Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#99942 by tired_of_spam_calls
Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:55 am
Here is an e-mail that was sent to the CEO of OOMA back on July 25th, 2012.
As of today, I have received no response on this.
OOMA, do you care about your customers?
Full e-mail headers follow this message to prove that this email is legit.

Mr. Stang,

I am writing to you today concerning recent spikes in calls to my home telephone number. More often than not, these calls are from spoofed telephone numbers such as 205-555-1212, etc. These criminals constantly cycle the numbers that they are using. OOMA's blacklist feature works great but I am approaching my limit of 256 telephone numbers. Once I reach this limit, I won't be able to blacklist anymore numbers without deleting others. So, it becomes a game of cat and mouse with these criminals.

I have reached out to OOMA customer care in hopes that something can be done about this. At this point, I have disabled my voice mail and set my blacklist setting to "continuously ring." The calls just keep on coming even more so in the past few days.

I wanted to reach out to you in hopes that a feature termed "whitelisting" may be implemented. This option would allow only "valid" callers through. This whitelisting option was recently implemented by Google for their Google Voice product.

I truly enjoy the value and convenience that OOMA provides.
May I have your help in devising a way around this issue?

from [65.163.207.50] by web180513.mail.gq1.yahoo.com via HTTP; Wed, 25 Jul 2012 11:42:44 PDT
X-Mailer: YahooMailClassic/15.0.8 YahooMailWebService/0.8.120.356233
Message-ID: <1343241764.50049.YahooMailClassic@web180513.mail.gq1.yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 11:42:44 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Spoofed Telephone Numbers
To: eric.stang@ooma.com
#99946 by Hollywood
Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:22 am
did you port your old number to Ooma? I had many of my friends change to Ooma. Me, my mom, and my neighbor ported our old numbers and that's when the spam calls started. Friends that didn't port don't get many spam calls. I ported through Ooma, so I have to assume that's where the problem starts. It is a serious problem privacy. it's NOT ok.
#99948 by tired_of_spam_calls
Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:45 am
Yes. I ported my number several years ago from BellSouth (AT&T).
Not getting a response back from anybody on this reflects poorly on the senior management of this company.
New tools, features, etc need to be implemented to allow the end user to TRACK down these criminals and put a stop to this junk.

Eric Stang, what is your answer?
#99960 by lbmofo
Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:43 am
I know there are probably many CEOs out there answering emails/letters personally but is it reasonable to expect it? On a feature request?
#99961 by tired_of_spam_calls
Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:55 am
Yes. IF the CEO is too busy, he / she can delegate the issue to be handled by someone else.
This did not happen because I was never contacted.
Do I expect a personal response from someone at OOMA? YES I DO.
This issue is IMPORTANT enough to me and many other folks who have posted similar concerns voicing the NECESSITY for whitelisting.

IBmofo, unless you are with OOMA, your future input is not needed at this time.
IBmofo, please do not post meaningless comments that serve no purpose to resolve the matter.

Eric Stang, what is your answer?
#99965 by lbmofo
Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:52 pm
tired_of_spam_calls wrote:IBmofo, unless you are with OOMA, your future input is not needed at this time.
IBmofo, please do not post meaningless comments that serve no purpose to resolve the matter.

I would have left this thread alone but after seeing above, I felt compelled to wish you luck. Well, good luck.
#99967 by Hollywood
Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:53 pm
lbmofo wrote:
Hollywood wrote:I ported through Ooma, so I have to assume that's where the problem starts. It is a serious problem privacy. it's NOT ok.

Don't think it is Ooma but the porting database. /viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9716&start=10#p97402

we ported our numbers THROUGH OOMA. if there is a security breech to their customers, they should fix it. whatever the problem, it originates through a transaction with ooma and they should do what it takes to protect their customers privacy.

I have access to 3 ooma numbers web pages. often the same callers spam me and my friend or my mom within minutes of each other. ooma customers are targeted.
#99968 by lbmofo
Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:59 pm
Hollywood, my guess is that crooks have access to the industry porting database. This problem is likely happening to every landline ported number (newly ported in Comcast voice customer for example); I am guessing this because I had a Comcast voice friend who got hit with some of the same spammers that hit Ooma accounts that I had visibility to. If my guess is correct, there isn't anything Ooma can do.
#100035 by karnold002
Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:30 pm
lbmofo wrote:I am guessing this because I had a Comcast voice friend who got hit with some of the same spammers that hit Ooma accounts that I had visibility to. If my guess is correct, there isn't anything Ooma can do.

I disagree. Expediting the feature request of the OP would be a very good solution, which OOMA has complete control over.