Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#97166 by kenepp1
Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:30 am
I have had OOMA Telo (and the internet) for a year now on dry-loop DSL from AT&T. I have been very satisfied with OOMA. Due to slow internet speeds and increased price, I am considering switching to Time Warner cable internet. My question is once the DSL dry-loop line is disconnected and the cable modem is in place, will OOMA begin working again, or do I have to make some setup changes? :?:
#97167 by lbmofo
Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:35 am
However you have your setup, just remove the DSL modem from the picture and replace with your cable modem. That's it.

If your DSL modem is one of those modem/router combo with wifi, you may have to get a router so you can have wifi.

If your Ooma is in front of the router, may want to up the upstream QoS value.

If your Ooma is behind the router, may want to go in and disable upstream QoS by setting the value to 0.

"Optimal Setup" for your reference:

If after Router - viewtopic.php?t=12403

If before Router - viewtopic.php?t=9536#p66155
#97176 by thunderbird
Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:21 am
lbmofo wrote:However you have your setup, just remove the DSL modem from the picture and replace with your cable modem. That's it.

If your DSL modem is one of those modem/router combo with wifi, you may have to get a router so you can have wifi.

If your Ooma is in front of the router, may want to up the upstream QoS value.

If your Ooma is behind the router, may want to go in and disable upstream QoS by setting the value to 0.

"Optimal Setup" for your reference:

If after Router - viewtopic.php?t=12403

If before Router - viewtopic.php?t=9536#p66155

If the PPPoE DSL login was entered in Ooma Setup in the Ooma Device, Ooma Setup will have to be accessed and the Internet connection set to Automatic.
#97189 by kenepp1
Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:12 pm
Sorry, I see now I entered this in the wrong section, but I really appreciate the help.

How do I get back into setup to check the PPPoE DSL login?
#97193 by lbmofo
Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:06 pm
kenepp1 wrote:How do I get back into setup to check the PPPoE DSL login?

In the "Optimal Setup" links, you'd find how to get to setup.ooma.com
Once there, it is on the "Internet" tab.
#97200 by kenepp1
Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:59 am
:D
Thanks everyone for the help. When I first receiver my OOMA Telo, I just plugged it ito my cat 5 internet and phone line in the kitchen. The software downloaded and it has worked great ever since without changing anything. Maybe I'll be so lucky with a faster TW cable modem too.
#97206 by rmeden
Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:22 pm
My $.02...

I dropped DSL and went with Time Warner Cable and have been very disappointed.

1. AT&T was much more reliable. I notice at least one TWC outage a month. With DSL I had one every 2-3 years!
2. With DSL, I was able to make dial-up modem connections through my Telo. Doesn't work with TWC (Jitter too high)

As soon as I have the time I'm going to switch back.

Robert
#97207 by lbmofo
Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:56 pm
Robert, I suspect your cable internet service maybe subpar.

murphy wrote:Connect to the status web page in your cable modem
http://192.168.100.1
Find the downstream and upstream power in dBmV and the Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR)…
The downstream signal power should be between -10 and +10 dBmV. (Some say between -15 and +15 but I feel that is pushing your luck)
The SNR should be 35 or more.
The upstream power level should be less than 55 dBmV.

If you are DOCSIS 3, the tolerance needs to be tighter. Something like upstream power less than 50 and downstream power between -7 and 7.

Check it out.