Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#8759 by bryanlyle
Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:16 pm
It wasn't that long ago that I would have $200 dollar phone bills (a month) talking to my wife (girlfriend at the time). Times sure have changed :-)
#8762 by southsound
Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:09 pm
bryanlyle wrote:It wasn't that long ago that I would have $200 dollar phone bills (a month) talking to my wife (girlfriend at the time). Times sure have changed :-)

I remember similar bills. Back in 1991 I was offered a position with Microsoft in Redmond, WA, but we had a home in California to sell and two kids in high school. The oldest was a senior and it was not possible to rip him from all his friends without major problems, so for 11 months, my wife and I lived 700 miles apart. Besides the occasional "I can't stand it anymore" straight through trips to spend a few hours of a weekend together, we existed by making many long phone calls. Like bryanlyle, our bills were HUGE. In fact, MCI had a bronze plaque made for their headquarters commemorating our contribution to their (at the time) financial success. Thank you ooma for helping your customers save money in this time that is difficult for most of us!
#8769 by ooma-fan
Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:38 pm
"Ooma, a similar VoIP service, charges a one-time $250 fee for its hardware, with no monthly charge".

Vantage has been giving out pretty deep discounts to new customers who signed up with one year contract, why wouldn't ooma officially drops its price to $199 as some online retails offer?

The price war would never end and will hurt everyone including end-users, to keep new customer growing and to reward existing customer loyalty, eventually it'd depend on ooma servers/clients reliability and value-add services.

We look forward to seeing " "Ooma, a distinguished VoIP service, charges a one-time $199 fee for its hardware, with no monthly charge".

Actually with the unique peer-to-peer ooma network building up, ooma's potential may go far beyond VoIP.