Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#8642 by msigno
Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:17 pm
Hi I am a new customer and summitted a detailed technical question but have received no response. On the phone a technical representive suggested that my bandwidth may be on the cusp of success. I performed speed check and it read 210. Though two troubleshooting pages have conflicting information (one said to set bandwidth to speed result and the other said 15-20 percent below), I stuck with the 15 percent below recommendation and set to 178. What drove me to make the adjustment was experience of echo, disconnect of phone call when connecting computer on line. Any ooma tech support is appreciated. Mainly does my DSL speed limit my quality of service using ooma. I am still within my 30 days to return and want to know if I can resolve. Thanks
#8644 by Pandora
Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:08 pm
You'll really want to talk to Bobby or Dennis (both are Ooma employees who appear regularly on this forum).

My guess as someone who has used a couple of Ooma hubs for a while is your bandwidth should work. There are other things besides bandwidth that can affect your VOIP phone experience.

If you do a lot of torrents, or move a lot of files during calls, it could cause problems.

Another problem could be installing an Ooma hub on the same phone line as your DSL uses. If for example your Ooma hub is on your DSL line there could be interference between the HPNA network the Ooma hub uses to talk to the scout(s) and your DSL.
#8645 by WayneDsr
Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:24 pm
If your installation is
modem--> ooma hub--> router

Connect to setup.ooma.com and change the upload Quality of Service to "0" and see if it improves.

Also if you could go to http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html
and post your results, that could help us figure something out.
Like Pandora said, there's many things that can effect your quality.

Wayne
#8719 by whn
Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:18 pm
can u tell me if this is good or bad

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 5.0 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 8.2 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.1 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.6 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 3.7

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 732040 bps
Upload speed: 122256 bps
Download quality of service: 98 %
Upload quality of service: 96 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 194 ms
Average download pause: 18 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 19 ms
Average round trip time to server: 29 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 732040bps
Route concurrency: 1.0
Download TCP forced idle: 0 %
Maximum route speed: 27593680bps
#8727 by bw1
Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:53 am
Your jitter and packet loss could result in some breaking up in your calls. But your upload and download QOS are excellent. I'm not sure how they derive that. My download QOS is only 34% but my jitter is only around 3-4 ms and my packet loss is 0%. My call quality is typically excellent.

A bigger concern is your upload speed of only 122 Kbps. Ooma recommends a minimum of 256 K upload speed.