Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#100634 by lroux
Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:12 am
There was a power outage and now the ooma stopped working. The Ooma symbol is not lit but the 1 and 2 are. None of the buttons do anything. Tried unplugging and letting sit but no go. The internet connector has a solid green light and a flashing yellow one. Confirmed Internet is working fine as I am able to send this and no red ooma symbol.

Could the device have gotten fried?
#100640 by lroux
Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:24 pm
OK, After a search of the web it appears that this is common and the device is bricked. I'll just go ahead and cancel my Ooma account. Not worth purchasing another piece of hardware that will fail as soon as it goes out of warranty.
#100644 by thunderbird
Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:33 pm
lroux wrote:There was a power outage and now the ooma stopped working. The Ooma symbol is not lit but the 1 and 2 are. None of the buttons do anything. Tried unplugging and letting sit but no go. The internet connector has a solid green light and a flashing yellow one. Confirmed Internet is working fine as I am able to send this and no red ooma symbol.

Could the device have gotten fried?

Remove power from the Ooma Telo. Remove all Internet, phone and USB cables. Repower the Ooma Telo. Some times this will help get past the Line 1 and Line 2 blue lights. If it boots to the Red flashing Ooma symbol, you should be okay.

If that doesn't help, if your Ooma Telo is within the one year warranty period, Ooma will send you a replacement Ooma Telo shipping prepaid, along with a prepaid shipping label for returning the defective Ooma Telo.

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST
#100646 by lroux
Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:40 pm
Nope, no good. No red Ooma symbol. Just the 1 and 2.

Just checked and I registered my device on October 1. Whoo hoo! Still under warranty (but just...)
#100823 by lroux
Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:44 pm
How long does it usually take to get a replacement box? I guess I am used to phone downtime of at most a few hours, not a week or more? Support said they would notify me when the replacement is shipped 4 days ago and I still have not heard anything.
#100828 by thunderbird
Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:37 pm
lroux wrote:How long does it usually take to get a replacement box? I guess I am used to phone downtime of at most a few hours, not a week or more? Support said they would notify me when the replacement is shipped 4 days ago and I still have not heard anything.

Give support a call and find out where your replacement Ooma Telo is.
#100864 by lroux
Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:08 am
OK, I guess it will arrive Oct 2. 8 days downtime from when I called (if it arrives then). I guess you get what you pay for and I shouldnt be so critical. That's how they offer cheap service with cheap hardware and cheap support (not being critical, just that is the way it is). The big carriers have to pay for enormous staffs and so they have to charge more. Part of the trade off and it is a matter of managing expectations.

On the plus side Ooma offers call forwarding (unlike my current carrier) so when the box is down the service is technically still partially active in that I can still receive calls on my cell even if the Ooma device is down and the house phones are dead.

Still torn if I could Ooma to say, my parents and friends, but we'll see if the replacement box (probably going to be a refurb, I would guess) lasts longer.
#100868 by thunderbird
Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:31 am
lroux wrote:OK, I guess it will arrive Oct 2. 8 days downtime from when I called (if it arrives then). I guess you get what you pay for and I shouldnt be so critical. That's how they offer cheap service with cheap hardware and cheap support (not being critical, just that is the way it is). The big carriers have to pay for enormous staffs and so they have to charge more. Part of the trade off and it is a matter of managing expectations.

On the plus side Ooma offers call forwarding (unlike my current carrier) so when the box is down the service is technically still partially active in that I can still receive calls on my cell even if the Ooma device is down and the house phones are dead.

Still torn if I could Ooma to say, my parents and friends, but we'll see if the replacement box (probably going to be a refurb, I would guess) lasts longer.

While you are waiting for the replacement Ooma Telo, it would be a good idea to purchase a good power Surge protector strip, and always keep the Ooma Telo pulgged into the surger protector. That is the one weakness of the Ooma devices, power surges and the failures that follow.
#100876 by lroux
Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:23 pm
Unfortunately, it was already plugged into a good one. Everything else on the strip was fine. Oh well. Maybe I need to plug the surge protector strip into another one <grin>
#101103 by NelsonJ
Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:56 pm
I am currently with a telo that only lights L1 & L2 and will not finish booting. My power was shut off by electric utility to trim trees. When power was restored, this problem occured. Have tried all series of reboots and nothing works. Why would a unit not reboot after power being turned back on? This can happen often during storms, etc. Out of warranty on 6-20-2212, of course. Any ideas?