Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#100603 by T1986
Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:56 pm
lbmofo wrote:Hollywood, my guess is that crooks have access to the industry porting database. This problem is likely happening to every landline ported number (newly ported in Comcast voice customer for example); I am guessing this because I had a Comcast voice friend who got hit with some of the same spammers that hit Ooma accounts that I had visibility to. If my guess is correct, there isn't anything Ooma can do.

I am an ooma premier customer and have been for over a year. Yes it may be a security problem with the porting database but the lack of features like wildcard blacklists makes me question this companies honesty. Being able to ban calls that start with "V0" on my caller ID would easily fix my problem. After a year I'm still getting calls to lower my credit card interest rates. I received THREE in the past 24 hours. I like the 911 notification, I like the voice mail going to my email accounts. There are lots of good features with Ooma. But this issue stinks up the entire product and ruins it.

Verizon recently offered me a cellular "home" line and I may switch to it. Since it is basically a desktop cell phone I can legally punch any callers in the nuts that dare spam it. With the Ooma I have no options.

My problems started after I ported my number as well. It's been over a year and I've seen no progress. Thanks for all the VOIP spam!
#100604 by lbmofo
Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:00 pm
T1986 wrote:Verizon recently offered me a cellular "home" line and I may switch to it. Since it is basically a desktop cell phone I can legally punch any callers in the nuts that dare spam it. With the Ooma I have no options.

Other carrier servicing your number will not make the spam go away. What do you mean by legally punch them in the nuts? As if Verizon has control over who calls you? I get spam on my cell too, I'd like to know how I can stop them.
#100606 by T1986
Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:02 pm
lbmofo wrote:
T1986 wrote:Verizon recently offered me a cellular "home" line and I may switch to it. Since it is basically a desktop cell phone I can legally punch any callers in the nuts that dare spam it. With the Ooma I have no options.

Other carrier servicing your number will not make the spam go away. What do you mean by legally punch them in the nuts? As if Verizon has control of who calls you? I get spam on my cell too, I'd like to know how I can stop them.

Is it not true there are different laws governing spammers calling cell phones?
#100608 by lbmofo
Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:04 pm
T1986 wrote:
lbmofo wrote:

Other carrier servicing your number will not make the spam go away. What do you mean by legally punch them in the nuts? As if Verizon has control of who calls you? I get spam on my cell too, I'd like to know how I can stop them.

Is it not true there are different laws governing spammers calling cell phones?

Perhaps less spammer to cell phone (don't know why that is) but once your number is spammed, you can't stop those even if you port your number to a wireless carrier (don't know this for sure but just using logic; I doubt crooks bother to check whether you are cell or home before calling you once they have your number).
#100612 by T1986
Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:43 pm
lbmofo wrote:Perhaps less spammer to cell phone (don't know why that is) but once your number is spammed, you can't stop those even if you port your number to a wireless carrier (don't know this for sure but just using logic; I doubt crooks bother to check whether you are cell or home before calling you once they have your number).

From the ftc.gov web site:

Federal Communications Commission (FCC) regulations prohibit telemarketers from using automated dialers to call cell phone numbers. Automated dialers are standard in the industry, so most telemarketers are barred from calling consumers on their cell phones without their consent.

So one automated dialer calling you is more than enough to take action. On a voip or landline this is not the case.

I would rather Ooma deal with this nonsense but they seem to be doing little or nothing.
#100613 by lbmofo
Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:52 pm
The crooks that spam are not on honor system, I don't think. At least the ones that call me on my cell.
If you move your phone number to a cell carrier, I wouldn't count on spam stopping all of a sudden.
What do you propose that Ooma do? Report all the spammer to FCC? I am not aware of big boys (that provide landline services) do anything about it either (even if they can do anything).
#100616 by T1986
Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:19 pm
Search Google for "Verizon sues telemarketer". You will see an extensive list of results. No the crooks are not on the honor system but Verizon can grind them through the legal system. I've had 5 cell phones with Verizon for a couple years and not a single.. not a single telemarketer call to any line. This is what you get when a company takes telemarketers seriously.

What can Ooma do?
They could find out where all of these BS random CNAMEs are coming from and block the ENTIRE networks. I doubt any calls of importance will be lost.

Ooma could stop advertising their blacklists, privacy features and community blacklists or at least be honest that they don't work well and don't block incoming calls from shady voip providers.

They could clarify when you port your number you will probably open yourself up to massive amount of telemarking calls (this comment is for those of you that want to shift blame to the number porting database)

They could do wildcard blacklisting. I've lurked here for a year and I guess I could be the 10,000th user to request it and have it fall on deaf ears like every other request. The silence on this topic makes me wonder if Ooma may be in on this themselves and somehow making money.

I don't think the four items above are unreasonable. If they would do the first and last item the middle two would resolve themselves.
#100628 by lbmofo
Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:45 am
T1986 wrote:Search Google for "Verizon sues telemarketer". You will see an extensive list of results. No the crooks are not on the honor system but Verizon can grind them through the legal system. I've had 5 cell phones with Verizon for a couple years and not a single.. not a single telemarketer call to any line. This is what you get when a company takes telemarketers seriously.

Verizon Wireless.... "Wireless" is the key word here. AT&T Wireless sues too. Home phones are under different set of rules if the crooks even follow them.

T1986 wrote:What can Ooma do?
They could find out where all of these BS random CNAMEs are coming from and block the ENTIRE networks. I doubt any calls of importance will be lost.

Already does this via Community Blacklist if Premier clients turn it on.

T1986 wrote:Ooma could stop advertising their blacklists, privacy features and community blacklists or at least be honest that they don't work well and don't block incoming calls from shady voip providers.

Ooma Blacklist works far better than most of the offerings out there. Share with us what provider provides better/more advanced services in this regard (Google Voice is not a home phone service).

T1986 wrote:They could clarify when you port your number you will probably open yourself up to massive amount of telemarking calls (this comment is for those of you that want to shift blame to the number porting database)

This problem is not unique to Ooma is my contention. You ever hear "I got rid of my home phone, no one calls me on my home phone anymore other than telemarketers!" People porting from POTS to Comcast or Verizon FiOS, for example, have the same issue.

T1986 wrote:They could do wildcard blacklisting. I've lurked here for a year and I guess I could be the 10,000th user to request it and have it fall on deaf ears like every other request. The silence on this topic makes me wonder if Ooma may be in on this themselves and somehow making money.

I welcome blacklist enhancements. However, don't understand the logic of "Ooma in on it" when this problem is so universal.