Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#100383 by rmt
Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:14 am
From http://www.ooma.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12753, I note Bobby B's response "... Any Hub to Telo upgrades going forward will include the monthly taxes and fees." Noting that there is a difference between "Ooma Hub" vs. "Ooma Core", is this statement also true for Telo upgrades from "Ooma Core?" The referenced thread has been locked, otherwise I would have sought clarification there.

For context, I had just purchased a Telo as an upgrade to my "Core" with the assumption that I was grandfathered in -- ready to cancel if not.

Thanks in advance.
#100407 by allo
Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:11 pm
rmt wrote:From http://www.ooma.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12753, I note Bobby B's response "... Any Hub to Telo upgrades going forward will include the monthly taxes and fees." Noting that there is a difference between "Ooma Hub" vs. "Ooma Core", is this statement also true for Telo upgrades from "Ooma Core?" The referenced thread has been locked, otherwise I would have sought clarification there.

For context, I had just purchased a Telo as an upgrade to my "Core" with the assumption that I was grandfathered in -- ready to cancel if not.

Thanks in advance.

You have to pay Taxes!

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12753&p=99565&hilit=tAXES#p99565

Re: Telo Hardware Upgrade Possible without Fees?
by Bobby B » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:27 pm

As a promotion, we used to allow Hub to Telo upgrades without the additional taxes or fees (as the original blog post mentioned in October 2009). Unfortunately, this Telo upgrade program expired earlier this year. Any Hub to Telo upgrades going forward will include the monthly taxes and fees.

#100427 by rmt
Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:53 pm
Thanks for your reply to my inquiry, allo; however, I'm trying to determine if Bobby B's response (which we both linked to and quoted) applies to the Ooma "Core" product in addition to the "Hub" product as was referenced. By referencing only the "Hub" product, it would seem that there may still be the possibility of upgrading from "Core" and not trigger payment of monthly taxes / fees (for qualifying "Core" units that do not currently incur those taxes / fees).
#100445 by allo
Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:57 pm
It doesn't matter what you call it: Hub/Core... Any one wanting to upgrade by getting a new unit has to pay taxes... which incidentally is a lot less than any other phone co: Vonage/ATT/Verizon... even Magic J. charges a yearly fee.
When OOMA started there weren't many Taxes required... but little by little the Govt: Federal, State and Local, all wanted a piece of the pie.
Nobody said you have to upgrade if you like to have the Telo... you can keep you old unit as is which is tax free, and open a second account for the telo.
#103814 by jcbrown
Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:48 pm
Ooma® Telo™ upgrade promotion has expired. When my Ooma® Hub™ quits working, I'll change to Obihai/Obi202 VoIP Telephone adapter with ObiWiFi/Wireless adapter and Google Voice for VoIP service.
#103816 by lbmofo
Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:23 pm
jcbrown wrote:Ooma® Telo™ upgrade promotion has expired. When my Ooma® Hub™ quits working, I'll change to Obihai/Obi202 VoIP Telephone adapter with ObiWiFi/Wireless adapter and Google Voice for VoIP service.

Google Voice may well be free beyond 2012. However, so far, based on previously announcement, calls will be free through 2012. It is free not because it ought to be but because Google can afford it and want to give it out for free; so far anyway.
Another thing to keep in mind....Google Voice cannot be used to place 911 calls.

Side note (cost factor aside):

"Taking Google Voice to the extreme with Ooma"
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/diy-it/taking ... h-ooma/552

This guy thinks Ooma GVE is much better than using Obi. He is using Ooma GVE with 2 GV numbers.