allow you to pay in advance for a year? Maybe that's why they keep some of the payments to monthly. But, I agree it isn't right if you can pay ahead or even on a contiuous monthly basis and be cut off. You are paying for a service!!

Donna