Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#99164 by lbmofo
Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:39 am
LoriToo wrote:Hi, lbmofo~

Ooma describes this under Premier features:
"Call Screening - If you don’t recognize the caller-ID, just listen to their message through the speaker. If it turns out you want to take the call, just pick up the phone."

Are you saying this works on the Basic plan also?

Thanks for sticking with me!
Lori

I meant with an answering machine. One of the basic functions of answering machine.

Keep in mind that the call waiting calls you don't answer will end up in Ooma voicemail (nice fall back).
#99190 by Bobcar
Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:33 pm
I have a Pansonic KXTG-7644 with my Ooma Telo. It does most of what you want and has call block. I have the answering system set for 4 rings and Ooma set for 5 rings.. If I ever want to use Ooma voice mail, all I have to do is turn the answering system off.. You can also upload your contacts from your cell phone via bluetooth which will give you call ID name and number for all your personal contacts..
#99215 by LoriToo
Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:23 pm
Bobcar, I think that is exactly the kind of info I need. You are basically confirming that Ooma with Basic (not Premier) will allow the signals through in order to use the functions of an outside answering machine.

I checked out the Panasonic you have - it sounded really good - except some reviewers reported it has no speed dials. ?? This surprises me these days! Gotta do a bit more research, I guess, but it seems difficult to find the perfect phone system!

Thanks again!
#99218 by Leeway
Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:39 am
I have Panasonics with an answer machine and I use both Ooma and my answer machines. As IBMIFO said it is a nice backup. I have my own answer machine set to 4 rings and my Ooma set to 5 rings. I have different messages for each of them. Mine picks up when I'm not here so I have the usual 'leave a msg announcement'.

On my Ooma recordin, my message says "I'm on another call right now and will call you back shortly". My Ooma answer will kick in if I am on a phone call and I get a flash for an incoming call. I can look at my display and if I choose not to flash and answer the call, then they will get my Ooma message that I'll call them right back.

My Panasonics have call blocking on their own and they will display any name I have in their phonebook even without Ooma premier. The Panasonics ring on a blocked call once or twice but the display shows a bell with a red line through it and of course the phone number is shown which is normally a strange area code to me.

Donna