Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#95702 by krispras
Wed May 09, 2012 10:16 am
I spoke to customer rep regarding porting my vonage number to ooma and I was told that it would take about 3-4 weeks to do so. Apart from that, I need to keep my vonage service active till the time porting is complete. This doesn't sound nice at all for I have to pay for two services when using only one really and also pay $39.99 porting charges to ooma. Any experiences on how this really works?

Thanks
Kris
#95704 by lbmofo
Wed May 09, 2012 12:12 pm
Porting may only take a few days but since it sometimes could take a lot longer, Ooma just says 3 to 4 weeks or more. Recently porting from big name guys have taken less than a week; AT&T => 2 days, Qwest => 3 days for example. Not sure about Vonage of late but got to be quicker than the reported 2 weeks from a while back. But do expect the worst so that you can be pleasantly surprised when port finishes sooner.

This is how porting works...you have to keep your existing service up and running (means you have to keep paying for it) while porting is taking place. As for Ooma's service, good thing not much $ compared to what you pay for Vonage.
#95705 by Seir
Wed May 09, 2012 1:27 pm
I just recently ported a CenturyLink phone number and it took a total of 5 days; yes, you have to keep the Vonage account active during the port (to get access to the phone number) and with CenturyLink, they automatically closed that line down about a week later (we had two phone lines with them and mine was the first to port). Will be interesting to see how things go with the second line (now has the DSL on it as well)...