Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#95655 by scoutconnor
Mon May 07, 2012 8:41 pm
I am considering purchasing a battery backup system for my Ooma/ DSL modem-router combo to keep things running in the event of a power outage.
I've been looking at them for years but don't know what would be sufficient. I'm not looking to spend a ton of money but I'd like to be able to keep my Telo and modem (with wireless on, as I don't think it can be turned off while on battery) running for several hours (maybe even with calls?) without the power grid.
Any suggestions as to the capacity that would be necessary?
#95657 by lbmofo
Mon May 07, 2012 9:56 pm
Don't really know how to calculate how long an UPS would last with modem, router, ooma, phone hooked up. But if UPS can keep a desktop running for almost an hour, it should keep up your Ooma needs for more than a couple or 3 hours?

With my cable ISP, the minute the power goes out in the neighborhood, the modem signal goes bye bye too (so I found out) so can't really keep my Ooma up and running but your DSL should work (phone companies usually have battery backup for their systems).

Here is one topic on UPS: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7620&start=10#p84768

FYI, AT&T Uverse Voice uses these for battery backup: http://www.belkin.com/gatewaybattery/
#95686 by southsound
Tue May 08, 2012 5:30 pm
lbmofo wrote:With my cable ISP, the minute the power goes out in the neighborhood, the modem signal goes bye bye too (so I found out) so can't really keep my Ooma up and running but your DSL should work (phone companies usually have battery backup for their systems).

Utilities are mandated to use battery backup for their voice connections - but CenturyLink (previously Qwest) does NOT back up their DSL remote terminal equipment. Seems strange - the RTE is only 6 feet from the cabinet that provides voice service and IS backed up. I guess they feel it would cost too much for them to provide the kind of service we expect in the modern world.
#95816 by GMOOMA
Sun May 13, 2012 8:22 am
IMO, if you can afford it get a pepaid cell phone as a your "PLAN B" and remember to keep it fully charged, especially in risky months such as winter or bad weather events. You do not have to have an activated service plan to call 911 even on prepaid phones. First, you should determine whether you will HAVE dsl service during a power outage... if not you are SOL with that plan and a UPS become moot. IMO, a 750va+ will be plenty if you just want to connect your dsl modem, router & ooma to it.. if you have other connected equipment (computer & monitor) buy as big a UPS as you can reasonably afford. I have a 1500 and 1000va ups for different equipment in the same room. Also, as maintenance, you will probably have to replace the batteries every 6 or so years (sooner if you use & drain the batteries alot). After 2 - 4 battery changes (or later of 12-18 years), you'll be better off buying a new UPS as these parts degrade after a dozen+ years and won't have 100% spike protection the as if brand-new.

My guess is cell phone coverage would be more reliable than guessing if a dsl & internet will be there.. when I had Verizon FIOS during a power outage.. the internet & tv dropped out and ONLY phone service was able to run on the FIOS ONT battery.
#101385 by dschmidt_2000
Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:14 pm
lbmofo wrote:FYI, AT&T Uverse Voice uses these for battery backup: http://www.belkin.com/gatewaybattery/

Anyone use one of these for battery backup of their Ooma core?
I've already got a APC SmartUPS 700, but it won't go for hours.

Thinking it is 'smarter' to go 12V out and stay DC instead of DC-AC-DC like a standard UPS when the power fails.

What I don't know is if the Ooma core will like the 12-13.8V range (which may not be a big deal as the Ooma core is powered by a transformer based wall wart without regulation).
#104979 by wwest
Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:21 pm
lbmofo wrote:Don't really know how to calculate how long an UPS would last with modem, router, ooma, phone hooked up. But if UPS can keep a desktop running for almost an hour, it should keep up your Ooma needs for more than a couple or 3 hours?

With my cable ISP, the minute the power goes out in the neighborhood, the modem signal goes bye bye too (so I found out) so can't really keep my Ooma up and running but your DSL should work (phone companies usually have battery backup for their systems).

Here is one topic on UPS: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7620&start=10#p84768

FYI, AT&T Uverse Voice uses these for battery backup: http://www.belkin.com/gatewaybattery/

Yes, and if you happen to be relying on Comcast you will have to reach them by cell and they will not issue response work order until 4 of your neighbors have also called in...provided you have 4 neighbors with cell phones.

Comcast is SLOWLY installing UPS.

IDIOTS, absolute IDIOTS.