Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#109615 by lbmofo
Wed May 08, 2013 10:38 am
securesocket wrote:It sounded like adding a date to the blacklist wasn't a big deal, but I sure don't see it in there unless I'm doing something wrong.

If you click on the individual entries, you'll see "date added." Although as it is now, not much use because you can't see in a column and you can't sort by it etc but a pretty good field to leverage for better editability of the Blacklist in the future.

securesocket wrote:My personal blacklist is around 80 entries, some a couple of years old. I'd sure like to manage it better and see what value it brings. To me this is one of the big benefits of Ooma, but it's hard to brag about it when you don't have any idea how effective it is. Give me numbers. :)

For now, brag about wildcard blacklisting...Ooma is far ahead of others in this regard allowing 256 blacklist entries with flexibility to send to VM or never never land. With wildcard blacklisting, you are able to use 10 wildcard entries to block all numbers. Not that you would do that but demonstrates how powerful it is.
#109626 by securesocket
Wed May 08, 2013 12:15 pm
OK. I see the date now. What I was hoping for was a column and thinking more about it, a check box soI could delete multiple old entries at once.

I'm searching for a way to make the management of the blacklist intuitive, i.e. I have this number in list that I added two years ago and it hasn't had a hit in over a year. Do I need it?

I set up the wildcard blacklist for a number. That's nice. What I noticed though was that when I look in the call logs, those numbers that matched (these would be existing entries in the call log), don't get flagged with the STOP symbol like they do when you add the number individually. Bug?

Last question, any timeline for giving us the counts or at least a column that shows last time it got a hit? Would that be any easier.

We really need to see metrics in sortable columns BTW. Opening every entry is too burdensome IMHO.
#109628 by lbmofo
Wed May 08, 2013 12:27 pm
securesocket wrote:OK. I see the date now. What I was hoping for was a column and thinking more about it, a check box soI could delete multiple old entries at once.

Yes, deleting multiple entries would be nice.

securesocket wrote:I set up the wildcard blacklist for a number. That's nice. What I noticed though was that when I look in the call logs, those numbers that matched (these would be existing entries in the call log), don't get flagged with the STOP symbol like they do when you add the number individually. Bug?

I think Ooma just didn't come around to that yet. Right now, just flagging the ones that are explicit in Blacklist.

securesocket wrote:Last question, any timeline for giving us the counts or at least a column that shows last time it got a hit? Would that be any easier.

No timeline heard yet.

securesocket wrote:We really need to see metrics in sortable columns BTW. Opening every entry is too burdensome IMHO.

Here are the items brought forth to Ooma: /viewtopic.php?t=15556
#109678 by Telo_BK
Thu May 09, 2013 3:27 pm
These have been mentioned- but please add:

1) Blacklisting by name (with wildcards)
2) Date field for date added
3) Ability to determine how call is handled per-number (not one option for entire blacklist)
#109679 by EX Bell
Thu May 09, 2013 3:34 pm
Telo_BK wrote:These have been mentioned- but please add:

3) Ability to determine how call is handled per-number (not one option for entire blacklist)

+1 On item #3. That would be brilliant!
#109688 by lbmofo
Thu May 09, 2013 5:06 pm
Telo_BK wrote:These have been mentioned- but please add:

1) Added to the Collection of Blacklist Related Requests. Not sure if this will ever see daylight; looks very taxing.
2) Added to Allow Blacklist Sort
3) This is Blacklist entry level treatment option
#109709 by Telo_BK
Thu May 09, 2013 10:46 pm
The date is not in the list (table) as you requested. You have to click on the number. Not a huge deal, but an unnecessary inconvenience (since you can't sort the list either)- they have some modern technology that I hear tell can do all sorts of amazing things.

The other day I saw a guy in the middle of the woods talking to himself. I was unafrraid- so I asked what he was doing? He had a newfangled gizmo that he claimed would let him talk on to just about anyone in the world. I heard a voice in the speaker? I don't think it was a recording because they don't make reels that small. But how did they get the tubes to fit?

But I digress...
#109718 by lbmofo
Fri May 10, 2013 7:19 am
Telo_BK wrote:The date is not in the list (table) as you requested. You have to click on the number. Not a huge deal, but an unnecessary inconvenience (since you can't sort the list either)- they have some modern technology that I hear tell can do all sorts of amazing things.

The other day I saw a guy in the middle of the woods talking to himself. I was unafrraid- so I asked what he was doing? He had a newfangled gizmo that he claimed would let him talk on to just about anyone in the world. I heard a voice in the speaker? I don't think it was a recording because they don't make reels that small. But how did they get the tubes to fit?

But I digress...

It is rare but once in a while, I do run into people who seemingly got it all figured out. When I do, I obsequiously ask them to take it easy on the rest of us that don't know much; rather, share their wealth of knowledge.
#109730 by Telo_BK
Fri May 10, 2013 11:40 am
It is rare but once in a while, I do run into people who seemingly got it all figured out.

Me too, I wonder whether Ooma might hire one or two to start working on some bugs and feature implementations... I haven't been an Ooma customer for nearly as long as you. So I beg your advice, kind sir- do you think that idea will ever see the light of day?
#109732 by lbmofo
Fri May 10, 2013 12:18 pm
Telo_BK wrote:I wonder whether Ooma might hire one or two to start working on some bugs and feature implementations...

Perhaps they need more "embedded systems designer" to prevent future design fails. ;)

Telo_BK wrote:I haven't been an Ooma customer for nearly as long as you. So I beg your advice, kind sir- do you think that idea will ever see the light of day?

If you are talking about

Telo_BK wrote:1) Blacklisting by name (with wildcards)

I think it would be too taxing (they don't make reels that small and likely can't fit all the tubes in) but then Ooma said they were working on it a while back so I might be wrong.

ntoy wrote:However, we are working on a feature to blacklist by name.

However, I defer to you for a more authoritative opinion given your extensive background in this arena.

Telo_BK wrote:As someone who has designed a good deal of telephone equipment from handsets to switches, analog and digital- I can tell you authoritatively that if "Generating the actual tones would feed into the mic and interfere with detection on the remote side" is a true statement- somebody messed up the design. I submit that even el-cheapo wired and wireless home telephones can do that trick with no problem at all.