Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#99392 by jrspe
Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:21 pm
We have enjoyed the savings and the versatility of our Telo Ooma. It has been steadily improved such that it has quality and features that we never had with the old landline.

One thing still irks me, however. Every few weeks we will pick up the phone in order to make or answer a call and the sound is horrible. Sounds like the call is being made underwater. The only thing we can do is tell the caller we will call back, then reboot/reset the Telo by unplugging then replugging in the power. Takes 3 or 4 minutes to finish resetting itself. Although this is by no means a major enough problem to get rid of Ooma, it is annoying. I do not know the technical reason(s) for the garble, but presumably, if I were to reboot the Telo every so often, it would reset everything so that the garbled phone calls would not even occur.

If my theory is true, why can't Ooma provide an Automatic Reboot function in My Ooma? In other words, allow a person to set an Auto Reboot for, say, every three days at 3:00 am?
#99393 by thunderbird
Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:41 pm
jrspe wrote:We have enjoyed the savings and the versatility of our Telo Ooma. It has been steadily improved such that it has quality and features that we never had with the old landline.

One thing still irks me, however. Every few weeks we will pick up the phone in order to make or answer a call and the sound is horrible. Sounds like the call is being made underwater. The only thing we can do is tell the caller we will call back, then reboot/reset the Telo by unplugging then replugging in the power. Takes 3 or 4 minutes to finish resetting itself. Although this is by no means a major enough problem to get rid of Ooma, it is annoying. I do not know the technical reason(s) for the garble, but presumably, if I were to reboot the Telo every so often, it would reset everything so that the garbled phone calls would not even occur.

If my theory is true, why can't Ooma provide an Automatic Reboot function in My Ooma? In other words, allow a person to set an Auto Reboot for, say, every three days at 3:00 am?

Sounds like a good idea. But there is a good chance that your Modem or Internet Service is causing the problem.

How is your setup connected, Modem-Ooma-Router or Modem-Router-Ooma?

Next time you have a problem, only reboot the Modem (not the Ooma Device) and see if the problems clears up.

One thing you can do if you haven't already done so:
To help stabilize your Ooma Internet connection turn off MAC address Spoofing, which can cause dropped calls, garbled voice, and other problems, by doing the following:
If your Ooma device is connected Modem-Ooma-Router, access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem and the Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Ooma device.

If your connection is Modem-Router-Ooma, temporarily connect a network cable from your Ooma device home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if turned on. Reboot the computer. Access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem, your Router and Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Router. When the Router is done booting, repower your Ooma device.
#99394 by jrspe
Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:59 pm
thunderbird wrote: How is your setup connected, Modem-Ooma-Router or Modem-Router-Ooma?

Modem-Ooma-Router

thunderbird wrote:Next time you have a problem, only reboot the Modem (not the Ooma Device) and see if the problems clears up.

I'll give it a try (but I am doubtful).

thunderbird wrote:One thing you can do if you haven't already done so: ... turn off MAC address Spoofing &etc.

Already done but thanks anyway. [EDIT] Whoops ... no it wasn't set to 'Built-In' I give it a try. Thnx.
#99395 by lbmofo
Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:26 pm
For the time being, before you find the answer you can make use of them christmas light timers to briefly cut power to your Ooma in the middle of the night.