Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#99937 by karnold002
Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:56 pm
My MIL has an unlisted POTS phone #. The caller ID shows as "private caller". But interestingly, the OOMA log actually showed her phone #. Guess there's really not such a thing as an unlisted # anyway any more as Google can find it.

Anyway, I thought I could add her to my phone book so OOMA knows who she is - and then re-enable "anonymous call block". Nope - another bug - she will get dropped every time! :( Why can't I simply allow who I want in and block all of the others I don't. How hard can it be to block by area code, or by caller-ID, or allow exceptions to the blacklist? The information is staring me in the face so why can't OOMA figure it out? My POTS had these features.

This really really could be a great product. I just wish OOMA took these suggestions a bit more seriously, or at a minimum acknowledged them. I wonder if anyone is actually looking at and prioritizing product enhancements. I'm a noob so I really don't know but it would be nice to see someone officially comment on all of the great suggestions made. But without official comment, my assumption is nobody is monitoring these suggestions - let alone planning enhancements.

When is the last time there was a significant functional enhancement to OOMA? I would love to hear my newly formed perceptions are not accurate.
#99939 by EX Bell
Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:20 pm
Ooma Telo release notes

Rollout started August 18. I suggest if you have not done so already, you email customer service with your suggestions. Call blocking needs improvement, I don't disagree. If you search the forum you'll see that the ideas you suggest are not new, but to suggest that after you, a self proclaimed noob, have posted a total of 1 feature request and 3 complaints on this user forum in the last 10 days, and therefor...
karnold002 wrote:nobody is monitoring these suggestions - let alone planning enhancements.

is obsurd.

Ooma is a fine product and does consistently update and improve based on customer feedback. The forums are monitored, which is a primary reason companies host forums. It brings more candid and valuable feedback than satisfaction surveys do. Not everything can be solved at once, and people usually have their own agendas. Feedback via forum is fine, but if you want to be sure they hear your opinions and suggestions, email customer service directly.

support@oomacare.com
#99940 by lbmofo
Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:57 am
karnold002 wrote:why can't OOMA figure it out? My POTS had these features.

Could you point to some link of info so I can take a look?
#99981 by karnold002
Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:32 pm
Ooma is a fine product and does consistently update and improve based on customer feedback. The forums are monitored, which is a primary reason companies host forums. It brings more candid and valuable feedback than satisfaction surveys do. Not everything can be solved at once, and people usually have their own agendas. Feedback via forum is fine, but if you want to be sure they hear your opinions and suggestions, email customer service directly.

I don't doubt it's a fine product, relative to the market. There's lots of evidence and reviews for that. Again, in my noob opinion, it appears to be a relatively immature market.

I work with hardware and software products all day long. It just seems unusual that support is either unwilling or unable to tell us what enhancements are on the radar - that seems highly unusual for reasons we can only speculate on. Yes, I did talk to support - they said they didn't know.

Thank you for your feedback.
#99986 by Hollywood
Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:15 pm
karnold002 wrote:
lbmofo wrote:Could you point to some link of info so I can take a look?

I've used http://www.phonetray.com/ for years successfully on POTS. It sort of works with Ooma, but it's inconsistent. I'm trying to tweak it. But when it works, it's a great product and works as advertised.

So you plug your modem in your computer to your phone line, and the computer software detects the caller ID. I can visualize this and assume it can answer flagged numbers and, answer and play a certain message. ....but for good calls, where is the phone connected and do they ring through on the phone?

I can block numbers on my Panasonic phone, but it reads the caller ID after 1 ring, so that ring still sneaks through. What happens in this case with that program?
#100031 by karnold002
Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:19 pm
I can block numbers on my Panasonic phone, but it reads the caller ID after 1 ring, so that ring still sneaks through. What happens in this case with that program?

Same thing - one ring. Not quite working yet with Ooma, but I'm playing with the settings.
#100032 by karnold002
Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:22 pm
So you plug your modem in your computer to your phone line, and the computer software detects the caller ID. I can visualize this and assume it can answer flagged numbers and, answer and play a certain message. ....but for good calls, where is the phone connected and do they ring through on the phone?
Right - POTS in wall, to modem, to phone. It's programmed only to allow local area codes (except those explicitly blocked) and block all non-local (except those specifically allowed). Can block by #, # mask, or caller ID.

If the modem software determines it should be blocked, it picks up and plays your choice of message. If the software determines it's allowed, the phone rings normally.